TTC after 35

Hashimoto's anyone?

Hi everyone- I've been reading this board for a while...but I haven't engaged very much until now.  I apologize.  I appreciate everyone's honesty and support in their posts.  I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (I am on Synthroid).  Is this diagnosis fairly common in women with infertility issues?  I imagine my age and poopy ovarian reserve are my main problems...but was surprised to hear that I have thyroid antibodies too.  Anyone else dealing with this?  Thanks!

Me: 42, DH: 43.  Married for 2 1/2 years.  Stepmom to three great kids. 

1997: Natural pregnancy (previous marriage). 10 week m/c with normal chromosomes.

March, 2012: Natural pregnancy. 10 week m/c with triploidy.

March, 2013: Began working with REI.  Two disappointing Clomid cycles (only one follicle) and two disappointing Bravelle cycles (only one follicle). 

December, 2013: Began with new REI.  Diagnosed with Hashimoto's.  Taking Synthroid.  Still trying to figure out if DE is our only option.

My blog: http://table-4-5.blogspot.com/

Re: Hashimoto's anyone?

• I am, and I know at least a few other women are as well. Once your thyroid medication kicks in, it won't be an active factor in TTC. I have diminished ovarian reserve as well and have been on levothroxine (like synthroid) for a year. My RE says it's not a reason I'm getting pregnant - although if not treated, it definitely can be a contributing factor to having issues TTC.

Good luck!

Sarah, 38 | Nathan, 40 | Maxine b. 11/2014 | TTC #2

• Actually Hashi's and infertility can go hand in hand... yes primarily because your thyroid hormones play in conjunction with your pituitary glands etc and this can cause ovulation issues.  With medication (synthroid) you can take care of this part.  The part that is difficult are the antibodies you have. it is important not just to have a TSH panel but a FULL panel checking your antibody levels. The antibodies are attacking your body and what they deem to be foreign. ( that is why they are breaking/killing your thyroid slowly). High antibodies can (although this is not taken seriously with all doctors) harm your fetus/baby.  This is why is it CRUCIAL to be monitored while you are TTC and pregnant.  The miscarriage rate for Hashi's and thyroid patients is greater than average.  This doesn't mean that you can't get pregnant or have a healthy pregnancy.. it just means you need to be treated and take care of it.   Most RE's want your TSH levels under 2 for TTC... mine have to be near 1.0 for me to conceive.   Sadly taking care of this doesn't help our age issue with our eggs :(

Also you should avoid soy products with Hashi's and some swear that a Gluten FRee Diet helps ( it did nothing for me).  If you have one auto-immune disease like Hashi's then you are at much greater risk to have other autoimmune issues... food allergies, chronic fatigue, asthma, skin dissorders like  exzcema, rhematoid arthritis etc...  So taking care of your overall health is important!

Good luck!!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Loading the player...
  • several ladies here have it, I am sure you will find teh support you need. Good luck!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Thanks so much for the support and good advice! :)

Me: 42, DH: 43.  Married for 2 1/2 years.  Stepmom to three great kids. 

1997: Natural pregnancy (previous marriage). 10 week m/c with normal chromosomes.

March, 2012: Natural pregnancy. 10 week m/c with triploidy.

March, 2013: Began working with REI.  Two disappointing Clomid cycles (only one follicle) and two disappointing Bravelle cycles (only one follicle). 

December, 2013: Began with new REI.  Diagnosed with Hashimoto's.  Taking Synthroid.  Still trying to figure out if DE is our only option.

My blog: http://table-4-5.blogspot.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"