June 2014 Moms
Options

Breast Feeding!!! Any Suggestions?

Hi mommies!

I'm expecting my first child June 13th.
I've been trying to research breast pumps and I'm still not sure about any that I've read about. I want a breast pump that is comfortable(if possible), durable, and easy to function. That's not super expensive. What would you suggest? Please help! Thank you in advance. ☺️

Re: Breast Feeding!!! Any Suggestions?

• Options
    Idk I think a good pump is worth spending money on. I got the Medea advanced double pump in style and loved it! Some of the other brands don't have as good of suction as the medelas
  • Options
    From my understanding, insurance companies are now required to provide you with a breast pump under the Affordable Care Act. I would check with your insurance carrier to see what pump they will offer you and go from there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gigi8212 said:

From my understanding, insurance companies are now required to provide you with a breast pump under the Affordable Care Act. I would check with your insurance carrier to see what pump they will offer you and go from there.

This is true but I've heard some only cover manual pumps as there is nothing saying what exactly they have to cover

No real advice from me as I never pumped but I think if you're planning on pumping then they are worth the money
  • Options
    Gigi8212 said:

This. ^^ I always hear medela is the best. Definitely a very important thing to invest in, even if you have to save up! It can be a nightmare if you have one that doesn't work properly.
    Rachel BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would suggest calling your insurance company and seeing what pumps they cover. Under the new healthcare law, many companies have to offer you one for free or for little cost. I have had plenty of friends get electric pumps for next to nothing under their plans.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options
    Like everyone else mentioned, talk to your insurance first and find out what they'll cover as far as a pump goes... not all insurance companies will cover a pump. Also, you can go to like target or babies r us and go check out the pumps instead of just internet research (assuming you haven't done so) I used a tommee tippee electric pump and loved it. However now I'm planning to get a better pump just because I intend on pumping longer than I did with my first. Everyone I've talked to has recommended medela so I will definitely be getting one of those! Lol good luck!
  • Options
    If your insurance doesn't cover one, I'd suggest the Avent double electric. I used this with my DD and loved it (well as much as you can love a breast pump). I know our insurance only covers medela and hygaeia (sp?).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would suggest waiting. a good electric pump is a lot of money, and there is a chance that breastfeeding just plain old won't work for you. It happened to me. You can rent pumps usually from the hospital. My plan this time is to wait, rent one if I am able to breastfeed this time, and buy one once I am sure that I will actually get a supply in.
  • Options
    I agree w/ PPs. I used Medela In Style Advanced w/ both of mine and it was absolutely wonderful.
    If I end up needing to pump again this time.. I will definitely be getting another.
  • Options
    This is one area where I wouldn't skimp.  I bought a cheap-o electric pump for when I went back to work after having DS and it sucked.  My supply tanked and I ended up giving up on breastfeeding after about two months back to work.  If you're committed to breastfeeding long-term, a good pump is definitely worth the investment.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I will also recommend the Medela Pump in Style.
  • Options

Buy a hands free bra.

Seriously.  If you're planning to do a decent amount of pumping (or like me, if breastfeeding fails despite your desperate attempts and genuine desire to make it work and you end up exclusive pumping for 11 months) then buy a hands free bra.  It's 100% worth every penny.

That being said I used a Medela Pump In Style Advanced and it worked great for 11 months.  And trust me, I used the heck out of it.  A good pump is worth the money but hopefully your insurance will cover it anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used the Ameda purely yours and it was great. Its a closed system which I really liked.
    Married 6.23.12
    Baby #1 5.10.13
    Baby #2 6.9.14
    Baby #3 EDD 10.1.15
    Life is good :)

• Options
    I also used and liked the Medela pump in style. I will be getting a new one with this baby.

• Options

I highly recomend the Medela Pump in Style Advanced double breast pump. It is a little pricey but a good pump is worth the money. I was an exclusive pumper with DS2 since he was a preemie and never mastered the latch, it worked and held up wonderfully. I will be using it again for baby #3.

This. I EP with my son and never had a problem. At that time my insurance didn't cover it but I did use flex spending money on it. I'll be using it again with this baby.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    elittler said:
    If your insurance doesn't cover one, I'd suggest the Avent double electric. I used this with my DD and loved it (well as much as you can love a breast pump). I know our insurance only covers medela and hygaeia (sp?).
    This is the one I'm going with, so I'm glad to hear someone like it. It had good reviews on Amazon. I decided to go that route over Medela, because the Avent system is a closed system and Medela is open. From what I've read, a closed system is ideal because it doesn't allow any milk back-up into the inner-parts where mold could possibly happen. However, with that said, everyone I talk to recommends the Medela in-style.
  • Options
    My insurance will cover it if my DR states that I need it. My DR said she would write a prescription for the exact one I want closer to delivery. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Emery Elizabeth
    Due Date: June 5, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I had both a Medela PISA and an Ameda Purely Yours.  The Ameda didn't get nearly the amount that the Medela did.  Every woman is different and I know some who loved their Ameda....but for me, it was the Medela for sure.
    BFP #1 - January 2010...m/c at 12 weeks 
    BFP #2 - December 2011, little lady #1 born August 2012
    BFP #3 - August 2013....m/c at 5 weeks 
    BFP #4 - October 2013....little lady #2 born June 2014

• Options
    I EPed for a year with my son and used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. Medelas are usually pricey, but well worth the money.

Hands free pumping is the way to go. I would haven't made it a year if I had to hold the flanges to my breasts. I hated those special hands free bras, I felt it wasn't tight enough for me to get good suction. So I took some old sports bra and cut slits into them for the horns to stay in place so I could pump hands free.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    I have a Medela PIS as well and I loved it. I am going to have to buy a new one and I will most likely get the same one.  I agree this is not an area you want to go cheap, but I do agree that you could rent one till you see the BFing is going to work for you.  It's a big investment but absolutely worth it.  I tried a hand pump once and I got nothing out of it except carpal tunnel. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm checking into my insurance to find out :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"