Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

tell me bfing gets easier...

and my nipples will not be as painful soon...i need hope.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tell me bfing gets easier...

• Options
    it gets MUCH easier.  There is hope!
  • Options
    It gets SOOO much easier.  Stick with it, you won't regret it.  Also, that Lansinoh cream should be your BFF right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBeasley17:
    It gets SOOO much easier.  Stick with it, you won't regret it.  Also, that Lansinoh cream should be your BFF right now.

i use it but i feel like it so sticky it hurts to apply and then it sticks to my breast pads...i guess i cant get passed that though.

• Options

I actually cried whenever I nursed for the first week.  And my nipples bled.  The Lactation consultant at the hospital said the latch was good and everything was fine.  I couldn't believe it hurt so bad. 

yada yada yada, by the 3rd week it was nuthin'.  No pain, no bleeding, no problem. 

Good Luck and hang in there!

• Options

I am in the hell stage as well but it DOES get easier. Took 6 weeks with DD #1.

Now this time it is hell all over (and I just weaned in June) but ONLY focus on the current feeding, the next one does not matter right now. All of a sudden a few weeks have gone by and it is second nature! 

• Options

Put it on your breast pads, then put the pads on your nippples/in your bra.  I found the Lansinoh pads to be the best and most soft. 

Another thing I found that helped was to express a little milk and rub it around your nipples and let them air dry.  That really helped me when mine were cracked and bleeding.

• Options
    It gets so SO much easier. If it's something you really want to do, just hang in there.
  • Options

I found when my nipples were super sore at that stage that the Medela nipple cream was much easier to use and helped to heal them.  Its more oily than Lansinoh, therefore easier (less painful) to spread. 

Like PP said, it gets much easier!

• Options

I am in the same position as you--my nipples are raw and bleeding -I've even cried and screamed in pain a few times. He is having a hard time latching on correctly. 

My suggestion is to get help. I have seen the lactation consultant at my pediatrician's office the past two days in a row --she's really helped--if your pediatrician doesn't have one on staff try la leche league or possibly the hospoital for extra help--they really helped me and I'm only on day 5!

• Options

Yes!!!! It will get so much easier. The effort for breastfeeding is great at first, but eventually it becomes so much easier, and I think easier than bottle feeding. Get help if you're not feeling good. I remember it took a while for my nipples to get used to it. For a couple of months I had a sharp let-down feeling at the beginning of feeding. Then it went away. When my nipples were so sensitive in the beginning, I used Medela contact shields. It really helped!

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2901997

These were great when I wasn't nursing. Just put them in your nursing bra and it lets teh nipples dry and heal.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2403244

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
  • Options
    imageCaitlinJ22:

imageBeasley17:

i use it but i feel like it so sticky it hurts to apply and then it sticks to my breast pads...i guess i cant get passed that though.

Try the Medela lanolin.  It is more liquid-y.  BF does get better, I promise!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

it gets so much easier and I know how discouraging it can be since all the "experts" say that if you're doing it right, it shouldn't hurt! ?Yeah right...I was in really bad pain the first 6 weeks and kept thinking it was thrush, latch wasn't correct, bla bla bla...turns out it just hurts like a b!tch the first few weeks.

One tip I have for you if you're using Lansinoh cream...squirt a dab on your index finger and use your thumb to rub it around a little and heat it up...it should turn more liquid-y and be easier to spread that way! ?HTH!!?

• Options

I agree with everything said before, it does get easier. But I made the mistake of thinking it had to hurt in the beginning and I would just get over it. After 5 days (and blood blisters on my cracked nipples) I went to a lactation consultant. It was the best thing I've ever done. Within a few days I was healing and breastfeeding felt normal and natural a few weeks after that.

My midwife also recommended St. John's Wort Oil. It promotes healing rather than just kind of lubricating the nipples like the other stuff does. And it's just an oil so it's not all sticky.

Hang in there. Before you know it you won't remember the pain.

• Options

It does; the first few weeks are killer. In addition to the lanolin cream, I also recommend Soothies, which I think you can get in drugstores. They are these little gel pads you put on your nipples and they are cool and, well, soothing.  It doesn't hurt to take them off.

I second the rubbing some expressed milk and letting them air dry. That helped me as well.

Hang in there!! I cried every time I had to feed my daughter, but now I don't even feel it when she eats. GL!

• Options
    I'm late to this post but I second the Medela lanolin.  It is not sticky so doesn't hurt to apply.  Whichever one you use, make sure to put it on as a protective barrier before every shower.  GL.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Breastfeeding was fairly easy for us with no issues, but it was still VERY painful in the beginning. I would cringe every time she'd latch, and i was freezing my breast pads so that I'd get SOME relief... but now it's all second nature and no pain at all.

• Options

I'm glad you posted this.  I'm in the same situation an almost gave up yesterday,  The LC I saw in the hospital gave me horrible advice and I was told to supplement for several days and not have him on the breast.  I was given the OK two days ago but now my nipples are all cracked and sore.  When he nurses from me he is not satisfied when he comes off and I then have to supplement and I have to pump after every feeding. 

Tonight I've been pumping and bottle feeding just to give them a break.  I really hope this gets easier!

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

It definitely gets better and easier for the majority!  I also recommend the hydrogel pads (aka "Soothies").  Medela has them.  I had 2 lactation consultants recommend them and had been lucky enough to have them on hand.  They made all the difference while lanolin cream didn't help me (just me personally) that much.

• Options
    Its a breeze for me now.  Feeding are shorter, I dont fell a thing, there much less frequent and as long as she nurses or I pump every 3-4 hours I dont ever get uncomfortable.   Dont' give up!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"