April 2014 Moms

My SIL the "prophet"

Hello all, I am mainly a lurker on here and enjoy reading different posts/advice, but wanted to share what happened to me the other night with my SIL.

We were at my MIL's house having dinner and my SIL pulled me aside, saying she needed to speak to me alone.  We have always gotten along fine, very different views on a lot of things, but are able to look past those.  Anyway, she pulls me into a back bedroom and starts to cry.  Says that she knew I was going to have a girl and her name was going to be Brooke.  She also told me that she knows that this is going to be a hard pregnancy on me, that a lot is going to go really wrong, but in the end both of us will be ok, but it will be a hard recovery.  She apparently has claimed to be a prophet before, and just "knows" certain things.  And even though I have the common since to not believe her and this is where our views vary a lot, it still just creeps me out.

I didn't tell my DH, he would have completely gone off on her, since they don't have the best relationship as it is.  

Just wanted your thought and comments, or if anyone has had a similar experience with a crazy family member.    

Re: My SIL the "prophet"

• Loading the player...
  • I would believe none of that. But I roll my eyes at any type of that stuff. If she wants to be crazy, that's fine. It sucks for you though!
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • I wouldn't believe it, but it would still freak me out. I would ask her not to share any more of her "visions" with you.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• The woman is definitely crazy, I am supposed to have lunch with her next week, but think I will "have something come up".  Not like pregnant women have enough to worry about already...
  • Is Brooke a name you were considering?? Honestly, right or wrong, she shouldn't have told you anything especially that things will go wrong. Way to worry a pregnant woman :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• That is not cool of her. If she is a prophet and knows you'll be okay, why is she bringing this up? She may "see things" but she obviously doesn't have a lot of common sense

I haven't had any particularly weird family run ins but when I was in my young 20's I met someone who did seem to have a strange ability to see things in my life that nobody else knew. That was incredibly creepy and I had a hard time coming to terms with what she told me. Whether you believe in what you SIL is saying or not, focus on the positive that you'll get through whatever comes your way.
    image   image 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That would totally creep me out, even though I tend not to believe things like that!  
    Too bad you can't tell DH, could be a funny story in the future if it is actually correct - that would be even creepier.  My in-laws tend to stay completely out of my business which is weird too.  Sorry I can't be more helpful!

imageBabyFruit Tickerimage
    DD due April 2, 2014
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    DS born April 9, 2011

• I'm sorry.  Hopefully you can get the message across to her that crap like that is not tolerated... :( I can sympathize... my sister has been seeing a 'psychic' lately, and has been telling me all about the dark auras that are following her and causing her bad dreams and how they can enter the real world if you let them in, yadda yadda.  Well I made the mistake of one night telling her about a bad dream I had had (pregnancy dreams are so stupidly vivid) and she's gone on and on ever since then about how evil spirits are going to come to visit me and hurt the baby, and that I need to focus on the light and meditate and keep my baby safe.  I've told her on several occasions that I just don't want to hear any of it because I have a vivid imagination and I scare easily.  That doesn't stop her.  I actually had to walk out of our Thanksgiving dinner because she just could not stop.
  • That is creepy.  When my son was a baby, he had a big strawberry hemangioma on the side of his bald head that looked like a tumor.  We were told it would disappear over time.  One time at church a little old man came up to us and started crying and touched the hemangioma and said he just gave my son a healing blessing and that he would like to see my son in a few weeks.  I thought it was sort of crazy, sort of sweet.  A few weeks later it was still there of course.  He is three now and it's pretty much gone.
  • It isn't creepy for me but my whole family is just a little psychic. When we were 14 days pregnant I went to my parents house and my sister was there. I was dying to share the news with someone and all I said to my sister was that I needed to talk to her about something. She looked at me perfectly calm and said "I know, you're pregnant. I had a dream three days ago. It's a boy". About five minutes after I left the house my Dad looked at my mom and told her I was pregnant too and asked her if they should tell me or not. My mom told me this after we broke the news about a month later. My sister never said a word to them. I've had the same thing happen with a few of my pregnant girlfriends where I knew weeks before they told me when I haven't even seen them. It is kinda extreme for her to go all emotionally spastic on you. She could have just told you calmly and offered to be there for you if stuff goes wrong...in case you want her support. Then again, she might just be wanting some attention since your pregnancy is probably putting you in the family spotlight right now!

• That is creepy. I would be pissed that she said that.
  • Yes, I should have said we are having a girl and Brooke is one of the names we considered. She has 3 boys, so obviously she knows how stressful pregnancy can be. I think I will try my best to ignore the comment... and probably avoid her for a while haha. 
  • She's sounds like a BSCB. The next time she wants to talk to you alone I would tell her that I would prefer not to know my future and would instead like to take it as it comes.

No need to tell her she's full of it...she might have a psychological break or something and you don't want to be there for that.

\image  image

• Ha this sounds like a client I had. She said I would have a boy and that my sister would be very attached to him.. I am having twin girls ha and weird about my sister? She said she felt very strong about the child that was with me, haven't seen her since but I bet she would say something like she had a dream about twins or some made up stuff.. I wouldn't take it too personally and like you said may be best to avoid her for awhile... For your sake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"