Baby Names

Julia (a pronunciation problem/question)

I am currently expecting my second child and we are in the process of choosing names. A girl name we are considering is Julia. I really like the name, it was on our list 3 years ago when we had our son, and I love that I really don't hear it often for little girls in our area. My issue is that I hate the way my mother pronounces the name, and obviously she would be saying it often. I pronounce the name with 3 syllables (Ju-lee-ah). My mom pronounces it with 2 syllables (Jul-ya). 1. How do you pronounce the name Julia? 2. Would you discard a name if you thought you'd have to constantly correct or ignore a close family member's pronunciation? 3. Would you just tell your mother she's saying it wrong? (I'm pretty sure I did this 3 years ago and she still says Jul-ya, but perhaps I wasn't serious enough at the time)
<BabyFruit Ticker>

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: Julia (a pronunciation problem/question)

• Please excuse the formatting...for some reason my formatting is not retained when I post from my ipad.
    <BabyFruit Ticker>

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • How can someone mispronounce this, baffles my mind! It certainly wouldn't stop me from naming my child that. I'd just keep telling Mom, you're butchering it! After hearing/saying it all the time she'll catch on. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I LOVE Julia and always pronounced it like you. I would name your child that and tell your mom the other pronunciation bothers you.
    Well done!!
  • NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited December 2013
    I say Ju-lee-a, but I do hear it pronounced like Jul-ya a lot where I'm from, mostly by older people.   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• That is my name, no one ever pronounces it like your mom does, so go for it and just let your mom know from Day 1 how it's pronounced. Nice choice, btw. ;)

• I have heard it both ways, and sometimes have trouble remembering which way acquaintances with the name pronounce it.  I have that issue with a few names with different pronunciations and friends I don't see often.  If I saw her often, as I would with a grandchild, I would be more likely to remember the preferred pronunciation.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Correct mom, she'll get the hang of it soon enough
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't understand how people get Jool-ya out of Julia. Makes me wonder how they pronounce Julie.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I say it like you! Beautiful name!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'd pronounce it the way you do except when I'm too tired/drunk/metal-mouth, at which point I'd slur it as your mother does.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• I've heard it both ways. And I don't necessarily think Jool-ya sounds wrong, it's just a different and relatively common pronunciation. This is one of those names that if you name a kid that, you'll have to get used to the minor variations that exist. I get that your mom doing it would be annoying, but that's something you have to decide to live with. Example: I've heard Anastasia as Anna-stay-sia, and Ahna-stah-sia. and Anna-stay-sha. I don't think any of those are particularly awful, I'm sure that there is one correct phonetic pronunciation, but you'll run into regional and generational differences.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I say it the way your mom does. But honestly, when saying them both out loud I can barely hear the difference. Pretty name though!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think your mom is a special snowflake on this one.  Don't let it deter you.  Correct her again and move on.

My cousin just had a little Julia.  It's a sweet name.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"