April 2014 Moms
Options

Telling my mom she can't help?

How do I tell my mother that I don't want her to be around when I give birth? She is really controlling over my life still, even though I moved out a year ago. I don't want her to be allowed to visit till I'm ready to let her in. Due to her drug use and such. How do I tell her she can't be around without causing a big problem?

Re: Telling my mom she can't help?

• Options
    Tell her it's hospital policy to only allow one (or however many you're planning to have) person in with you, and that slot is taken. Most hospitals will back you up on whatever limit you set.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The hospital staff will definitely back you up, too. They will only let in people you say are ok, and they will be tactful about it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Rrrrrachel. My family is not controlling but they will come and never leave. So I am  not calling anyone till after I have the baby.  in the event something bad happens I have a aunt in the same apartment complex that can come over. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    You can't avoid the tough discussion forever. Maybe now is time to set and reinforce some boundaries. It will only get harder if she tries to guilt you later into allowing her free reign in your baby's life. I agree with the other ladies on not telling her about your labor. Also, don't post anything on social networking if there's a possibility it will get back to her
  • Options

Don't call her when you go into labor. Don't call her until you're ready for her to come.

Yeah and if she has a problem with that you can just say the baby came so fast and the excitement of it all gave you no time to be making phone calls.
  • Options
    Some people have a tough time being blunt but it is seriously easier that way. I've been very blunt in telling my family my opinions, this way it isn't setting them up for disappointment. My mom mentioned something passive aggressively about being in the delivery room if SO wasn't there and I just said no, that wasn't an option. 
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Options
    BTW, I am with you on this. I don't want anyone but my hubby at the hospital. I don't want anyone hovering or popping into the room or feeling someone is timing me (not what you are worried about necessarily but...). They can come visit when I am comfortably settled at home and ready to see people.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for advice! It helps a lot. :)
  • Options
    HNRomance said:

BTW, I am with you on this. I don't want anyone but my hubby at the hospital. I don't want anyone hovering or popping into the room or feeling someone is timing me (not what you are worried about necessarily but...). They can come visit when I am comfortably settled at home and ready to see people.

I completely agree. I'm worried (but will make it clear when the time comes) that my house will be filled with family when we leave the hospital. My DH's family is like that and did it to my SIL after she had our niece last October. I was so uncomfortable going there but it's just what they do. I, like like you @shelle113, need to make my boundaries and wants perfectly clear!
  • Options
    Just don't tell her/call her until you are ready.

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"