2nd Trimester

Ugh- Paint Problems!!!

So I had researched low-VOC paints to use when painting the baby's nursery, and sent my husband out to get the paint....unfortunately he came back with the wrong type of paint. And, of course, Home Depot won't let us return it because it was tinted (isn't most paint tinted?!? sigh).  Does anyone know if 100g/L of VOCs is a bad level?  I know I'll probably get differing opinions on this one.....   We can go out and buy 3 more gallons of the right kind, and may end up doing that....but money is tight & I'm feeling frustrated.  

Also- we bought 2 gallons of the same type for our master bath, which we are also painting. If we do go buy more paint, I'm thinking it will only be for the baby's room, & just use what we have for the bathroom....assuming that since it's not for the nursery we shouldn't worry about it as much. My husband will definitely paint the bathroom....but now I'm nervous if it's bad that I'm even going to be around the paint with "normal" levels of VOCs....  

Any thoughts??

Re: Ugh- Paint Problems!!!

• I didn't even research paint before we painted the baby's room. Lol
  • Ok thanks everyone....I did kinda wonder if I was over-thinking it. I had no clue about paint at all and then was reading about VOCs and started to worry that the paint would affect my baby....but again I didn't have perspective from anyone else yet (just google searches) so this helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just open the windows while painting. I painted every room in my house while 7 months pregnant. DS and myself were fine.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB said not to worry about paint exposure.  I asked him because we are in the middle of a major house remodeling project (refinishing floors, painting, etc. etc.).  Doc said that anything that could go wrong happens independently of paint exposure - said it is most often genetic,  My doc said that it is purely anxiety/paranoia that makes folks think paint will cause a fetus to have issues.  Granted, he is a pretty hands off, no nonsense guy.  But he is also a prestigious high risk OB.  I found that most water based paints do not bother me.  We had to use an oil based primer, and that made me vomit.  I took that as the hint to not be around that nasty oil based stuff.  Like everyone else said...open a window and take breaks when you need.  

• I guess I was more worried about things I read about it not being good for the baby (as in, after he's born), because of "gasses" that the VOCs release over time.  I don't know if that's true or not. My doctor had told me it was ok to paint and didn't say anything about VOCs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"