January 2014 Moms

Evening Primrose Oil

Any of you ever tried Evening Promrose oil capsules to help move things along?

Re: Evening Primrose Oil

• My midwife told me not until I'm due, then take then orally and vaginally. Along with sex, to help get things going. But nothing will work unless baby is ready to come.
  • I'm kind of leery of that because I used to take it around ovulation for fertility issues and it caused bleeding for me. It causes uterine contractions. I have no idea if things would be different for inducing labor.
    Married 3/5/11
    BFP: 6/19/12, D&C 8/23/12
    BFP: 5/17/13, Born 12/16/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
    January Siggy Challenge: When I am done breastfeeding...

• Loading the player...
  • I am starting today at 36 weeks with 1 capsule vaginally at bedtime, then next week I'll increase to two vaginally at bedtime. At 38 weeks I will be adding 1 oral in AM, and at 39 weeks I'll increase to 2 orally in AM. FYI I am not a midwife nor an OB so anything stated above is a do at your own risk type of thing. At 38 weeks I'll also be starting red raspberry leaf tea. You do have to be wary about the timing of any supplement that may cause contractions and ideally consult your doctor.
    Baby Boy #2
    Due Date 11/10/16
  • My midwife told me to start taking them at 37 weeks. She told me that they won't actually put you into labor, just soften your cervix.
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • @blondie7385 yep as far up as you can get. Wear a panty liner!
    Baby Boy #2
    Due Date 11/10/16
  • I started taking it orally at 36 weeks and adding in vaginal at 37 weeks. Orally 2 a day and vaginally 2 at night. Monday at my 38 week appt we shall see if anythings going on!
  • I did with DD orally.  Don't think it did anything.  My OB did recommend to start taking it orally as soon as I am feeling better (RSV has been going around our house so don't want baby born now).  Just an FYI, if you are trying for a VBAC, you are not supposed to use it vaginally.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Elsutto2 said:
    My midwife told me to start taking them at 37 weeks. She told me that they won't actually put you into labor, just soften your cervix.

So I'm assuming if your cervix is already soft, there's no point to it, then? Is that correct?
    DS1 born 3/27/12 DS2 due 1/8/14
  • Do you legit just stuff the capsule in your vag? I'm guessing it just dissolves in there?

Love it. I was thinkin the same thing. Great minds labor buddy. Great minds

• Elsutto2 said:

My midwife told me to start taking them at 37 weeks. She told me that they won't actually put you into labor, just soften your cervix.

So I'm assuming if your cervix is already soft, there's no point to it, then? Is that correct?

Yea I would think so. I had a cervical check at 37 weeks and was completely closed and hard, so that's probably why she suggested it.
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • Elsutto2 said:
    Elsutto2 said:

Yea I would think so. I had a cervical check at 37 weeks and was completely closed and hard, so that's probably why she suggested it.

Ok that makes sense, thanks!
    DS1 born 3/27/12 DS2 due 1/8/14
  • I took it with DS. I have no idea if it did anything but I am starting to take it three times per day now as well. I am 39 weeks on Monday. Everything I have ever read or heard from my midwives is that it will not induce labor. It ripens the cervix which will help you progress and open up easier. My labor with DS was only five hours so maybe it did help.
  • When I was pg with DS2, starting at 38 weeks DH and I would have sex every other day and I would insert EPO vaginally on the off days that we didn't have sex. Still, with all that, I didn't go into labor until 40w3d and it took me over 24 hours to dilate past 2cm. 

Additionally I remember the EPO burning a little bit and making my vagina feel uncomfortable. I don't think it really did much for me. That said, I still may try it again....who knows for sure.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Arrgcr said:
    Do you legit just stuff the capsule in your vag? I'm guessing it just dissolves in there?

Love it. I was thinkin the same thing. Great minds labor buddy. Great minds

Yes, this! Seriously... It just dissolves?
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

• It's a gel capsul it will dissolve. Quickly I might add. Usually with in 10 minutes or less. At bed time is best. Wear a liner incase it leaks out
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been taking the primrose oil under the guidance of my MW since 37 weeks, morning and afternoon orally and evening vaginally. (As DH says, "one if by land, two if by sea.") I am fine with sticking it up the vag and all but sometimes it makes me feel more "ooey gooey" than I already am right now (sorry TMI) so I am just taking it orally right now.
  • I started then at 35 weeks 1 a day now at 36w 2 a day and do 3 when 37w. I haven't felt contractions, I just take them to soften my cervix. There is no proof that they induce labor but I guess you never know how someone might react to them. I also drink Red Rasberry tea to strenghten my uterus.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"