June 2014 Moms
Options

Baby carriers for HOT weather

I'm plagued by year-round, non-stop, sticky, disgusting, hot weather. I've done a bunch of research on baby carriers but was wondering if anyone has experience with baby-wearing in hot, humid weather. Is it even going to work? I have secret dreams of not owning a stroller for the first six months or a year.

Do you have a suggestion for carriers that work better than others? The consensus I've seen online is that the K'tan Breeze and the Ergo Performance or Sport will give us the most ventilation to hopefully stay cool-ish. Also helpful are carriers that will work for (likely) tall babies? I've seen some people note that tall babies outgrow these carriers really quick.

Re: Baby carriers for HOT weather

• Options
    I think the ergo would be good since it has alot of open space for ventilation.

I would not suggest the Bjorn. DS got so hot in it this summer.
    Married 6.23.12
    Baby #1 5.10.13
    Baby #2 6.9.14
    Baby #3 EDD 10.1.15
    Life is good :)

• Options
    I am in love with my regular K'tan and have heard good things about the Breeze.
    Try the Attachment Parenting Board, baby carriers are a big topic over there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My siggy links have lots of carrier info that might help you.  Do you have a sense of what sort of carrier you'd like - tying vs. buckles?  My go-to in hot sticky weather is a thin woven wrap or a gauze wrap.  The k'tan is ok but is somewhat limited in that it is very wearer size specific and most do not find it very supportive pat 10-15 pounds.  I'm not a huge ergo fan - it's a good carrier but I don't personally like it for front carries as you can't cross the straps behind you in a front carry (which I find more comfortable) and it's not great for newborns as you'll need the insert - not very cool!!

You can use something like the ergo with a toddler weight wise but many will find the body size less comfortable once baby gets taller.   There's really no buckle carrier or mei tai that truly will work for all sizes birth to toddlerhood because of that.  I would buy something that you will love now and worry about getting something different down the road if your needs change (just like how people buy different strollers or carseats as their kids get older).

A wrap and a ring sling are birth to toddler carriers though.  I will likely use thin wovens and linen ring slings mostly this summer.  Something like the babyhawk mei tai is a good choice as well - cooler than a buckle carrier and more suitable for a newborn.
  • Options
  • Options
    I used a Moby wrap with DD and it was great! Not too hot and a cinch to tie once you get the hang of it. She loved it.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Options
    K'tan breeze is wonderful

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options
    I live in south Texas and have the baby K'tan
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! You all are so helpful.

I'm in the unfortunate position that I'll have to bite the bullet buy something early and won't be able to try new carriers or return stuff that doesn't work. Your advice makes this all a little bit easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"