Preemies

New NICU Mom

Hi NICU moms. I had my twin identicle girls 2 weeks ago. They were born at 27 weeks & 1 day on Wednesday 12/11/13 @ 12:48pm in the same minute.

Twin A is named Eve Marie. She weighed 1lb 4oz and was 12 inches long. She shared her placenta with her sister and her cord placement was bad and she had continued to grow at half the rate of her sister. I had been in-patient at our hospital for 13 days when she became IUGR and in the 10th percentile for weight. Her heart rate dropped a few times, and her cord flow was reversing so both girls had to come out.

Twin B was named Eleanor Anne. We call her Ellie. She weighed 2lbs 5oz and was 13 inches long. She was in the 60th percentile at birth. She got short changed a bit in order to save her sister but I know she'll think it's worth it someday. :)

I was discharged the following Sunday. Since my husband and I live an hour away we moved into a hotel room across the street from the NICU. My husband commutes to work from here. He doesn't mind, it's the opposite of rush hour traffic and we get to see our girls more than once a day.

Evie now weighs 1lb 14 oz and is 12.5 inches long. She is still intubated but has recently over come a heart valve murmur and is trying her best to get the last of the fluid out of her lungs. She is eating more everyday and is described as one of the fiestiest premies these nurses have ever seen. She is otherwise very healthy and opens her eyes to us every day!

Ellie Anne was extubated after a couple days and is on a cpap with just two prongs in her little nose. She also over came her heart valve murmur recently and is also feisty. She eats a ton now! She weighs 2lbs 10oz and is 14.5 inches. We kangaroo with her once a day for an hour or so and cannot wait to do so with her sister.

They're both so strong and so amazing. Considering how small and early they were, they are doing so well. We feel very lucky to have them at all. These girls were conceived naturally and we feel like we hit the Jack pot. It's just going to take a bit longer to take them home.

I cried everyday for the first week then on Christmas Eve night but I am keeping it together for my girls. My husband and family help a lot. Thanks for reading my story. Happy Holidays everyone!

Re: New NICU Mom

• Congratulations! Like pp said, it's definitely an emotional ride, but it's all so worth it in the end when they are finally home. Best of luck for an uneventful stay!
  • Congratulations on your girls! Be easy on yourself- the NICU is an intense experience, even when your babies are doing well. My Dr told me that he would be concerned if I told him I wasn't crying! I'm relatively new to this board, but I have already learned so much & felt very supported. Welcome!
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome and congrats!! Glad everyone is doing well. You sound very happy and that is awesome, focus on how great your little ladies are doing and you'll be home in no time!! Wishing you a short and uneventful NICU stay!
    The ladies on this board are amazing, make sure you vent/be emotional/do whatever you need, it helps to keep you sane through this process and is totally acceptable and expected!
  • Welcome!  I know you from the multiples board. Congrats on your girls, I know you went through a lot with them during your pregnancy. Praying for a safe NICU journey for you all.
  • Congrats on your girls! What pretty names! I hope your NICU stay is as short and uneventful as possible.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Congrats on your babies!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Congratulations. May you have a healthy and short NICU stay.
  • Congratulations on your girls! I also love your name choices! I love your positive attitude - it will help you during your NICU journey. I hope the girls continue to do well and are hope before you know it!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Congratulations on the birth of your girls! I am glad they seem to be doing so well! I hope your NICU stay is as brief and uneventful as possible!
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"