December 2012 Moms

Transition to Milk

Now that a lot of babies have turned one I'm curious how many are starting to drink milk? For those that are how did you transition? DD doesn't turn one until the 27th and we have not started introducing any milk yet. Right now it's hard to imagine her transitioning off formula because she still isn't eating a ton of solid food.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

Re: Transition to Milk

• I'm stuck too, but am hoping for help at her well baby on Friday. We have the added complication that she's on soy formula - I guess soy milk is the next step, but haven't exactly figured out how to integrate that into our household (DH and I both can tolerate milk without a problem). Also, she's gotten picky lately... Fruit purées, veggie purées, and crunchies and that's about it. Ugh.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• I'm stuck too, but am hoping for help at her well baby on Friday. We have the added complication that she's on soy formula - I guess soy milk is the next step, but haven't exactly figured out how to integrate that into our household (DH and I both can tolerate milk without a problem). Also, she's gotten picky lately... Fruit purées, veggie purées, and crunchies and that's about it. Ugh.

DD is on soy formula as well. She has been getting about 80% breastmik 20% soy. We have started to introduce regular formula to see how she does. She's been on a 50/50 mix since Friday and so far so good. Assuming that goes well we will go from milk based formula to milk. I think a lot of babies outgrow the lactose sensitivity. I'm not sure what we do if she cannot tolerate milk. That's on my list of questions as well.

• Loading the player...
  • DD turned one on the 2nd. At that time we did 75/25 mix breast milk and whole milk. Last week we did 50/50, this week we'll do 25/75. She's doing well with it, other than giving a "this tastes funny" face, according to daycare. She should be ready to do straight WCM next week. Still nursing at home, but I guess we'll probably give her some milk at meals if she wants it.
  • JessAnnJ said:

I'm stuck too, but am hoping for help at her well baby on Friday. We have the added complication that she's on soy formula - I guess soy milk is the next step, but haven't exactly figured out how to integrate that into our household (DH and I both can tolerate milk without a problem). Also, she's gotten picky lately... Fruit purées, veggie purées, and crunchies and that's about it. Ugh.

DD is on soy formula as well. She has been getting about 80% breastmik 20% soy. We have started to introduce regular formula to see how she does. She's been on a 50/50 mix since Friday and so far so good. Assuming that goes well we will go from milk based formula to milk. I think a lot of babies outgrow the lactose sensitivity. I'm not sure what we do if she cannot tolerate milk. That's on my list of questions as well.

I screwed up earlier and gave her normal formula by mistake, and she's had four runny diapers since lunch and horrible gas. I feel so bad that she seems uncomfortable, especially since I did it. :( I'm hoping she'll grow out of it eventually since we don't have any allergies on either side of our family. Good luck with your little one. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Since DS didn't handle milk well I'm not going to introduce it until I'm ready to wean. Her pedi was fine with this too. So she's just going to have momma milk for a while.
    She also has days where she doesn't eat much, but I've been offering her a snack when she asks to nurse before dinner. It's usually around 330-4 that she wants to, if she's going to nap that's fine, but I'm trying to get her to understand that she can have food when she's hungry.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • kjsmith9 said:

DD turned one on the 2nd. At that time we did 75/25 mix breast milk and whole milk. Last week we did 50/50, this week we'll do 25/75.

This. DS will be on the 25/75 ratio this week (for his afternoon/evening cups). He's also still nursing 2x a day before I go into work in the afternoon and he gets straight wcm at meals since he doesn't drink a ton then. I think he'd drink whatever we gave him though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm scared to give WCM since he had such a hard time with ME having it when he was 3 weeks old (ER visit at 2am "hard time").  So I haven't given much thought to it...I'm still pumping, he's getting milk in cups at daycare (bottles he dropped completely at around 11 months), nursing when we're together.  We drink almond milk at home, which I can't send to daycare b/c of nut allergy concerns.  I recently bought hemp milk with the idea we might try that.  I really have no idea.  I'd love to just get to 2 with breastmilk only...not sure I can handle pumping for a whole year more though =/
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We turn 1 on Thursday and have been on whole milk all day for about 2 weeks. I never really did a mix of breast milk because I hate pumping and I hate the thought of wasting my frozen milk. I started giving her 1 oz as a drink with her meals and gradually moved it up to 2 when I saw I was getting diapers that weren't rock solid or runny. She has tolerated it really well and is on it from 7am-7pm. I nurse her right before I get out of bed and to sleep and in the middle of the night if she wants it (which she does). I'm not exactly ready to give up my night time bonding time, but I am SOOOOOOO happy I don't have to get in and out of that stinking uniform 3x a day.
    IMG_4940vin-1-1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm scared to give WCM since he had such a hard time with ME having it when he was 3 weeks old (ER visit at 2am "hard time").  So I haven't given much thought to it...I'm still pumping, he's getting milk in cups at daycare (bottles he dropped completely at around 11 months), nursing when we're together.  We drink almond milk at home, which I can't send to daycare b/c of nut allergy concerns.  I recently bought hemp milk with the idea we might try that.  I really have no idea.  I'd love to just get to 2 with breastmilk only...not sure I can handle pumping for a whole year more though =/

One of my coworkers started the process by introducing milk into her diet to see how her daughter reacted to the breastmilk after she started eating dairy again.

• It seemed a bit much to go 3 weeks to make the transition so we did it in 1.5. I added half milk to her formula and the first day had to warm it bc it was too cold for her. Didn't need to wam by second day. Then she sucked it down and we only offered two bottles - 1 morning and 1 night. Switched to full milk by a week and now we do one bottle morning and maybe a half at night. We are losing the bottles soon bc she drinks everything else from a sippy. Bottles will be gone this week!

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

• Maybe that's what it comes down to for me...I don't really want to have cows milk in the house, don't really care about having it again myself.  He's fine with all other dairy, and fine when I have dairy.  I just think milk is evil since the whole thing happened.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"