January 2014 Moms
Options

Perineal Massage How-To (Video)

Hey everyone, I know this topic has popped up a time or two, but it has been a little while and it was never discussed how to do it. I know I have done a lot of reading on it and thought the directions were a little vague, so I was happy to come across this how-to video. 

Anyway, they especially recommend if for FTMs to reduce tearing and since we are all around the time when you're supposed to start (if you plan to do it), I thought I'd pass along the video. It's clean, I promise. :) 

Re: Perineal Massage How-To (Video)

• Options
    Ok, I swear it was embedded when I posted. No idea what happened. It shows up when you "quote." But here's the link -

• Options
    Thank you, this video is actually pretty helpful. I was kind of wondering how to go about doing it and was going to start looking into it this weekend -- since I'm 34 weeks today.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like this would be impossible to to do b on yourself. It could be a good thing to have your hubby do for foreplay ;) aw man
    Damn pelvic rest!
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Options
    Thanks for reminding me...I need to start on this.

It does actually make for interesting foreplay...lol. I did this prepping for my first birth and DH would do it....and then the stimulation would usually make me a little excited so then it would turn to sexy time :)

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options
    FOR STMs: If your done perineal massage, out if curiosity what kind lube did you use (ie, regular KY, the fancy his/hers KY, coconut oil, etc?)? Did it make a difference for the massage?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That is helpful!  Thanks!!
    BabyFruit Ticker image image

• Options
    Very helpful! Thank you for posting:)
  • Options
    @tarajeannette I have read similar findings as far as scientific research and I've also read a lot of anecdotal evidence (obviously not scientific, but I have not read anything from anyone saying that they did the massage as instructed and still had serious tearing).

I decided to do it after hearing about serious tears and long, painful recoveries. My biggest L&D fear (other than the obvious very worst cases) is tearing, especially serious tearing. My thought is that it's not going to be comfortable or fun most likely, but I'd rather spend 5 minutes a few days a week being uncomfortable than have painful tears that take months to heal. It may not work well or at all, but at least I'll know I did what I could to avoid it.

I have also read people say that doing it helped prepare them for labor because they were somewhat aware of the pain in that region and learned to breathe and relax through it, making labor easier and less traumatic. I figure the risks are virtually nonexistent and the potential payoff is very high, so that's enough for me! :)
  • Options
    Thanks! I've read so much but still felt lost on this topic. Turned 34w today and I wanna start oiling up my lady bits!!
  • Options
    Everything I've read says use food grade oils:
    Olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, avocado oil, etc... If it's safe to eat it's safe for your vajajay :)

FOR STMs: If your done perineal massage, out if curiosity what kind lube did you use (ie, regular KY, the fancy his/hers KY, coconut oil, etc?)? Did it make a difference for the massage?

• Options
    Thanks for posting this video. I just happened to start researching on how to minimize tearing today. I'm getting kinda freaked out about it.

• Options
    Thanks for posting this!  I was kind of scared to open it when it said there was a video.  Just like I was scared to open the mucus plug pic post https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12191731/i-think-i-lost-my-mucus-plug-pip/p1  Thankful that I opened up both! 

It is definitely hard to reach down there.  I am not sure if i can talk DH into it.  At my appointment the Dr. reached in me and touched the baby's head.  Now DH is a little turned off about having his part that close to the baby's head!   
  • Options
    ovenrack said:
    holly142 said:
    Thanks for posting this!  I was kind of scared to open it when it said there was a video.  Just like I was scared to open the mucus plug pic post https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12191731/i-think-i-lost-my-mucus-plug-pip/p1  Thankful that I opened up both! 

It is definitely hard to reach down there.  I am not sure if i can talk DH into it.  At my appointment the Dr. reached in me and touched the baby's head.  Now DH is a little turned off about having his part that close to the baby's head!   
    Your doctor reached in and touched the baby's head?  I think that's not possible unless you're dilated (and in labor).  Or did you mean touched your cervix (which should be closed)?
    I am dilated, but not in active labor.  My doctor said that the baby was in the right position and that she knew this because she touched the head and described how she knew it was the head and not the bottom based on what she felt.  I didn't know she could do that either!   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"