October 2012 Moms
Options

Stop asking my daughter to give you a kiss

PixelPosyPixelPosy member
edited December 2013 in October 2012 Moms
Interesting article... though I don't think I've encountered a stranger asking for kisses from a little girl, maybe that's a regional thing? Do you think having a child comply with a stranger's request out of social grace teaches them to be a people pleaser? Do you think the desire to please others is a taught thing? Or is it just personality?https://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/parenting-and-families/stop-asking-my-daughter-to-give-you-a-kiss-20130806-2rbp2.html

Re: Stop asking my daughter to give you a kiss

• Options
    Okay, hopefully I fixed the huge amount of white space when I first posted this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter hands out cookies at the nursing home every holiday. They usually ask for hugs and sometimes kisses. I have just stepped back and let her do what she wants. She always hugs and will sometimes turn her cheek for a kiss but usually she ignores their request for a kiss. I don't force her to kiss anyone but the way our families say goodbye is through hugs so I feel it is rude in our family t not hug. It would he like walking out the door and not saying goodbye. I have never had to force her to hug family though she loves to hug!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have forced her to be held by people she does not want to go to, not strangers, but family or friends we don't see often. I dont think I would force her to hug or kiss the same people when older. It does make sense that forcing a child to comply with an innocent physical request when clearly showing discomfort with the idea takes away their power to listen to their own signals when something doesn't feel right.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"