November 2013 Moms

Ppd? *long)

Anyone else showing signs symptoms of ppd? I seem to stay angry all the time. Not at the baby, but at my SO and my 2 1/2 year old DD. I am not hurting myself or wanting to hurt anyone else, so it isnt that severe, but I feel as if im never happy anymore and that I have a serious lack of patience when it comes to my oldest child.

I have mood swings occassionally where im really sad, or angry. But I almost never feel happy and most of the time I feel pretty emotionless, like im just skating through one day into the next, not really living or enjoying anything.

I have my 4w checkup with my midwife this week, son I'm going to address it and see if we can get me on some kind of medication, because it just seems to be getting worse with time, not better.

In the mean time, im asking you all If youve been there before or are now? I feel extremely alone and im feeling like a failure of mom cause im not the happy go lucky person I used to be.

Im also breastfeeding, for anyone whose been there done that, and im scared that taking an antidepressant will affect the baby... any good resources for this? Ive looked on kellymom but im on mobile so I couldnt find what I needed exactly.

thanks ladies for getting this far!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ppd? *long)

• CarrieB.CarrieB. member
    edited November 2013
    You aren't alone! I had some PP anxiety/OCD with DD1 at around 9 mos when my supply dropped and she started sleeping through the night. It was hard bc I didn't know what it was for a long time.

Sending lots of hugs your way! I found that excercising, meditation and acupuncture helped a lot. Talk to your doctor as soon as you can. And feel comfortable discussing with your DH. That helps a lot too.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• I'm very sorry you are going through this. I commend you for recognizing that you may need help. You are anything but a failure- it takes a lot of courage to admit you may need help.

I had PP issues with DD1 and ended up going on Zoloft for a few months. It was BF safe and definitely helped. I started using it at 6w and wish I would have started sooner.

Definitely talk to your OB and don't be afraid to give yourself a break if possible. Hugs - please keep us updated.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I'm experiencing an issue with PPD now. Even though DH helps me immensely and I'm surrounded by friends and family I've been feeling isolated since we brought home the baby.

We're trying talk therapy for a couple weeks and then moving to Zoloft as well if necessary. My OB said it's perfectly safe to take while BF. I understand that it continues to get worse if it goes unaddressed, so I'm glad you'll be talking to your MW this week and I hope she's able to offer some guidance.

Good luck.

• babymama619babymama619 member
    edited December 2013
    Sorry you're feeling so miserable and lost. I gave a history of depression so my doc and I decided I'd start an antidepressant right away after birth. We reason it would be much harder to dig out rather than prevent it. I am taking zoloft and I'm exclusively BFing. According to my MFM that is the standard medication used for a BFing mother. I know several moms who have used it and their babies are fine. There is plenty if literature to support this as well, just google and I'm sure you'll find it.

Hopefully your midwife can get you on something ASAP since it sounds like it's just what you need. For me the rule of thumb has always been "can I experience the full range if emotions?" If you can't be happy, then no, and you need some help. Keep us posted and make sure you keep reaching out :)

Also know that an ssri, like zoloft, takes a few weeks to really kick in. IMO it's worth starting sooner than later.

• I actually had a major fog of PPD with DS, after I stopped EBF.

Now I'm noticing that while I'm actively engaging contact with family and friends, DH, DS &DD...I am feeling overwhelmed and exhausted by the daily needs too. I'm feeling stretched thin, like my house and to-do list is getting bigger and bigger I don't feel like a dent is being made. I feel I need to be everywhere, but I carefully pick and choose where I place myself.

In addition to that, DH and I are now quite sound sensitive too due to disrupted sleep, so now imagine how that is reflected in our rambunctious 4.5yo boy. He is wanting attention from us (whether good or bad) and if we don't take him out to get out that energy or spend 30min a day one-on-one...he will act out/sass us to get attention, even though its negative.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our LO is only a couple of days old at this point but I'm positive I have a terrible case of the baby blues and I'm trying to watch it as well, hoping it isn't PPD.  Like the others say I commend you on getting help and reaching out! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"