2nd Trimester
Options

Should I have another Baby Shower??

My son is 2yrs old and we just found out that we are having another boy!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    gypsymysticgypsymystic member
    Answer ✓
    I would really like to know who decided "a shower is to welcome someone to motherhood..." Not to be snarky, just seriously never heard of that. Plents of STMs + have showers. My mom had one with all 4 of her girls, each 2 years apart. I would also like to know Who the F decided it was tacky... cuz personally I would not care and I would just celebrate my baby's impending birth with family and friends- and they would be HAPPY to be there, of course and if they were not then likely they are just shitty people and who wants them there anyway. Who gives a darn what other people think the 'rules' of babyshowerdom are about. This is pretty stupid to even debate this topic IMO- if you want one, by all means have one. Be it first, second, or fourth child. 
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter

Answers

• Options
    I've gotten a few family members bringing it up but this was before we found out the Gender and our family still doesn't know. We are telling them on Christmas. I feel a Diaper Shower would be appropriate bc who doesn't need diapers but I DO NOT expect any sort of shower and unless it's brought up by a friend or family member I don't plan on pushing the subject.
  • Options
    Very tacky. I am definitely not having a shower for this baby, even if it is a different sex. Nor can I even think of a person who would offer to throw me a shower just two years after my first baby.
  • Options
    This would not be something that is done in my area. Having had a baby of the same sex only two years ago would make this seem pretty gift grabby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Even if you were having a girl i still think it would be a little tacky and i probably wouldn't attend....just seems a little much...i always thought that you get one baby shower..period.  my family/parents would just give money after each grandchild was born to help with little things that might be needed but another shower...tacky
  • Options
    Nope.  A shower is to welcome a new mother to motherhood.

You only become a new mother once...  If you want to have a small get together with friends and family to celebrate, sure, but don't make it a gifting event.

Buy your own baby gear, especially at only two years apart!

imageimage

Baby #1 due June 5th, 2014

• Options
    No to second shower. If people want to buy you gifts they will but I personally think it's tacky to have a shower and act like you've never done it before. My DD1 is 8 years older than my DS. And a lot of the things I registered for I now hate or there are cool new things available that I wish I had. But it's up to me to buy them. Yes I love free things but expecting people to buy you gifts two years later just seems wrong. I agree that you can have a party if you want but don't register and expect gifts. And don't say it's a baby shower, baby celebration, baby anything. Just have a get together.
  • Options
    ugh. I really wish people would start using the search function.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Wait...who decides that it's tacky? It depends on what your family wants to do. Some families want to help out, celebrate, give gifts etc. to celebrate a new baby, regardless of what # it is. This generalized "it's tacky" response is silly. If people want to throw you a shower, it's not tacky to say thank you and accept.
    I think I see what you're saying here but the problem is some of the people who decide it's tacky would be people I care about. They don't know all the details (like how someone really wanted to throw it for me and I went "OK? Why not?" or how the people on the 2nd tri board were all "Dude they don't know your lyfe! Go ahead & do it!"), they're just getting an invite in the mail & going "WTF?" And to me, having people I care about thinking I'm tacky trumps gifts & a party.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    No I don't think so. You're having another boy. And only 2 years after the first. If it was a girl then maybe if a friend was going to throw one for you. In your situation I think it would be more appropriate to have a meet and greet. And you'll probably end up with some presents anyways. If that's what you want.
  • Options
    kmdendy said:
     I think people are happy to participate In a second shower without thougtht.
    Yeah... no.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My son is 2yrs old and we just found out that we are having another boy!
    No.
  • Options
    My daughter will almost be 3.5 and I am expecting a boy this time, I am not super comfortable with the idea of a second shower.  My friend offered to throw me one, I told her I would rather get together for a lunch, or something.  We decided to have a little girls potluck and decorate cookies, I just would like a girls day with some of my mamas I haven't seen in a while, and that sounds pretty fun to me.  I am not expecting, nor do I need much, I have been trading with other moms to get the things that I need (boys clothes, infant carseat, swing) I gave away most of our baby items besides clothes to friends over the years.  

• Options
    If someone offers, maybe. Are your kids close in age? Generally, showers are reserved for welcoming a mother to motherhood. It's become a fad in various circles to throw showers for every child. That doesn't make it polite. Popular does not always equal polite.

The main rule I would caution you to adhere to is not to throw one for yourself.

Traditionally, if it's common & acceptable to your social circle and/or family then you don't come on here asking if you should have one. Either it is understood that it's tacky & gift grabby for your set OR you know it's common and don't worry about it. Hence, no reason to ask.

So, since you are asking I would take a gamble that no, it's not generally done for your circle.

Also, this subject has been done TO DEATH.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I LOVE baby showers, but double dipping is a NO-NO! <333
    You're freindly and nice and popular a14 AE :)) :))
  • Options
    fsumomfsumom member
    edited December 2013
    I don't really think you should have a baby shower but maybe you could get a few girlfriends together and go out to brunch.  My co-worker just had a girl 2 years after having a boy and we decorated her office and all of us got her a few things.  I didn't mind doing this at all.  

My DD will be almost 8 when #2 is born and most people on here would still say it's tacky if I had another shower even if #2 is a boy.  I'm sure I'll have someone offer, but I'm not sure if I'll accept. I would hate for any of the invitees to look at me as a tacky, gift receiving, no good person and all.  
    ~Jessica~ 

• Options
    I like how every answer that validated OP having a second shower was marked as "answer" and anything with a differing opinion wasn't...why ask, then?

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    JmeJme said:
    I like how every answer that validated OP having a second shower was marked as "answer" and anything with a differing opinion wasn't...why ask, then?
    I noticed this too...  Seems like OP already had her answer before she asked the question, and just wanted validation.

imageimage

• Options

If I were in your shoes, I would NOT have a second shower. In my opinion, that ship has already sailed.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    ""Nope.  A shower is to welcome a new mother to motherhood."" Huh?? Who came up with this??

baby shower is a way to celebrate the pending or recent birth of a child by presenting gifts to the parents at a party (that's the actual definition... Look it up!). 
    What would you say to someone who is having their second child 14 years after the first when they clearly have nothing left from the previous baby??? Should this second one not be celebrated just as much as the first?
  • Options
    ""Nope.  A shower is to welcome a new mother to motherhood."" Huh?? Who came up with this??

baby shower is a way to celebrate the pending or recent birth of a child by presenting gifts to the parents at a party (that's the actual definition... Look it up!). 
    What would you say to someone who is having their second child 14 years after the first when they clearly have nothing left from the previous baby??? Should this second one not be celebrated just as much as the first?
    I would tell her that she should buy her own baby things. It's no one else's responsibility to provide for the baby but her and her husband's. 

And you're right, that is the definition, but it also says that traditionally, a shower is only given for the first child. It is celebrating the birth of the child, not the child itself. The mother gives birth. Children are celebrated at their birthday parties once they are separate from their mother.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So then I'm assuming you invite friends & family to your child's birthday party,,, usually expected to bring A GIFT!!!

If you don't want to attend a person's second, third... baby shower cause you think it's tacky, it's your business & right to just not go!! You all seem like selfish jerks to me. No different than "celebrating your child" with a birthday party expecting a gift!
  • Options
    Neither is in necessarily at a Baby Shower when you are celebrating a new baby. 

Maybe you ladies should stop trolling the pregnancy boards and let everyone enjoy theirs....
  • Options

So then I'm assuming you invite friends & family to your child's birthday party,,, usually expected to bring A GIFT!!!

If you don't want to attend a person's second, third... baby shower cause you think it's tacky, it's your business & right to just not go!! You all seem like selfish jerks to me. No different than "celebrating your child" with a birthday party expecting a gift!
    lol!! I know! Maybe it's also tacky to throw birthday parties for your kids? My tacky 3 yo had a blast at hers, I might go against the etiquette gods and let her have a birthday every single year ;)

• Options

Sigh. You just don't get it. And neither does bingbong. But ok, we are selfish jerks for not being gift grabby, entitled brats. LOL.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My mom had one with my little sister but we were 6 years apart. It doesn't really affect my life in any way if someone has a baby shower two years a part from another. Do what you want!

It's a BOY

• Options
    Erica314 Erica314 member
    edited December 2013

Wait, why are you attacking our views which were asked for by the OP?  If she didn't want opinions on whether or not another shower was appropriate, she wouldn't have posted, smartypants.

And yes, if you want to be an entitled princess and beg all of your friends to pay for everything you need to rear your child then you surely can throw another shower.  No one is saying we are going to come burn your house down if you do - just expressing that clearly a good chunk of people see baby showers as welcoming the MTB to motherhood and not about the baby.  If it was a party for the baby, why wouldn't it be held after the baby was born so that s/he could attend? 

For the record, I do think there are certain circumstances in which a second shower is alright to accept.  A mother wanting one after having a child of the same sex only two years ago is most definitely NOT one of these circumstances.

imageimage

• Options

Meery82 said:

Sigh. You just don't get it. And neither does bingbong. But ok, we are selfish jerks for not being gift grabby, entitled brats. LOL.
    Hehe I like the irony in that

It's a BOY

• Options
    I have an idea!  If someone offers to throw a second, or third or fourth time mom a shower and you don't want to go, then don't.  I certainly hope I don't offend any of my family members that possibly offer to throw me one by saying that it's portrayed as tacky and that I'm not sure if I should accept their offer.  It's hard to read minds, and I'd hate for anyone to feel obligated to come.

~Jessica~ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"