July 2013 Moms
Options

***Val***

@Valstulas

Do you mind telling me a little more about what you're feeding Finn to promote weight gain? We have been approved to start solids, and while Luke won't be eating much, I figured I might as well make it as fat-promoting as possible since he hasn't gained any weight at all in over a month. If he doesn't gain by our appointment next week, we're going to have to go back up on his hours on TPN again, and I'd rather avoid that. I'm planning on avocado, but what else? If you've already detailed this somewhere, I apologize, and a link would be awesome. 
FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.

Re: ***Val***

• Options
    Hey, Mimi!

Sorry to hear that Lucas hasn't been gaining well. It seems like this has really been a 2 steps forward, 1 step back process for you.

To answer your question, we've tried avocados, mashed potatoes, turkey, and carrots so far. I puréed the avocado and the turkey both with some breast milk. I made the potato and carrot purées with breast milk and butter, since neither contain fats. I plan to try bananas tomorrow and I think I'll just add some breast milk to that purée.

I'm fortunate that I have a big stash so I can use milk in my purees, but if I hadn't, I would just use formula to increase fat and caloric value.

If you want to use commercial purees like Gerber, you can, but anything that is naturally lean (like fruits and veggies), you should add butter or milk/formula to. It's fine to use cereals, too, just mix them with milk or formula and not straight water.

Our big struggle is that Finn just doesn't really seem ready for solids. He doesn't ever eye my food or reach for anything that I'm eating. When I'm trying to feed him solids, he shuts his mouth and turns his head away. I'll dip my finger in the purée and let him suck the food off my finger. He seems to be more responsive to that than spoon feedings, but he still spits back out most of it. I've started adding a small amount of powdered formula into the bottles of pumped milk he gets when I'm at work (not much, about 1/4 scoop of formula per 4 oz of milk) so that it's more calorically dense. With my older boys (who were also slow gainers), I would sprinkle their cereals with a little bit of powdered formula before mixing with breast milk.

Not sure how this is working for us yet. It's still pretty new, but good luck and let me know how it goes. I think about you and Lucas a lot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Thanks so much! We've just had so many speed bumps lately, it's hard to say what the real problem is, but he's taking a ton more milk now so I'm hoping he'll start inching up again soon. He has some too-big Christmas sweaters to grow into in the next 3 weeks! I tried avocado this afternoon - he was not a fan. He loved his sweet potatoes last week, just gobbled them down, and I was kind of counting on the avocado as a go-to fatty food (plus then I get to eat the rest!). We'll try again tomorrow I guess. 

I actually got a call from a nutritionist at his pharmacy after I posted the OP - she suggested I try some cooked egg yolk. Most babies would wait longer because of allergy risk, but apparently his lipids contained something egg-based so we can be pretty confident he won't react. She didn't really have a lot of other suggestions, just said what I'm doing sounds pretty good. 

I'm kind of hesitant to jump to meats, and adding butter seems so counterintuitive to me! But I suppose it's not a whole lot different from kids drinking whole milk. I do have plenty of BM, so I'm already using that to mix with solids. Bananas sound good - I guess high-calorie is actually what we're going for instead of high-fat, or are they wanting you to specifically go for fatty things? 

I hope Finn comes around to the solids soon! Battling a reluctant eater is maddening (we've had periods where Luke absolutely refuses his bottle). It's got to be frustrating to have to push solids before you think he's ready :(
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    casey78 said:
    Mimi, I am just a dirty looky loo, but I might have an idea for you - it was posted on the bf board a few weeks ago. Did you say you had oversupply and big stash? If so, you could skim the fat off one serving of milk and add to another bottle. Basically, you are making bm half and half. :)
    Oh! I think you might be a genius. That's brilliant. I do have a ton of milk. I wonder if the more lipase-y early stuff would work (if the fat is affected less, or more, or the same). 

Thanks so much! I would never have thought to do that. 
  • Options
    valstulasvalstulas member
    edited December 2013
    @casey78 That is a great suggestion, especially for a mom with a big supply. I may start doing this!

• Options
    Meats are iron and protein-rich and are great for growth, so there are new recommendations supporting the introduction of meats as first foods.

As far as butter goes, I find it pretty counter-intuitive as well, but it's a fast way to add lipids to the diet. :-??

• Options
    @casey78 thanks so much! I imagine I'll end up donating the oldest stuff soon because I have so much and then it will go in a pool with a bunch of other milk and the lipase won't matter, but I may experiment with it a little.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"