1st Trimester

need all of the advice and support I can get!

Hi Everyone,

I just found out tonight that I am pregnant.  At first I was really excited and then immediatley became nervous, anxious and overwhelmed and started to cry saying "i can't do this".  I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety.  Does anyone else experience this?  Will it get better or worse?  My husband and family are thrilled so I'm hoping they will rub off on me.  Please help!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: need all of the advice and support I can get!

• I think it is very common to be scared and feel very overwhelmed in the beginning.... Shit, I am STILL scared and overwhelmed! You are not alone. I think that as you get used to the idea that you are pregnant, and that you are going to be a mommy, you will get more excited and your whole perspective on this will turn around. Hang in there!
  • If everyone around you is supportive (husband, family, etc) Why are you so nervous?? Find a good Dr/Midwife and read a little. You have a long time to get ready, don't be freaked out by all the horror stories, take a deep breath, and be thankful :)
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. It's a totally normal reaction to panic when you see that BFP, even if you've been trying to get pregnant.

2. You should consult your doctor and/or psychologist ... you can take medication to combat your symptoms, even while pregnant. And they should be aware of any issues that may arise after birth, such as PPD.

3. GL! and congrats!

• I also suffer from anxiety attacks, and I didn't have one the whole time I was pregnant, mine came 2 days after I delivered when I was in a tunnel going from my hospital to his, I ended up in 2 (not only 1....2) ER's with an ambulance ride, because I was in the tunnel, and had the attack, so the children's hospital ER sent me via ambulance to my hospital's ER....it was a lovely bill, but the hospital sent a therapist lady (cant remember what her title is right now) to recount the experience....

Check with your OB, to see if they could recommend something....I want to say it was an aromatherapist, because she massaged my feet with orange scented oil, and made me go through the tunnel in my head, but it really helped.

• Congrats on your BFP!  I was scared when I got my first positive test.  There are just so many unknowns which is what scared me the most.  I found that reading through posts/posting questions and reading every single book out there (slight exaggeration) was very helpful in calming me down. 
  • This will be my first child, so I don't have a ton of advice to give...BUT when you go for those ultrasounds and see your baby for the first time, it is an amazing feeling. I hope everything goes well for you and your DH- and welcome to The Bump- you can almost always find someone on here that has been through what you are going through. Good luck!
  • You are officially my new best friend!!!! Word for word of what you wrote describes me to a tee. I just found out Saturday and was really excited but then immediatly started worrying about the fact that I can't take my anti-anxiety medicine. I have been back and forth between my OB and GP. The bright spot is both told me that most women with panic and anxiety even other psych disorders actually get better during pregnancy with all the hormone changes and such so that made me feel better. Hoping to get more info at  the OB's first appt Jan 28th. Good luck and congrats
  • I've been anxious as well. I used to take meds for it, but have been off for a while. I thought about going back on so I could control my anxiety for the baby's sake, but I'm going to try and control it naturally if I can. I even find that thinking about the pregnancy too much makes me worse. Try a warm bath, back rub, warm tea/milk, and read books/watch TV shows that don't have to do with pregnancy (to distract you).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree that what you're going through is completely normal.  This baby was planned and DH and I are still in a bit of shock.  We're excited but you can't help but get the "what if" gears turning in your head.  The way I dealt with the worry effectively was to join this board and talk about your worries.  Even friends or co-workers (if you're ready to tell you're pg) who are moms can be sounding boards and provide reassurance. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker M/C #1 - BFP 12/28/2008. Confirmed m/c at 6wks - blighted ovum on 1/9/2009. M/C #2 - BFP 6/16/2009. Confirmed m/c at 7wks - blighted ovum on 7/1/2009.
  • first off... CONGRATULATIONS!   second, you're so not alone.  I did it too.  I used to fight myself constantly on being insecure and panic all the time and struggle with depression.  There's plenty of time for you to get accustomed to the idea and tons of women who are here to help.  It will get better I promise.  Just believe in yourself, your support system and mothers instinct.  Just as an FYI, don't post any stupid posts about soft cheese, dying your hair or lunch meat. Wink
  • Awww hon, I'm sorry you're overwhelmed! It IS overwhelming! I'm 28 and I've been ready to have a baby for three years, but when I got that BFP, I thought, "NO! I'm not ready!" It is overwhelming. I think that's why we get nine months to prepare. You'll be ok! Read some good books, get good prenatal care, take care of yourself (good sleep, good nutrition, good exercise). Best of luck to you and your little one!
  • Don't feel bad about how you feel - it is normal and understandable.  Having a baby does change your life, and realizing that now is better than after you have the baby...You are going to have 9 months to prepare yourself for the new changes to come.  What you don't realize until you have the baby, though, is this is the most AMAZING gift you will ever receive and when you look at him or her for the first time, these feelings you have now will melt away because you will instantly be so in love.  I promise it will be worth it.  Good luck, know that you are not alone, and it is more than okay to talk to someone!
  • i am here crying because all of you ladies are making me feel so much better!!  i was soooooooooo freaked out and now reading what you all said i feel so much better.  i truly love you all!!  any advice on what to eat, etc?  just got back from the store and got a bunch of fruit and veggies.  THANK YOU!
  • hey lil, it's so good to hear that there are people out there that feel the same way i do!!!  is there a way we can email too?  i think we may be good support for one another.  also, i think i'll be due in sept. as well.  need to call tomorrow to make an appointment.  CONGRATS and Happy New Year!!
  • Oh my gosh!  This is all so normal...I hope!  I have been feeling the same way.  I keep thinking that maybe I don't have the Mummy gene.  Everyone we have told is so excited and I'm totally freaked out.  I can't help but feel sad that my independence and freedom are slipping away.  I see people with  toddlers and become filled with dread...I don't know if I want one of those little creatures in my house (hee-hee).  I also have anxiety...my GYN said it was fine to take my meds at least until the 3rd trimester.  Obviously, go with what your MD says but I think there are ways to manage.  A little wisdom that my sister told me is that it's really good to feel this way now.  She said when she had her first baby she was so excited to be pregnant that she never really took the time to think about how her life will change.  Instead, it was a little bit of a shocker when the baby was born.  Good luck to you and know that so many others are in the same boat!

• I have had panic attacks since the 4th grade! A lot of people say that theirs subside during pregnance, but I think mine may have gotten worse. Its definitely good to talk to your doctor about it, since I think its pretty common to let you take or keep taking medication. Anyway, having a baby is a huge deal! Its totally normal to be overwhelmed. I am, and this is my second!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelnyost:
    i am here crying because all of you ladies are making me feel so much better!!  i was soooooooooo freaked out and now reading what you all said i feel so much better.  i truly love you all!!  any advice on what to eat, etc?  just got back from the store and got a bunch of fruit and veggies.  THANK YOU!

Be sure to get plenty of calcium and protein! I'm glad you're feeling better! At my first doctor's appointment, they talked about nutrition with me, went over my diet, told me what I needed to eat more of (protein!) 

• IT IS VERY NORMAL!!!!  I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety!!!!  I ha the same feelings bt as I am getting farther along I dont feel that way anymore.  It will come and go bt eventally it will go completely!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats!!!! I have a long history of anxiety and it was hard for me to even try to get pregnant. I have been going to therapy for years and that helps a LOT. Eventually I just decided that there is a lot to be anxious about but I would just have to take it one step at a time and not freak out about everything all at once. The hormones REALLY don't help, you have to be very aware of that effect too. Now I have been told that I may not have a viable preganancy and I realize that as anxious as I am about pregnancy, delivery, and motherhood, I would be devastated to lose the little peanut, so I know I am doing the right thing. Let's face it if we really think about it there are a lot of uncertainties and a total lack of control which could make anyone anxious. But gazillions of women have done this, right? so it will be OK!!! If you don't have a therapist I would DEF try to find one to help you and make sure it is someone that you really like. Don't settle for less or it won't be helpful.
  • you all have been amazing!  i am seeing a therapist so hopefully she will help me as I go through this.  the thought of being pregnant, going through labor and raising another human just freaks me out.  i don't know what it is but ever since i found out (which was yesterday) i just feel so sick in my stomach, it's so hard to eat!!
  • I have recently been feeling this same way, and it's a terrible way to feel.  Plus the hormones aren't helping at all.  Hang in there.  I'm just taking it hour by hour, day by day.  I was so excited to get pregnant, but now I'm really freaked out.  I simply don't feel ready, even though I thought I was. 

This is a great place to vent and discuss all these feelings, obviously you're not alone.

• CONGRATS!! It does go away, but good luck with sleeping tonight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"