Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Teaching "no"?

How do you plan to teach your DC "no"?

I find myself saying "no" a lot and I HATE it! I also HATE using her name all the time. She is still pretty little, but she is definitely starting to test boundaries!

Re: Teaching "no"?

• Options
    I just say no and their name anytime they are doing something they shouldn't. They almost always stop when I say it, but maybe only for a minute and then sometimes they will do it again. I just keep repeating the cycle and they generally stop after a few times of it. I don't have a problem saying no!
  • Options
    I rarely say "no" to DS.  I pretty much only say it if he is going to hurt himself, someone else, or break something.  I want him to learn that it's a serious word and a not something he hears a kabillion times a day.  I do a lot of distracting and redirecting.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    we say "Leo, no." a lot. ?we say it much firmer when he is doing something dangerous (like trying to touch the radiator). ?like pp said he usually goes back and tries to do it again so we say it again. ?they learn through?repetition?so it's a good place to start. ?he's?definitely?learning what "no" means. ?he's also testing us. ?i swear when i say it sometimes he looks over with this sneaky little grin before doing whatever it is again.
  • Options
    This may be the "wrong" way to do things, but we only say "no" if she is doing something dangerous. Otherwise, she pretty much experiments with everything. If I think it will harm her, then I tell her no. If I don't think it is an issue, then I just let her go.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Yeah, I say it a lot and she is giving me that "I am too cute, you aren't really mad at me" look. I don't want her to take "no" lightly, so I want to try to use it less. The only time I really say it is when she is going after power cords or something dangerous like that, but, unfortunately, I think she wants to be an electrician when she grows up! I guess I will work on my redirecting and see if there is any more babyproofing that could be done...

Thanks ladies :)

• Options
    I say "no" all the time for dangerous situations, entering the kitchen when I can topple over him etc., and also when he pitches a fit because I took something away from him-like keys for ex., that I am going to give back to him but I need to use it. I am pretty firm when I say it. I am sure others will think the tone is harsh, but I have to make sure he knows the difference and he is learning.
  • Options

we hardly ever say no. we say 'easy' or 'gentle' or 'careful' with alot of situations. or i just redirect. dh and i agreed to only use that word when the situation calls for it. but she's only 7mos and can't crawl just yet so she certainly doesn't get into any baby trouble yet :)

• Options
    If I'm warning him, I say "uh-uh"...kind of like a grunting noise, and give him my mom stareAngry...haha.  If its serious though, I say a firm "no" and redirect him.  I don't usually use his name.  Of course, I don't consciously think of what I'm gonna say either...it just comes out.  I think he's gonna learn no eventually even if I hardly ever say it...but I understand not wanting to say it so often.  I also try to pick my battles...some things will just be that much more interesting to him if I make a big deal. 
    Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Joseph is learning NO from the beginning, and I have two reasons why.

The biggest bully in my school was a child psychologist's son, and his parents didn't believe in telling him no. He made my life hell, and he died in jail a couple years ago.

My cousin's son is a monster, and she never tells him no, and it only makes him worse. And he has no friends because other kids don't want to play with him and other parents don't want him in their home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"