Breastfeeding

Middle of the night feedings

LO sleeps through the night now and so she doesn't need the middle of night feedings. But I still need to wake up at least once to pump or else my boobs get sore and rock hard while sleeping. Is there something I can do so I don't need to wake in the middle of the night to pump without drying up my supply? Or do I keep doing this? What did you do when your lo started sleeping through the night?

Re: Middle of the night feedings

• How old is LO? Your supply tends to regulate around 3 months. That happened to me at first too, I could only go about 4 hours. But now at 14 weeks I have gone up to 7 with no drop in supply or soreness.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Yeah lo is 4 months but has been sttn for a while but I don't think my body has regulated yet. Thanks for the advice! I'll try to avoid pumping in the middle of the night.
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • taraleannetaraleanne member
    edited December 2013
    If you have been pumping, your supply doesn't know that you don't need that milk. Stop pumping. Hand express if necessary to comfort. Your supply will only regulate if you don't keep stimulating it.
    Agreed completely. I was pumping. Then I stopped and just hand expressed for comfort in the motn and morning and my supply definitely regulated after a week or so. I decided to go back to pumping before I went to sleep so I could build up a freezer stash though. (and to offer in a cup at solids meals or for cereal) 

• I only ever hand expressed just enough to go back to sleep if I woke and DD wasn't up in the MOTN. Of course, it took about 9 months for DD to STTN but still, your body will make what you need so you shouldn't worry too much about waking just to pump.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"