September 2012 Moms
Options

What do you give LO for a runny nose?

I don't mean just a little sniffle...I mean her nose is running like a faucet since yesterday. Clear, thin mucous. Anything I can give her to dry it up a little? I called the pedi - waiting for the nurse to call me back. Just curious what you guys use.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you give LO for a runny nose?

• Options
    I haven't found anything that works for this.  I literally just wipe it every 2 minutes with a burp cloth so her upper lip doesn't get raw.  We have an electric aspirator that sucks a lot out, but then it just starts running again.  Sorry I don't have any tips on how to dry them up but if your pedi gives you any, please share!

Whenever she has a cold we do Tylenol (that seems to dry her up a LITTLE), Baby vicks on her chest, aspirator often, humidifier and wait for it to pass.   :(

Hope sweet girl feels better soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I don't know that there is anything you can do at this age.  We try to suck out as much as we can, use saline solution and all the other typical cold remedies.  Ibuprofen or Tylenol for a fever, but that's about it. 

Hope she's feeling better soon!  We've got a cold running through our house right now and it isn't fun!

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The GOOD thing is she's not congested at all. It's literally just FLOWING out of her nose! I don't mind wiping (that's what I did all.day.yesterday.) but she'll be at daycare for 5 hours today. I know they won't stay on top of it like that. And it's no big deal, in the grand scheme of things. Just wondering if I could dry it up a little.

• Options
    My pedi suggested Benadryl to dry it up.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Options
    MomtobeNJ said:
    The GOOD thing is she's not congested at all. It's literally just FLOWING out of her nose! I don't mind wiping (that's what I did all.day.yesterday.) but she'll be at daycare for 5 hours today. I know they won't stay on top of it like that. And it's no big deal, in the grand scheme of things. Just wondering if I could dry it up a little.
    That is one of my biggest pet peeves about daycare.  I know they're busy with more children than just mine, but I hate picking her up and seeing she has crusted boogers. 
  • Options
    I just do saline and nosefrida, which is nearly impossible now that she can fight back. 

Today I'm at work and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to not have dried snot smears on my shoulders, collar, sleeves, pants, etc..... 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Tht- my kid always makes a last minute dive to wipe snot on me. Pure evil

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • Options
    The nurse just called. They said I can give her 1 tsp of Benedryl but it will probably knock her out. She slept until almost 9 this morning - for over 12 hours. She's clearly not so uncomfortable that she can't sleep, so I think I'm going to hold off for now. I'll see how she does with a nap later. I might pick up some Benedryl just so I have it on hand.

• Options
    1fish2fish1fish2fish member
    edited December 2013
    I just do saline and nosefrida, which is nearly impossible now that she can fight back. 

Today I'm at work and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to not have dried snot smears on my shoulders, collar, sleeves, pants, etc..... 
    Literally have to do a half Nelson at this point to suck the boogies.

Okay, well not literally, but you get the picture.

• Options
    I've taught her how much fun it is to go to the bathroom, rip off tons of toilet paper and wipe her nose. She does it all of the time. She HATED me always wiping her nose so we leaned how to use TP. It makes a mess and is probably wasteful, but her nose gets wiped and she is not screaming while it happens. And then being able to flush it down the toilet is just icing on the cake for her.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    AlinnJo said:
    I've taught her how much fun it is to go to the bathroom, rip off tons of toilet paper and wipe her nose. She does it all of the time. She HATED me always wiping her nose so we leaned how to use TP. It makes a mess and is probably wasteful, but her nose gets wiped and she is not screaming while it happens. And then being able to flush it down the toilet is just icing on the cake for her.
    Hey, good idea! She already has ripping off the TP down to a science. It would be great if she could actually do something USEFUL with it!

• Options
    Yup! I even make awesome noises while pretending to blow my nose. She's getting pretty good at those too!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When DS1 was a baby, you could buy cold medicine for kids over 1. It was AMAZING. Then a bunch of dumb a$$es decided to OD their kids on it to make them sleep and they had to remove it from the market. Stupid people who can follow basic directions.

Anyway, now that we can't use that, we just ride it out. Don't use wipes to wipe it away though. I learned the hard way that will dry out their skin ASAP.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Tissues
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"