Babies: 0 - 3 Months

New Here: Plastic Bottle Sterilization

Hi there,

I'm 37 weeks pregnant, Team Blue, FTM. We are in the process of getting the final touches organized before his arrival.

I was looking to find how to sterilize plastic bottles before the first use as we going to EFF. I didn't want to boil them since they are plastic. Do I just put them in the microwave?

TIA!
Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
Partially Complex (my blog)

Re: New Here: Plastic Bottle Sterilization

• CDMay2006CDMay2006 member
    edited December 2013
    Don't microwave unless you are using a sterilization bag. It is safe to sterilize in a big pot of boiling water (10 min); that is the manufacture recommended method.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • wedding06 said:

Does your dishwasher have a sterilizer setting or hot wash? That is what I used.

This is exactly what we did

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 12/19/08 m/c 12/26/08 4 weeks 5 days BFP 10/12/12 m/c 11/19/12 9 weeks...love you forever my angel babies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Plastic bottles and bottle parts can be boiled. The only plastic bottle I know of that doesn't do well with heat sterilization is the Playtex Drop-In shell. Those tend to warp and melt.

I like microwave steam bags, but I've also washed bottles plenty of times in the dishwasher. Just use whatever setting makes it hotter, whether that's a hot wash or heated dry.

You can also sterilize bottles in a sink full of warm water (under 140 degrees) and bleach. You'd have to look up the proportions, but I think it's something like 1-2 Tbsp bleach per 5 gallons of water. Yes, bleach is perfectly safe even for baby products.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Read the package inserts. I have Dr. Browns and ventaire, I boiled all parts of the Dr. Browns and only some parts of the Ventaire. I also use the dishwasher every once in a while. After initial sterilization you only have to hand wash unless baby gets sick or gets thrush.
  • I used the Medela microwave steam bags.
  • We  use the Avent microwave sterilizer

BFP1- 2/21/2013- L was born 10/25/2013!
    BFP2- 4/18/2014- F was born 12/29/2014! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"