Baby Showers

Environmentally Friendly Registry Note, bahaha!

nah82nah82 member
edited December 2013 in Baby Showers
Okay, so this is a registry for a bridal shower that I was invited to, not a baby shower, but I just noticed the registry note at the top and had to laugh.  This shower is for a couple who lives on the opposite side of the country from where the shower is taking place.  Therefore, they would fly home for the shower and back.

And they registered for A LOT of very expensive (breakable) glassware.  They chose to register at two stores whose closest locations are at least 2 hours from where the shower is being held and where the majority of the guests live (therefore, most guests would be ordering online if they buy from the registries.)

So...the statement "We are protecting the environment and prefer gifts without gift wrap or box" seems kind of off, doesn't it?  Is it more environmentally friendly to order $395 glassware online, and take it OUT of the box when it arrives, then gift it in a basket, for the bride to turn around and box it back up to fly or ship back to her house on the other side of the country?  What exactly would be environmentally friendly about that?

Macy's also offers me the nifty feature to call and donate to their "Dream fund" by phone so I don't have to bother giving them a pesky card with a check or gift card inside...at least that would be legitimately environmentally friendly, I guess.

imageimage
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Environmentally Friendly Registry Note, bahaha!

• 2013mommy said:
    I holy shitballs. Why does anyone need $400 glassware?! I really don't get it. We eloped so I never had a bridal shower. When we bought our house last summer I filled my kitchen on a trip to Home Goods. We entertain and no one seems to notice my glassware cost $20 ... And a dream fund? FFS. 
    Not only do they want $395 glassware, they are requesting TWO sets of each type of glass!

I totally agree, I only own wine glasses that I bought on sale at Pier1 on sale for $1 a piece.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow they are a mess! Lol
  • Laurendag said:

Why the ever loving fucking shit would you need a set of SIX glasses that cost almost 400$.

That's just, shit fucking stupid.

ETA: I just realized they want two of each. I can't even

And remember, I only print screened a portion of the registry.  They would also "love" 8 bath sheets that cost $64 a piece, a fitted sheet that costs $250, 2 pairs of pillow cases that cost $110 per pair (this is not the price for the entire sheet set, each piece is sold separately!!) and a Le Creuset enameled cast iron "french" oven for $325 (you can definitely get this same type of thing with a different brand name for $40-$50 at Sears).

What did I get for my bridal shower from this person?  Her name on her mom's card with a set of sheets that probably ran around $15.

Not to mention, anybody who actually attends the wedding will have to pay airfare and hotel stay to travel to the other side of the country.

I did not attend the shower.
  • i seriously didn't even know they made glassware that expensive.

imageimage
  • t loves r said:
    Wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly to not fly across the country, not ship the gifts back across the country to their home. Gosh, you would think with all their concern for the environment, they would just use hand-me-down or thrifted glassware. Gag. Don't hide behind the environment for your poor etiquette choices. Edited for misspelling.

Exactly. Jet fuel is SO environmentally friendly.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • nah82nah82 member
    edited December 2013
    Meery82 said:
    This shit better not be for Soup Cousin...
    Nope, she was just married in October.  RSVP Maybe Cousin that sent out save the dates asking for a "no" or "maybe" RSVP seven months in advance.
  • I got a few of those pieces from my grandmother when she passed. They're seriously the least practical things EVER! They're hand wash with mild detergent and a lint-free cloth only (I detest anything I can't put in the dishwasher); they're fairly fragile; and if you have liquid in them for more than an hour or two, the lead from the crystal can be detected in the drink (which makes me too nervous to use them anyway). I much prefer my glasses that are just glass, washable, and were only like 10% of that price.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• namcgee said:
    Meery82 said:
    Nope, she was just married in October.  RSVP Maybe Cousin that sent out save the dates asking for a "no" or "maybe" RSVP seven months in advance.

LOL. I must've missed that thread.
  • Meery82 said:
    namcgee said:
    Meery82 said:

It got overshadowed by the 150 person shower that required save the dates here.
  • Meery82 said:
    namcgee said:
    Meery82 said:

It got overshadowed by the 150 person shower that required save the dates here.
    Ah, I remember now.
  • I would wrap my gift three to four times with tons of ribbons and bows! :-)
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• @namcgee wow, you have an interesting group of stories/personalities!  8-}  I'm over here lurking from March '14 .. someone had XP'd the Soup Cousin story and I loved every minute of it (sorry you had to go through that).  I also love the second item in the screen shot -- ship these in a whopping 55 business days?!

March Siggy Challenge .. What I miss the most during pregnancy

image  image
       Pregnancy Ticker
  • @namcgee wow, you have an interesting group of stories/personalities!  8-}  I'm over here lurking from March '14 .. someone had XP'd the Soup Cousin story and I loved every minute of it (sorry you had to go through that).  I also love the second item in the screen shot -- ship these in a whopping 55 business days?!

USUALLY ships within 55 business days.  Don't count on that though.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ArgyleBrideArgyleBride member
    edited December 2013
    Hold on, hold on, I'm all for the hate but I'm not sure it's fair here.  I registered at Macy's when I married, and I distinctly recall them asking, "Do you want things wrapped?" pretty much exactly like that, and I said, "Naw."  Because I didn't care.  Because I didn't want people to to be asked to pay for gift wrapping.  And sure, if it's getting shipped directly to me, for the environment, why the hell not?  Now that I see this thread, I realize this horrifying little addendum was likely added to the registry.  I never stalked--only registered for a china pattern--so I wouldn't know.  By all means, hoot and holler over the solid-gold pillowcases etc, but please forgive the nasty little environment note, if only so I don't go fetal position in retroactive embarrassment. The "Dream Fund" (gag me) may be a similar thing, Macy's adding shiz without them being aware of it.

ETA: Okay, I see now that they "would love" 1 Dream Fund (what does that even mean???) so yeah, that's definitely on them.  As if you couldn't have figured out how to give them money on your own.
  • DH's male cousin had a registry A LOT like this.  We bought the cheese cutter/cutting board combo because it was the only thing that fit into our budget. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nah82nah82 member
    edited December 2013
    @namcgee wow, you have an interesting group of stories/personalities!  8-}  I'm over here lurking from March '14 .. someone had XP'd the Soup Cousin story and I loved every minute of it (sorry you had to go through that).  I also love the second item in the screen shot -- ship these in a whopping 55 business days?!

@ewallace00 dang, I wish I had a linky to the Soup Cousin XP to read the responses there.

I think they'll be waiting a lot longer than 55 days for someone to buy them that glassware... ;)
  • Hold on, hold on, I'm all for the hate but I'm not sure it's fair here.  I registered at Macy's when I married, and I distinctly recall them asking, "Do you want things wrapped?" pretty much exactly like that, and I said, "Naw."  Because I didn't care.  Because I didn't want people to to be asked to pay for gift wrapping.  And sure, if it's getting shipped directly to me, for the environment, why the hell not?  Now that I see this thread, I realize this horrifying little addendum was likely added to the registry.  I never stalked--only registered for a china pattern--so I wouldn't know.  By all means, hoot and holler over the solid-gold pillowcases etc, but please forgive the nasty little environment note, if only so I don't go fetal position in retroactive embarrassment. The "Dream Fund" (gag me) may be a similar thing, Macy's adding shiz without them being aware of it.

ETA: Okay, I see now that they "would love" 1 Dream Fund (what does that even mean???) so yeah, that's definitely on them.  As if you couldn't have figured out how to give them money on your own.
    I totally assumed that they had typed the registry note in there like when people put "It's a Girl/Boy" or "We are decorating the nursery in giraffes" on a baby shower registry.  If Macy's makes this a part of their spiel, they are stupid, too.

What would a computer generated note say if you had answered yes to that question?  "We don't give a flip about the environment and demand that you pay extra to have Macy's gift wrap your purchase when you could've just bought a roll of wrapping paper at Dollar Tree"? haha

And thank goodness it doesn't say they "would love" 2 Dream Fund.
  • The only thing I don't take issue with in this post is the price of what they are registering for.  I think as long as you have a variety of price points then it's fine to registry for expensive things as well even if it's just for the completion discount.  We registered for Waterford Crystal wine, water, and champagne flutes, but we also had a lot of inexpensive items on the registry as well.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"