April 2014 Moms

STM: Sibling gifts?

Is anyone doing a gift to #1 from the new baby?  And vice versa?  
First we had you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

Re: STM: Sibling gifts?

• Yes- not sure what though. Probably a car. We also got a Christmas present from 2 to 1
  • Yes, nothing magnificent, but something for DS1 to open from DS2 when he comes to meet his little brother for the first time at the hospital.

• Loading the player...
  • Oh I like what @thirdtimemomma said- maybe I'll make cupcakes ahead of time for baby's birthday so dd can have one to celebrate.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • ^^ very good idea!!  my kiddo would appreciate something with frosting on it MUCH more than another toy :)

we might incorporate something under the tree for my son that is marked as being from his baby sister...  that could be cute.
  • The hospital had a big brother cake delivered to the hospital room for my 5 yr old. We sang happy big brother day instead of happy birthday day. He loved it and the cake was really good!
    This is a FABULOUS idea!!!!!
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• I don't think DD will be quite old enough to understand what is going on (19-20 months adjusted age) but I will likely still get her a big sister gift.
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think my 5 year old would know that a baby didn't buy her a gift, lol. I feel like this is somewhat like the issue that comes up when one child has a birthday and the other does not. People start worrying about trying to get gifts for the non-birthday child. Um, no. Children need to learn that it's not always about THEM. And I'm not going to downplay the birth as to attempt to avoid jealousy issues. If they get jealous, that's an issue that they needed to work through and a learning opportunity for the child regardless of how much it stinks for us as the parent.
    I will encourage my kids to pick out a gift for the new baby because it's the baby's birthday and they should be celebrating that along with the rest of the family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Love the cake idea! DD will just be 2 when this LO is born so I'm not sure if she'll understand a gift from her new brother, but we'll try to do something at the hospital to make her feel special too.

She is getting the board book "I'm Getting a Baby Brother" in her stocking for Christmas. She's also getting a baby doll in hopes she'll like having her own baby to feed and change when we're doing those things with DS...not sure how well that will go over though since she really hasn't been impressed with dolls thus far (much prefers animals).
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Nothing for Christmas but we will have a small gift for SS from baby when baby is born. My parents did this for us and I thought it was very special. Nothing big, but just a reminder that new baby loves their big bro/sis
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When DS was born, we got DD a gift from him-a couple books, non-baby related. It gave her something to do when visiting us in the hospital.
  • Ours are older, they will be 6 and almost 8 years old. We're doing big brother and big sister bags, probably a disposable camera so they can take their own pics of her, etc., matching bow for DD and baby, and I have no idea what else yet!

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We did that when our second was born and we plan on doing it again this time. We let my oldest pick out the present for the baby. It helped her to feel included. We bought the gift our oldest really wanted and told her it was from the baby.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have made it a habit to get a small gift for the "bigs" whenever I get something for a new baby. I do it at showers and when bringing food to families who just had a new baby. I think it's a fun way to celebrate. I usually get a book or a small toy, nothing elaborate, and I include a note about how exciting it is that they are a big brother/sister- just something to remind them that they are still special.

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • We are planning on it...although I love the cake idea. I was also thinking of taking DS to pick something out to give to the new baby when he visits at the hospital, so they could 'exchange gifts' but I'm not really sure if he'd understand that. He is also getting a 'My New Baby' book for Christmas that will be from the new baby, but again I doubt he'll understand that it's "from" the baby. My mom also bought a copy of the Little Critter book 'Me and My Little Brother' to give to him when she comes to visit the new baby. It's easy for a toddler used to being an only child to feel left out, so I think it can be a good way to ease the transition. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I plan on letting DS pick out something small for the baby, and I'm planning on putting together a big brother bag for him. It's not meant to be a present from the baby so much as a bag of goodies to help keep him occupied/entertained when my parents bring him up to visit us at the hospital. I don't think he will be content hanging out there as long as they'd like to without some new things to occupy him. The cake idea is cute, and I may do that, too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
    imageimage

• This is a great idea! I will do this too, my daughter will love making something for her new little sister!
  • My son is very excited about the new baby. He loves to pick things out for "his" baby. I think having him get the baby a special blanket that we can wrap it up in will do the trick. I agree that it is a day to celebrate the baby. My son won't get gifts on the baby's birthday normally so he doesn't need one now. I am all about keeping him involved but I want to teach him to give to the new baby.
  • My DD (8) still talks about and plays with the baby she got when DS (6) was born. She didn't get it from him; it was a gift from us when we got home. A "welcome to big sister-hood" present. I'm shocked she still brings it up, to be honest. She was only 20 months when he was born. The doll's name, after all these years, still remains her brother's name. DS has asked if he'll receive a big brother present, though I think he's more worried about having 2 sisters than actually being a big brother. Hahahaha.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I am packing DS1 a new doll and a small gift in my hospital bag, likely a truck or a book. I'll give them to him when he comes to visit. He's very imaginative and I think he will like having his own new baby. He's two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"