Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby food pouches

I sometimes buy the baby food in the pouch, like Plum. But I always squeeze it into a bowl and spoon feed. Am I the only one? Are you supposed to just give it to baby to suck on like Gogurt or something? Just curious if I'm missing something...

Also, for those of you who do the pouches, how do you "allergy test" all the ingredients? Some have more than one "wierd" thing in them like beets and barley - 2 foods that you don't feed singly, and don't come in anything not paired with something similar.

Re: Baby food pouches

• Pouches are great for snacks when they're older.  At this age they're not able to hold them without making a mess :)  The thing with allergies is that waiting the three days doesn't change anything - it just makes it easier to pinpoint the culprit if a reaction happens.  So if you feed that and there's a reaction, you back off both items and talk to your doctor about how (or if) you reintroduce them again.  At some point they're eating meals and recipes and not single items.  You can't feed them every single food there is all by itself :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I was wondering about this too.  We are still on single food items but want to try some of the other mixes soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • elmoali said:

Pouches are great for snacks when they're older.  At this age they're not able to hold them without making a mess :)  The thing with allergies is that waiting the three days doesn't change anything - it just makes it easier to pinpoint the culprit if a reaction happens.  So if you feed that and there's a reaction, you back off both items and talk to your doctor about how (or if) you reintroduce them again.  At some point they're eating meals and recipes and not single items.  You can't feed them every single food there is all by itself :)

This. My almost 3 yr old loves those. I give them to him while at the zoo or outings he might just want to snack & not eat a meal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My baby sucks the food right out of the pouch. (He is 7.5 months old.) we do put a bib on him, as he will sometimes suck a bit too much and it will dribble out, but he's really proficient at it! We let him suck the pouches when he is in his high chair, but they are also great on the go. In the car if he is fussing and I can't nurse him (obviously), he can eat a pouch. We also give them to him if we are eating out. We do have to stay near him because sometimes he drops it, but overall he can eat the entire thing with minimal help from us.  When we spoon-feed him he is constantly trying to grab the spoon and getting food on his hands, so for us, the pouch is WAY less mess. We also do some table-foods that he can feed himself, and he seems to like feeding himself the most.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • You can buy spoons that screw on so you squeeze a bit onto the spoon then feed your LO. I got the spoons at Walmart.
  • We never bothered with the 3 day rule.  She eats what we eat, she's never really had 1 food at a time it's always a variety of foods, with various herbs and spices.  We just figured if she ever reacted at a meal we would make note of all foods served at that meal and then avoid those until we touch based with the doctor or give those one at a time to pin point which food it was.

In reality most kids will never react to a food so it is a lot of work to introduce every food out there one at a time on the off change they will react.  Meals/life is much more relaxed if you just dive in and deal with a reaction when/if the child ever has one.

We also made a point of giving all the high risk foods early...my 9month old loves peanut butter and was eating it daily for awhile.  Now we live more relaxed because we don't have to worry about the off chance of her being exposed to it for the first time while out and about or if some random kid kisses her after eat a PB&J sandwich.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"