2nd Trimester

A little venting re: baby names

So my husband is the youngest of 7 and his whole family feels the need to chime in when discussing our baby name.  They have never done this before, we have two other girls, but this is our first boy.  We are choosing right now between two names and they all have an opinion, unsolicited of course.  It is driving me crazy.  Our baby, our name right? Maybe it's just the hormones talking...

Re: A little venting re: baby names

• Loading the player...
  • Yea, our mistake.  My DH's mom asked, he told the names we were thinking, and now all 6 sibs plus spouses and kids are weighing in (despite the fact we didn't tell any of them!).  I literally get 10-12 text messages/emails/phone calls a day with "better ideas" or "one more suggestion" or "___ name is bad because"  It is driving me crazy.  We have stopped talking about it with them, and my DH has tried telling them that "we are going to name our baby what we want."  But still it comes.  I just needed to vent in a safe space! 
  • you should just tell them that you have both decided on a name and they will find out at birth.  We know our name but we are keeping it a secret until birth, that way no one can say oh not that name or oh I have a better name than that.  

Our girl our name!!!

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Smart, so smart! :)

• After a bad experience with number 1 and the name, we are just telling people we are undecided...even though we aren't.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Not their decision! I hate when ppl have an opinion on YOUR child's name. My FIL was so sure we'd name our boy after him. My question is why the fuck would we do that? He's never done anything for us. EVER. He's never even bought us dinner. We choose Ethan Michael (Michael is my dad's name, and someone who does A LOT for us.)Needless to say FIL's nose was bent out of shape. But I don't care. Why on earth would he think we would name our son after him?
  • I wish we would have stayed quiet about ours... Everytime I mention it both our families talk about how much they hate it. We have pretty much agreed on this name since we met! Luckily I am one to not give a S*** if they like the name. They just have to like the baby. However, now im getting the "please do the middle name ____ it would mean so much to me" stuff.... bllurrggg...
  • Your baby = your opinion is the only one that matters. DH and I have told people before, well when you have your own child you can name it that. Even if they are 50+ and their children are grown.

I am tired of everyone weighing in too. We don't even know the sex yet but people feel the need to throw out ideas. It's like well I will definitely NOT be using your suggestion just because you're getting on my damn nerves. I've told DH were acting like we don't know until the baby is here. People can f*** off.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• We are getting the same type of responses.  We are team green and we have pretty much decided on the girls name which everyone seems to like.  The boys name however is one we are pretty sure about but we get the oh that's nice (and the facial expression gives away what they really think).  Last night DH told his mom and her response was no.  That was followed up by no several more times and I don't like that.  DH just said you can't say no.  You have the right to have an opinion, but you don't have the right to say no.  It is our choice.  We looked at more common names, but well, they are common.  We wanted something that would be unique without being too odd.  We will see how much more we hear about it.

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• I know the feeling...I didn't want to tell anyone what we were thinking, but in-laws were constantly asking, so I finally caved and I regret it so much! Mind your own business!
    And now since we told them our options it's all "Have you decided which yet? You need to pick one!"
    No, I'm pretty sure we have another four months for that.
  • I guess I'm not the only one... Thanks for the support and understanding ladies!  
  • Even though this sounds so annoying, on the plus side you might hear something you really like from what they suggested... or like suggested before just go with the "its a surprise" plan and tell them that you no longer want suggestions because y'all have your hearts sets on a name already.
  • Who cares? It's your baby. If they have actual valid input, like initials spell something funny or nicknames that might get the kid teased, fine. Otherwise, I ignore all of it. It's hard enough for the parents to agree on a name! :P
  • I agree with the people that said don't tell them anything!  If my family wants to be all judgmental about the name we choose, they can do it behind my back after the fact because what's done will be done by then :D My sisters asked which names we were considering and I told everyone that we were keeping it private until LO's birth.  Other people will just get you over-thinking it even more than you probably already are, or second guessing your decision.  It's between you and your SO and no one else!
    MC 13w2d D&C 01/03/2014.  Miss you, my little butterfly.
  • The only person outside my husband that even knows the names we are thinking about is my mother lol

BabyFruit Ticker
    *~*Landon Robert Montoya*~*
  • It gets old when you hear the question a lot, happened with our first. Thankfully it has not happened as often this time around, but when it does we have a prepared response. Every time someone asks what we are naming our child, we add on a new name to the list. This works best with non-traditional name choices and if you can deliver the entire name with a straight face.
  • We named our DS Laithen & we made the mistake of telling our family about it in advance. Our family gave us a lot of flack for the name we chose & constantly berated us with other ideas non-stop. in my opinion they blew it so now none of them will know the name we choose for this baby until we announce it after delivery & they will told flat out to put up or shut up, because I don't need their BS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"