Third-Party Reproduction

Donor Sperm Woes (long)

Hi everyone- This is kind of a cross post- but more organized and updated. 

So we were planning on doing our first IUI with donor sperm this weekend. We had used this bank for the Natural IVF and used the same donor (baby pictures of donor and DH are like twins- couldn't ask for a better match). So I normally trigger early and my period came early so once AF came I had the sperm shipped the next day. It is being shipped from NYC to North Jersey- maybe 35 miles- with 2 day AM shipping. I was checking the tracking of the package most of Thursday and worried when it wasn't there by noon since it was supposed to be there by 10:30. The bank also became worried once I called them. Needless to say by the end of Thursday someone at Fed.Ex promised the bank it would be shipped to the lab by 8am the next day and someone told me it was 3 days behind. So Friday I am in for monitoring and getting close but wasn't told to trigger so I'm kinda just waiting to see if it shipped in the morning. Honestly, between the lab, the bank and Fed.Ex I was on the phone for 4 hours in the morning. It was insane. By noon we agreed I would drive in Saturday and pick up more of my donor's sperm. (He stopped depositing and they only have a limited number of vials left- but lucky still about 40- but they are being bought in bulk now) Then I was supposed to hold onto the tank and bring it home and bring it to the lab the next day. 
The bank called me because they felt horrible and since I work close to NYC they wanted to send a messenger to my school to drop it off. They said the canister is large and may be awkward to carry around, especially on a train (I don't drive in NYC during Christmas). So I was pretty happy about that and they agreed to call my cell so I can put this large canister right in my car without anyone at work seeing. He said to make sure I was near my cell the entire time so that I could get the call from the messenger. I was supposed to be at an all grade assembly so I opted to stay in my room to hear my phone ringing. Well about an hour later I get a call from the main office.. I was paged by the principal several times and they had the strangest package for me in the office.  So the picture on the bottom is of a similar one- but mine was cleaner- still about 2.5-3ft high and many neon stickers saying WARNING: HUMAN CELLS and other warning labels. The wrong number is put on the receipt so they could not get a hold of me. So I had to carry this thing throughout the entire school- avoided contact with everyone the rest of the day. I was so embarrassed and upset. I dropped the canister off today and waiting for Fed.Ex to open and hopefully this original canister did not thaw yet and I'll make out with an extra $1000 worth of donor sperm.. but I'm so stressed from all of this.. We are 95% sure we are canceling this cycle and just hoping next month would be better. Sometimes I think that there are signs when everything goes wrong- and this is just one thing that left me feeling pessimistic this month.
I truly hope no one ever has to deal with missing donor specimen- it's so stressful. I'm lucky it is taken care of- that the bank was great and the girl from the lab is coming in tonight on her own time to add more nitrogen to the tank until the director can assess the quality in the morning. And I'm always thankful you girls are hear to let me vent and cheer me on. Sorry this is so long.. Anyway here is that stupid heavy canister- My DH said it looks like R2D2..
***WARNING***

TTC Since 12/2008;  DH: 32, Azoospermia     me: 33, DX during IVF #4: Low AMH (Normal FSH) / SER due 
to IVF Meds (causing failure to fertilize) Recent DX: Hashimoto's, Lupus Anticoagulant, White Blood Cell Disorder 
High ANA, ATA, & APA, PAI-1 Heterozygous= blood clotting disorder; connective tissue disorder 
IVF w/ ICSI #1 2/2011     IVF w/ ICSI #2 5/2011    IVF w/ ICSI #3 12/2012   *New RE* IVF w/ ICSI #4  5/2013
IVF w/ ICSI #5 8/2013 (Natural Cycle- No drugs)- One follicle->one blast. CCS normal. FET 9/10- 6BB blast. m/c @ 5w
IUI #1 12/23- BFN  IUI #2 Cancelled (ovulated during AF)  Prep:CoQ10 (300 mg); DHEA (25 mg); Melatonin (3 mg), Folgard 2.2, Metformin 500 2x, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Aspirin 81mg w/ calcium, B12,  Vit. D 4000 & Prenate Elite Daily; Cabergoline 1/2 pill 2x week-  Cycling: Estrace Priming; Prednisone 10mg, Lovenox 40mg 2x,  Femera & Menopur   
IUI #2.1 6/30 & 7/1. 1st Beta: 90 (7/15); 2nd Beta: 226 (7/17); 3rd Beta: 766   EDD: 3/23/2015

**ALL WELCOME**                                    My Blog 

Re: Donor Sperm Woes (long)

• Ugh, so sorry you've had such difficulty! I'm glad the lab and bank have been helpful though.

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• That really suck that you had to have all that stress & then to top it off walk throw your work with that thing
    At least the banks been helpful!!
    Best of Luck with your IUI when ever you choose to do it I hope you get your BFP when you do!!
  • Loading the player...
  • LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    edited December 2013
    OMG! Talk about humiliating. I don't know weather to cry or laugh with you. That container is totally bizarre. I'm so sorry this happened and that you're feeling pessimistic but I really hope you get your free $1,000 worth of sperm after all that. I also secretly hope you don't get cancelled and the cycle works so that you get to tell your kids the crazy you went through to make this happen.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh jeez..I can't believe all that is happening to you. How stressful I'm sure. Weird looking canister for sure! I totally see R2D2 :) Good luck to you!!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• You poor thing.  As if this whole thing isn't hard enough.  ((HUGS))
     36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • oh man.  I'm sorry this happened to you.  I hope everything is ok and you're still able to cycle.  don't cancel it just because this all happened.  Who knows, it could be a good sign...
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"