April 2013 Moms
Options

The switch to milk

What are the best options?

I know we've still got a while but my girls are coming up on 9 months and I just want to research and get everyone's opinions so I'm ready when the time comes!

Almond milk, soy milk, whole milk, etc...? What are your plans.

If you plan to keep breast feeding, disregard this post. And give yourself a big ole pat on the back.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: The switch to milk

• Options
    CanukMamCanukMam member
    edited November 2013
    Im gonna try to breastfeed but when the time comes it will be whole milk
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are on formula now but will do whole milk when the time comes! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They don't need cow's milk necessarily, just a higher fat milk. The fat in whole milk is good for their little brains. We will probably try whole milk, but I think DD is lactose sensitive, so she might end up on something else. That is, if she ever eats anything other than breast milk. This kid is totally indifferent to real food. : /
  • Options
    I want to keep bf , but there is some pressure to wean from H's family. We have nut allergies so good 'ol cow milk (whole) is what we'll do.
    If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams
  • Options

Our plan is to do breastmilk and whole cow's milk.

• Options
    We'll do whole as well, but if LOs weight continues to be on the higher end, I may be switching to 2% or 1% not much longer after the whole milk switch. I get that the fat is good for them but if his body doesn't necessarily need it i would rather keep a lower percentage in the house that DH and I will also possibly use.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Options
    Thinking almond milk over here. Probably will try mixing in a little flaxseed or olive oil to make sure he gets the extra bit of fat
  • Options
    we did goat milk with DS2. it's similar in composition to breast milk, and we have digestive issues on both sides. but we're also surrounded by goat farms and can get it at a reasonable price.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Options
    I did whole cow's milk when DS was 1 and I was also still breast feeding. Will probably do the same with DD.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We only drink almond milk at our house, so we will probably try that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We plan on doing whole cows milk 
    This is what I plan on doing.

• Options
    sapphire021sapphire021 member
    edited December 2013
    I honestly don't know yet.  I am lactose sensitive, so I don't really drink milk. But when I do, it's usually 1% milk or Lact-aid.  LO is lactose sensitive, but not intolerant. We will probably attempt whole milk first and go from there.
  • Options
    arschm02 said:

We'll do whole as well, but if LOs weight continues to be on the higher end, I may be switching to 2% or 1% not much longer after the whole milk switch. I get that the fat is good for them but if his body doesn't necessarily need it i would rather keep a lower percentage in the house that DH and I will also possibly use.

It's his brain that needs it for proper development.

FYI to those planning to use almond milk or other substitutes, they often don't have enough healthy fats. You can often get enough in by giving extra full fat cheese and yogurt.

• Options
    arschm02arschm02 member
    edited December 2013
    KrisM86 said:
    It's his brain that needs it for proper development. FYI to those planning to use almond milk or other substitutes, they often don't have enough healthy fats. You can often get enough in by giving extra full fat cheese and yogurt.

Thanks!
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Options
    Whole cow's milk -- my only "thing" is that I want hormone-free organic milk (which is what I drink anyway -- I buy 1% for us, but will do Whole for James).

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This may sound like a stupid question but how do you completely know you have a dairy allergy or sensitivity? Is there a test they can do and do you get diagnosed? Or is it just an assumption based on symptoms? I have asked several doctors about this and gotten a range of answers from, "Everyone is allergic to cow's milk, no one should drink it," to not even acknowledging me.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We will do organic whole as well. 

When do we switch? A year? I haven't really thought that far ahead, yet. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ARJ6511 said:

Same question I have. When do you switch? Does the doctor tell you?
  • Options
    My first LO has a dairy allergy so we do coconut milk for him. It has a fairly high amount of fat, so may just do that route for LO#2 if she ends up being allergic to dairy.
  • Options

Yes, a year. Formula is no longer necessary past that point. Infants do not need as many of the hundreds of nutrients they put in formula. Switching to milk will provide sufficient nutrition at way less cost. Breast milk is fine to continue giving after a year, as it continues to provide antibodies and the breast milk changes as the baby grows.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    So if you continue to bf past a year, do they still need cow's milk?

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Options
    hatroopes said:

I don't believe so, but it might not hurt to get them used to the flavor of cows milk for when you do stop breast feeding.... Whenever that may be. Maybe offer it at meal times but still nurse at night or morning. Or whatever combo you want, really.
  • Options
    We'll introduce whole milk at 1 year but keep bfing until at least 2.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    hatroopes said:

As long as you're nursing 3-4x a day, they don't need any other milk.

Really, the reason we give other mammal's milk is that babies still require the nutrients in milk until around 2-3 years, and most women aren't still nursing at that point. I'm sure you could give baby what they need through the rest of their diet, but cow's milk is easy and toddlers are picky.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

I want to keep bf , but there is some pressure to wean from H's family. We have nut allergies so good 'ol cow milk (whole) is what we'll do.

Why does it matter what DH's family thinks? You should do what's right for you, not them.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Whole Milk for us also
  • Options
    Angela814 said:
    As long as you're nursing 3-4x a day, they don't need any other milk. Really, the reason we give other mammal's milk is that babies still require the nutrients in milk until around 2-3 years, and most women aren't still nursing at that point. I'm sure you could give baby what they need through the rest of their diet, but cow's milk is easy and toddlers are picky.
    Thanks. Not sure if I plan on nursing past a year - we'll play it by ear. DH is lactose intolerant so we typically buy lactaid or soy. I'll speak to her pedi about the best options.

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"