2nd Trimester

Low Lying Placenta

At my 20 week A/S the tech identified that I had a low lying placenta (1.6 - they like to see at least 2). I immediately asked for a doctor to explain the definition, the impacts, and to discuss any precautions. The doctor said this is fairly common and not to worry. The placenta is mostly above the. 2 mark but the very base is touching the top of the cervix, but definitely not covering it at all. She also said I could resume my daily jogging and exercise routine, have sex etc.
I of course have been very worried (FTM) since this was found and have been researching the Internet and finding conflicting information. For those of you that have had this diagnosis as well, are you finding that this is definitely not placenta prévia and also that the worst case scenario is a c section? If that's the case, I can breathe a sigh of relief but I did read one article stating that the placenta could separate, which is terrifying. Has anyone heard of this? Are you on any restrictions? Any insight is much appreciated!!!
This is also on the May 2014 board...
Thanks!!!!

Re: Low Lying Placenta

• At my 11w5d ultrasound the tech told me baby a's placenta was partially on my cervix and had I had any spotting. I asked what that would mean etc. and was told by the tech and my OB that it was fine and most likely would move up on its own. I'm not sure at what point it stops moving but I think I heard 28 weeks, so yours could still move up.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • I got told this at an emergency 17 week scan, then during my 20 week scan the sonographer said it wasn't low lying it was in fact in the normal position??? X
  • Loading the player...
  • The placenta will very likely move further up as your uterus grows and not be an issue later in the pregnancy or affect delivery.
        image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"