July 2013 Moms
Options

Exciting news and budgeting question

First for the exciting news: not a BFP (sorry for the disappointment) but the other day DH and I decided I'm going to stay home from work till September! DH kind of sprung the idea on me out of nowhere. I was supposed to go back after New Years and was crying about it almost daily. It had gotten to the point where I was sad to look at DD because all I could think about was leaving her. I was also dreading leaving her with MIL. I am so relieved!! So things are going to be tight and I was wondering if anyone has any budgeting tips? If you coupon, any advice? I have used a coupon maybe 5 times, so I am not experienced on how to make the most of them. Maybe i'll become one of those extreme couponing ladies!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
imageimage

Re: Exciting news and budgeting question

• Options

I have become a Target fanatic. I use their Cartwheel app. You can use coupons on top of the Cartwheel discount (they have their own target coupons and you can also use manufacturer's coupons - if you have both you can use both on the same item). I also signed up for their debit card so I get 5% off each purchase and it's just coming right out of my bank account.

This exactly! I shop at target all the time and use all their money saving features. Also I menu plan for the month. It saves a ton of money when I'm grocery shopping and saves time too since you're not wondering what to make every day. We rarely eat out because of my menu plan.

When I go shopping for anything, I rarely pay full price. If I don't have a coupon or it's not on sale I don't buy it.

Good luck and have fun staying at home. I wish I could stay home but it doesn't work for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I save a ton of money on diapers through amazon subscribe and save. I use my moms prime account so I don't pay the yearly fee. I pay about 25 a box for the largest box of Luvs. I really like these diapers more than the others because once the kids get a little older, they leak less. I end up paying a little less than 50 a month for diapers for both of my boys (ds1 quit using the potty too)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love target for saving. The biggest thing I do to save money is meal plan. It keeps me focused while shopping and we eat out less, which saves money.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options
    I always recommend signing up for mint.com. It is great for budgeting and is really easy to see where your money is really going.

I really don't coupon very often, but instead mostly shop at stores like aldi where the price is already. When it comes to food coupons tend to be for things we don't really eat, lots of processed and junk foods. (We also don't get a newspaper for coupons, so I would have to find them online which is honestly more time consuming than it is worth sometimes. I think I save more by not paying for the paper than by using coupons.) However, hip2save.com is an amazing site for learning to coupon and how to get the best deals. She regularly posts when there are ways to get things for free or nearly free.

Take a look at things like phone a cable bills. We don't have cable or a traditional land line ( we use magic jack) and save hundreds a year.

We CD whih saves a lot.
    Almost all of DS's clothes are used. There is a great local mama swap FB page that I get most of my stuff from- ask around if there is something similar in your area.

When we bought our house three years ago, I was nervous that we would even be able to make the payments if I quit, but between being frugal and DH's investments we will probably pay off the house next year!
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Muffin379Muffin379 member
    edited December 2013
    First congrats! We buy most of the kids clothes at Once Upon A Child. It's a gently used second had store for kids. We also get toys n stuff. My SO keeps an eye out for their $1 day weekends. We buy a season out and size up.
    We coupon from the paper and the Internet. Our parents save their coupons for us also. For gas there is an app called Gas Buddy and we find the cheapest gas in the area. It's a few $ here and there but it ads up. We also menu plan for the week and post it up. That stops us from ordering out. Also call bills/credit cards and ask for lower % rates and discounts. Sometimes if you say you are going to switch providers ( like cable) they will give you $5 discount for period of time.
  • Options
    On top of what others have said... I do coupon at CVS (I follow the matchup at Hip2Save.com) and rarely pay anything for toiletries and also get DH Pepsi, toilet paper and sometimes cleaning supplies for super cheap. I use Target's Red card but find I save MORE by not going to Target so I can't splurge on random crap! I menu plan and use PeaPod to deliver my groceries-- even with the delivery fee and slightly higher prices I spend less because I can sit down with my meal plan and the computer and do my shop from my house so I know exactly what I need. I have an American Express Blue card that gives you 4% back on gas/groceries-- we only use it for these and I pay it off every month and have gotten back almost $1000 in one year (they had a $200 reward if you charged $500 the first month). I cut cable, keep the house very cool, am a light turning off monster. Oh, and if you stop cleaning you can hugely save on those supplies, lol!

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• Options
    What great news! So happy for you. I agree with the Target, Amazon Prime and Once Upon A Child tips. We also use a site called slick deals to get online coupon codes.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I agree with posters above about only buying what food you need that week, but I also find that certain items go on sale for super cheap sometimes, so if you have room, stock up on it. I bought a bunch of cans of broth around Thanksgiving since it was really cheap. With Christmas coming up, bqking supplies often go on big sales. We also stock up on meat when it is on sale and freeze it.
  • Options
    Everyone has their own way I stretching the budget. I do my grocery shopping bi weekly and make a menu and stick to that. I have a strict budget thy I stick to. I do coupon and I match store coupons with manufacturer coupons and the weekly add to save money. I make my own baby food which is a huge money saver. I also make my own laundry detergent.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Options
    @robynloureed everyone I've met that does this has a little different way. Here's mine: 1 bar of fels naptha shredded, 1 1/2 cups washing soda, 1 1/2 cups borax. I melt the fels naptha in a pot of boiling water. Full a 5 gallon bucket half way with hot water (as hot as your faucet will go), dissolve the washing soda and borax in the bucket, add the melted fels naptha, top off the bucket with more hot water.
    I've started using a small amount of downy unstoppables in my loads because I like the scent. I used coupons to get the cost of those down.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Options
    Congrats on SAHM. We use a financial planner through Ameriprise

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Erinm278 said:

@robynloureed everyone I've met that does this has a little different way. Here's mine: 1 bar of fels naptha shredded, 1 1/2 cups washing soda, 1 1/2 cups borax. I melt the fels naptha in a pot of boiling water. Full a 5 gallon bucket half way with hot water (as hot as your faucet will go), dissolve the washing soda and borax in the bucket, add the melted fels naptha, top off the bucket with more hot water.
    I've started using a small amount of downy unstoppables in my loads because I like the scent. I used coupons to get the cost of those down.

OMG I've never met someone who did the same recipe as me! I feel so connected. Haha
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options
    Congrats to you! Not a budget making person though.

Bonus: 

• Options
    @jackson290721- TWINSIES!!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Options
    I don't have much to add that's not been said already. I just wanted to agree that shopping at Target can be a huge savings, their 5% off plus cartwheel and coupons can really add up. Plus they run lots of great sales. We have a super target close to our house and also find it about $20 a week cheaper to buy our groceries there vs our local grocery store. I also started using their store brand diapers a few months ago, they are pretty cheap. Nadia was blowing out of Huggies almost every diaper no matter what size, and she got a rash from pampers, so I tried them and have been thrilled with them. Anyways, when done right Target can be great.

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • Options
    I try to plan my meals depending on what's on sale each week. If chicken is on sale then we eat chicken multiple times that week. Also stock up on sale items that you can freeze, like chicken. Another thing that works for us and is easy and healthy is rotisserie chicken we have it one night and then I make chicken salad the next day with the remainders. We easily get 2 sometimes 3 meals out of a $5 chicken.

Chicken chicken chicken chicken. Wtf? Apparently I'm chicken obsessed?! Congrats on staying home!
  • Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    edited December 2013
    @laurendag I don't think she qualifies because it says they have to be small for gestational age. https://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/368 the earliest they show is 33 weeks and it says they have to be smaller than 2 lbs 15oz. Womp womp. I'm glad she wasn't that small though!! Edited bc I forgot to tag you!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    dliz87dliz87 member
    edited December 2013
    @kmc217 stop cleaning and start saving on cleaning supplies.... Bahahaha!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"