2nd Trimester

Bending over bad?

milomiamilomia member
edited December 2013 in 2nd Trimester
I've been keeping up with chores and rearranging the house-including bending over and squatting etc. I have a friend that tells me this is bad and avoid bending over...is this true? I'm 15 wks I can't imagine I'd be this incapacitated this early on!

Re: Bending over bad?

• I don't think so. If it is I'd have to quit my job working with toddlers. I just try to avoid it as much as I can but it's not always possible and my midwife never said don't do it.
  • I think it's fine. I'm 24 weeks with twins and I squat & bend at the knees to do things - I try to avoid doing it when I can.
  • Loading the player...
  • No but if you are lifting stuff, make sure to lift with your legs and not your back - always important but moreso when pregnant as your core is weakened making back injury more likely.  Plus squatting is excellent prep for labor!
  • I try to avoid repetitive bending, like picking up a bunch of DD's individual toys. But i would be more concerned about moving furniture then bending.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I only avoid bending because too much of it tends to make me nauseous.  Other than that, as long as I can still physically do it (the belly's not getting in the way), I'm good.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I'm 22 weeks and play volleyball (lots of bending and squatting) and do yoga. As long as ur not high risk and feel good, activity is good. Your body will tell u when ur pushing the limits.
  • As long as it's comfortable to do, then you're fine.  Definitely be careful to make sure you do it safely though -- toes not going out past your knees, if you lift heavy things use your legs not your back, etc.  And if you can, try to hold onto something when you stand back up for some support.

imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's fine

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• I'm 40w, 3d and I still bend over every day to shave my legs so if it's bad for you then I've been doing this whole pregnancy thing wrong. But as PPs suggested, as long as you feel okay to do so and aren't lifting heavy items with your back then you should be A-okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • milomiamilomia member
    edited December 2013
    Wow and I thought at 40wks bending over to shave legs would be really difficult. I'm even a bit worried about shaving down there before delivery! :-S
  • My husband gets freaked out when I squat or bend over- but he's an overprotective nut who thinks my water is going to break if I sneeze too hard. I love him and the protectiveness is cute, but there's no reason to believe that squatting or bending will cause baby to hit the eject button prematurely!

Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Unless you feel uncomfortable doing it, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure if you do start feeling crampy then to relax a bit. And make sure you drink lots of water
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A lot of forward bending can aggravate sciatica, but if you bend your knees it should be fine...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"