2nd Trimester

Varicose Veins/Compression tights

Anyone have any experience with this? I am 20 weeks pregnant, and I have gotten some really ugly veins on my legs. They are bumpy and stick out unfortunately. Thankfully they do not hurt, I don't feel them at all. Should I be wearing compression tights? I'm not really sure what exactly the tights do- if they are solely to relieve discomfort then I don't need them, but if they somehow help with the veins sticking out then should I get a pair? And how often do you wear them, daily? Thanks for any input! 
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Varicose Veins/Compression tights

• Laura_ElaineLaura_Elaine member
    edited December 2013
    I have a spot on the inside of my right knee that appeared with my first and has progressively gotten worse with each pregnancy (this is my 4th). At my last appointment, I mentioned it to my OB, as it is getting slightly painful, but only after I just get up out if bed... she said it will just get worse with each pregnancy.

Compression tights, she says, are normally about $115 a pair, so she wrote me a prescription... though I'm going to have to call my insurance because I'm not sure where you take this kind of prescription.

The tights will slow down the progression of the veins getting worse... I think there is a laser type surgery that can get rid of them, but I'm thinking that's a last-resort type of thing.

ETA: They should be worn daily, but I won't have to wear them at night. I don't know if I'll need them after this pregnancy, though (at least until my next pregnancy...)
  • I am a frequenter of compression stockings...I started wearing them upon doctor's request after a pulmonary embolism.  I used to wear them strictly when I traveled and was sitting for long periods of time.  Now, I wear them because they are comfortable and feel nice.  The force the blood that usually pools in your legs to re-circulate.  Many nurses and doctors use them on a daily basis.  I have also used them to recover from longer races, like 2 day relays and half marathons.

Get a prescription from your doctor for the medical ones and get sized when you buy them.  They usually will take a measurement of your calf.  The running type ones are not as good, in my opinion.  I would also suggest going with the ones that stop at the knee but cover the entire foot.  I have a couple pairs that are toeless (I bought for wearing with sandals in summertime) and they make my toes swell...not comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"