1st Trimester
Options

Question about x-rays and 1st trimester

Ok, so I went to the dentist yesterday and she took 4 x-rays of my teeth. She did put the lead apron on me. I found out today I'm pregnant. I wasn't expecting that I would be b/c this was an "off month" for us, but I guess it happened somehow anyway. So, I freaked out about the x-rays yesterday. I called ob immediately and nurse called back and said she spoke to nurse practioner who stated it should be ok if I had on the apron. But of course, I googled it, and some of what I read freaked me out!

Has this happened to anyone? Anyone had dental or other x-rays while pg? I'm still worried....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about x-rays and 1st trimester

• Options
    I think ( if I remember correctly) that the amount of radiation in the dental xrays is much lower than if you had say a chest xray. (Hope that makes you feel better :)  ) Thank goodness you were wearing lead.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure dental xrays are pretty low in radiation.  You should be fine if you had the lead apron on!  Congrats!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had dental x-rays done a few days ago. I knew I was pregnant and told my dentist. They put two aprons over me. I told the OB about it and she said this was fine so long as I was covered. You'll be ok :). Congrats.
  • Options
    I'm sure this has happened before and since you are so early, I wouldn't worry.  Whatever you do, don't google!!!  It will make you panic when there probably isn't need for it!!!!
    Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had an x ray on my thumb before I found out I was pregnant. ( I was about 5 weeks) Doctor said not to worry and my baby is developing perfectly fine.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

• Options

here's what american pregnancy association says about x-rays in pregnancy:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/xrays.html

It should make you feel better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Sorry this response is so late but I hope you get it. I am an x-ray tech. and I wear lead aprons and stand in direct radiation all day long during our fluoroscopy exams and up in the O.R. This type of exposure, of course, has been reviewed by all of our boards (ARRT, ASRT, OHD, etc) and has been deemed safe. No worries, I have seen hundreds of perfectly healthy babies born to us x-ray techs who receive more than the norm.I promise you are perfectly fine. To make you feel better, you receive more radiation on an airplane flight than you do in one xray.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Im ?a dental hygienist and take xrays alllll day...But you are fine...they just wont take anymore till you have the baby unless you have a BIG problem..
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagelegalbee33:
    I had dental x-rays done a few days ago. I knew I was pregnant and told my dentist. They put two aprons over me. I told the OB about it and she said this was fine so long as I was covered. You'll be ok :). Congrats.

Whew! This is good to know.  I have a dentist appointment next month and really don't want to cancel.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker M/C #1 - BFP 12/28/2008. Confirmed m/c at 6wks - blighted ovum on 1/9/2009. M/C #2 - BFP 6/16/2009. Confirmed m/c at 7wks - blighted ovum on 7/1/2009.
  • Options
    My pulmonologist told me he would not see me b/c I'm pregnant, b/c they do x-rays in their office. I thought this was odd, but it made me really cautious. A day or so later, I went to a walk-in clinic and had my husband go in before me and ask if I could go in there, since they do x-rays. The nurse and dr. there basically said my pulm. gave me a bunch of crapp. They also said you get more radiation on an airplane than from an x-ray.

• Options
    Hey Kelly4476 I am an xray tech too. I am not pregnant yet but I am curious do you do the bone densities too? I dont know if I want to do them once I am pregnant, our table is really close to where we sit. Some girls do them and wear a shield and I know some refuse. So I am just curious what yours thoughts are.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"