2nd Trimester
Options

WTF work....vent

My coworker and I are both pregnant - she is a few weeks behind me.  She takes the day off from work whenever she has a doctor's appointment.  I always schedule mine on a day off or after work.  

Well, my next appointment is no where near a day off and I really don't want to put off my 20 week U/S for two weeks.  I also have excruciating back pain and could only get an appointment for this Friday for a prenatal massage at a medical spa recommended by my doctor (it's not meant to be a pleasant spa day).  This Friday is a conference and I will not be missed and the other date I requested is two weeks away - more than enough time to find coverage for me.  

I went in this morning to speak to my boss and reminded him that I always make my appointments on days off.  Well, I definitely got a guilt trip.  "Well, do you really need the whole day?  What time can you stay until or be back?"  Seriously??????  The only days I have ever taken off (in the 6 years I've been there) have been for funerals.  I NEVER call in sick, I'm always in early and usually stay late without complaint.  I also volunteer at every freaking extra event they host (without pay).  The morale where I work is at an all time low so no one ever shows.  But me, being the schmuck that I am, I always show face.   

I asked my friend if she ever gets this response and she said, "oh no not at all.  They're great about it!" Is it me or do I just need to stop caring?  Debating whether to actually go in for two hours in the morning and then leave...or should I just say screw it and take both days off?  

Ugggggghhhhhhh.......
Anyone else have issues with work just being asshats?  

Re: WTF work....vent

• Options
    Take both days off, they are trying to guilt you because they know it works on you.
    That's what I was going to say. Your boss is trying to guilt you into showing up even for a small amount of time because he probably thinks that'll work with you being a dedicated employee. Don't let it get to you. Maybe see it as a way (however twisted this may sound) that it shows your value in the company.

And take the days off.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Take the days. People try the guilt thing bc it works. You're better off insisting now then when the baby comes and you may need other days off. Stand up for yourself and demand fair treatment. You're not responsible for taking care of everything.
  • Options
    Don't put In the extra time. I've been at my company 5 years and basically treated the same. I have always gone above and beyond and finally realized no matter what you do there is no loyalty at work. They know you will go the extra mile and will keep taking advantage of that. Do what is best for you and stop going above and beyond when it's not expected from eveyone. Sorry I'm sure a ton will think this is terrible advice. My thoughts.. Kick ass at your job but when it comes to health take your apts. last time I was pregnant on bedrest 5 weeks before I had my son due to issues. It was unexpected and I didn't take a day off the whole year previous bc I was saving up my leave and two I had no backup. I would come In at 5 am to get my work out before apts. when I was hospitalized I heard from no one.. Then my disability got cut before I was released. I'm still at my company now but will be getting another job while on maternity leave this time. Since I had ds I still bend over backwards and finally have had enough. No one else I work with goes the extra mile and will tell our bosses to their face it won't be me working late etc etc and yet if I don't go te extra mile they get pissed. I spoiled them but now it's my family coming first

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    Take both days off, they are trying to guilt you because they know it works on you.
    this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Take the days.  It sounds like it's now "expected" that you're there all the time...and they are taking advantage of you. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This. Totally.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    Take both days off!!! 1-they are guilt tripping you and 2nd what are they going to do when ur not there after the baby is born...? Have the same issues with my work place they do it because they know they can because you care about ur job. You need some R&R you deserve it!
    imagePregnancy Ticker

• Options
    pandadairpandadair member
    edited December 2013
    Just to echo everyone else, take the days and don't feel bad about it. It never gets anyone anywhere to be the "yes" person of the office. A good employee will put in the hours when it's crunch time, but there's no benefit to being the office doormat. I've never experienced a male colleague feeling bad about taking time off, especially for health reasons.

• Options
    Take both days.  If you're entitled to it don't feel guilty about it.  
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - I am taking both days.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"