2nd Trimester
Options

thyroid issues?

Anyone else having to take meds for their thyroid? This is my second pregnancy and I never had issues with my thyroid during my first pg. So I'm kinda worried!

Re: thyroid issues?

• Options
    I didn't have to take anything my first time around, and then this second time around my OB tried to put me on them at 5 weeks since i was "just over borderline". Problem was she put me on too high of a dosage right away, and I had a very bad reaction and quit after a few days - i was having rapid heartbeats and my anxiety was through the roof. That said - I talked to my OB about it and she agreed to re-test once I became 12 weeks. We retested and my levels were back to normal and I don't have to take it. 

Did they tell you how high/low you were?

It was just the oddest thing to me - especially b/c I'm a petite person.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ninaanddan2007 I talked to my ob's nurse and she gave me very little info.... plus I was too surprised to think of asking any questions, which I know I should have. All she said was "we got your blood work back and everything seems okay except for your thyroid. Its very common during pregnancy, so don't worry. We're sending you a perception, just follow the instructions when you get it."

I have an appt in the first week of January so I'll ask my Dr more about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    are you sensitive to medicine at all? if so, i would recommend maybe cutting the dosage in half for a week and then going to full. the change just hit me HARD and i did not tolerate it will. When you follow up in January I'd definitely ask more about how high/low levels were, and if the doc plans on testing you again (which they should), so you can go off the meds. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, I've had to take levothyroxine for both pregnancies. I was on 350mcg/wk for my first and I'm taking 450/wk now. I'm fairly mild hypo, so my OB only checks my levels twice. No big deal.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I am in the same boat, never knew I had thyroid issues, until pregnacy.  This is my first pregnancy.  After doing some research, I can tell you the dangers of having abnormal thyroid levels are probably worse then the medication we are on.  My obgyn started me on a low dose and I was tested twice before I was placed on meds.  Remember levothyroxine is a medication that is a synthetic hormone that our body makes naturally. It is also pregnancy category A which means controlled studies show no risk! I hope this makes you feel better..

• Options
    jenb_99 said:

Yep, I've had to take levothyroxine for both pregnancies. I was on 350mcg/wk for my first and I'm taking 450/wk now. I'm fairly mild hypo, so my OB only checks my levels twice. No big deal.

WOW that's pretty high considering you're only on it for pregnancy.

I'm hypo and normally on 50mcg but on 150mcg now. If will go back down after the baby arrives
  • Options

I have thyroid problems prior to pregnancy which caused my first miscarriage and made it difficult to conceive.  I am monitored by an endocrinologist for my issues.  I was actually being over treated and my dosage went from 125mcg to 112mcg per day.  As @KVGiovanelli said, it is a category A and is vitally important that if you are prescribed this medication you take it as directed.  If you have questions you should call your doctor and ask. 

Unfortunately, there are varying degrees of what doctors consider "normal" ranges for thyroid if you are "borderline" you may wish to discuss with your doctor further and request close monitoring prior to being medicated.  I would encourage you to find out what your blood work levels were and research to see what is considered the normal range.

This is a good site for some info: https://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I feel a lot more at ease about it! This is my second pregnancy so it threwe off a little considering I was fine before and with my 1st pregnancy.
  • Options
    Did they test you during your last pregnancy? Every pregnancy is different, but I am sure you know that by now. I am glad you real better and more at ease.
  • Options

Did they test you during your last pregnancy? Every pregnancy is different, but I am sure you know that by now. I am glad you real better and more at ease.

Yes I was tested during my last pregnancy and everything came back fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"