April 2013 Moms

Sleep issue...update*

burneyonboardburneyonboard member
edited December 2013 in April 2013 Moms
LO just woke up screaming for thirty minutes. He refused the breast, I tried changing him, and Tylenol. It scared the crap out of me bc I couldn't console him and I thought something was wrong. He finally rocked backed to sleep but it came out of no where. He seemed out of it and I read that it may have been night terrors on google. Anyone else experience this or have advice?

**update**so took LO and his sister to the doctor just to make sure. My daughter has been fighting a cold. Turns out they both had ear infections. I feel horrible for not knowing. Poor little guy had no symptoms and none of my babies have had ear infections before. Ugh...so giving first antibiotic and spending the rest of the day snuggling with them :(.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep issue...update*

• edited December 2013
    About a week ago our guy woke up screaming around 11 pm and was nearly inconsolable. He wouldn't even nurse at first, which is his ultimate comfort thing, so I was kind of freaking out... But then I switched sides and he finally latched on and calmed down. It's only happened that one time, so hopefully your is just a one time fluke as well? I think maybe my guy got even more upset trying to nurse because I probably didn't have much milk since he nursed for a long time between 7 and 8 and I don't ever nurse him at 11 pm anymore.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • ceamac0127ceamac0127 member
    edited December 2013
    I was reading that night terrors can start around 8-10 months. Their eyes can be open or closed and they don't know that they are crying. Super strange

Eta I did not read the very end of your post where you mentioned night terrors. I'm going to blame that oversight on the fact that it's a Monday.
  • Loading the player...
  • This has happened to us twice! Very weird bc breastfeeding usually solves everything. I couldn't get him to stop crying, but then my hubby came in the room and took him and he stopped crying. Weird!
  • smiles21866smiles21866 member
    edited December 2013
    This happened to us a couple nights ago. I was watching him stir on the monitor and then all the sudden he started screaming bloody murder. Both my H and I jumped out of bed and ran in there. I picked him up and it took him awhile to calm back down. It was 5am so I decided to bring him back to bed for some snuggles. He fell back asleep again but poor guy, broke my heart :( I'm guessing night terrors. It hasn't happened again thankfully.
    Eta:wording
  • It scared the crap out of me. I felt so helpless. I hope this was a one time thing. To top it off my 3 year old has a fever that won't break. Ugh, what a night...thanks ladies :)

• Ear infections are hard to figure out!  they are never obvious, especially if they don't helpfully pull at their ears constantly.  I missed it in one of my daughter's too recently.  I also felt guilty, but you know, there is so much we mother's can feel guilty about, give yourself some slack.  Baby is getting treated now and both will feel better soon.  I will suggest advil over tylenol to help with the pain part though, just a million times more effective.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Thanks kgs0505. I'll definitely give him Advil when he wakes up :)

• Glad you trusted your instinct and took them in!  DS had a fever once with an ear infection, but otherwise his only real symptoms were fussiness and crappy sleep. Which can also just be part of being a baby. Mom instinct is often your best diagnostic tool!  Hope they both feel better soon!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"