1st Trimester

Lump on umbilical cord and blood clot?!

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with lumps on the cord or blood clots in the sac? I got my first US last thursday where they determined i was 10 weeks 6 days. I got a call from my dr. last night (while shopping of course) and she told me there were 2 things they noticed on the US that were unusual but not worrisome yet...which of course got me worrying right away! The first was a blood clot behind the baby's head, she said they are not even a little worried about that because it is common, but I AM worried about it! And the other thing, that scares me even more, is there is a lump at the base of the umbilical cord.She said the lump is normal at 10 weeks, but it looked bigger then it should at almost 11 weeks. From everything i have read on it, it could either be the intestines are growing outside the belly, which would require surgery immediately after birth, or worse, they are growing inside the cord and the mortality rate for that is pretty high! OR, preferably, they were a little off on my due date and i am not as far as originally thought and the lump is normal for the age. My last period was about 7 months ago, so the only way they could determine my due date was by measuring the baby during the US.  I have another US thursday, and i am trying not to get myself all worked up. So i need some reassurance. Has anyone else experienced either of these things?

Re: Lump on umbilical cord and blood clot?!

• I haven't had experience with either of these, but your OB not being concerned about it is a good sign. It can be alarming when you read up on all the "could be" articles and such, so it's a good idea to stay away from Dr. Google, especially while waiting. Best wishes and hope you get some answers on Thursday.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • I don't know about the cord thing but I hear blood clots are super common. I had one at my ultrasound. My doctor wasn't the slightest bit worried. It's from implantation. She said I could spot a little but I may not. It's 3 weeks later & I haven't spotted at all. Good luck on the other stuff - but don't worry about that clot. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • cakergirlcakergirl member
    edited December 2013
    If it makes you feel any better (it won't) ALL babies' intestines grow on the outside for a brief period, then they go back inside for the rest of the pregnancy. In rare (RARE!) cases it doesn't happen properly and the remain on the outside and require surgery shortly after birth. Not comforting, I know, But yes, you me and everyone else's intestines were on the outside at one point and went back in like normal and we all (mostly) turned out ok! P.s. Stop consulting Dr Google. She is not your friend, nor is she board certified, nor has she gone to med school or residency training. Lol. Easier said than done not to worry, but reading this stuff won't help! It will just get you worked up about all the things that can but probably won't go wrong.
  • Could the lump be an umbilical cord cyst? I had one of those at my 9 week u/s and my doc wasn't concerned at all and said it'd likely be gone by the time I go back at 13 weeks. Of course I googled too and there is always the best case scenarios and scary worst case scenarios out there . . . I'd trust your doctor and not panic, though. If they had reason to believe it was truly worrisome, you'd likely be referred to a perinatologist for a second opinion. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"