September 2012 Moms

Eczema, ringworm, dry skin?

DD has sensitive skin and in between the dry, cold, air and a non-stop runny nose, her cheeks are red and irritated.  I have tried aquaphor, coconut oil and J&J lotion but it never seems to go away.  Despite applying it 3 - 4x per day.  It improved the most after using Aquaphor, but never went away.  See pic below.  Now I'm thinking that she might have eczema or ringworm.  Does anyone have experience with either?  I am leaning more towards eczema and am wondering what ointment works best to treat it.  DD has her 15 month appt on 12/3 so I will ask the pedi about it at that time as well.  

Re: Eczema, ringworm, dry skin?

• My guess would be eczema DS has it and it's like little spots in some areas. I put Aquaphor on it overnight and it works pretty well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Is it anywhere else?  Without seeing it up close, I'd guess eczema.  Most common on the face, elbows, and backs of the knees. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My guess is eczema as well. I ended up with it after having DS but only on my right hand ring finger...weird right? I got some amazing cream from Walgreens that the derm recommended, Cerave. It's awesome! I use it on DS too for dry skin. It's thick so you don't need much! GL!

• She only has it on her cheeks.  She does have small patches of dry skin on other parts of her body (behind her arm, on her knee), but they aren't red.  @kdsmith43 I started off by using plain Vaseline and then switched to Aquaphor but it never got better so I think I need to up the ante, maybe something specifically for eczema.  @pokedot, I'm gonna try the CeraVe, thanks for the input!

• I second CeraVe. DD has super sensitive/dry skin and we use that. Seems to work well and doesn't irritate further. Make sure you get the cream not the lotion.
  • Eczema or something associated with dry skin.  I've had it that looked exactly like ringworm before.  After a while my Derm did a biopsy and it was just unexplained dry skin.  I use hydrocortisone ointment on A when she gets super dry spots.  Pedi approved. 
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • DD had eczema that looked like ringworm on her back... pedi said the only way to tell for sure which it is sometimes is to do a culture, though I agree with PP that it looks more like eczema to me in your DD's case.  Pedi recommended hydrocortisone cream for DD's, and it cleared up, though now that it's winter and the heats back on, I think it's trying to creep back up.
  • For Keagan's eczema this nis how I treat it: only bathe every couple of days. Put some warm water in the tub then when I do the soap/ shampoo (we use aquaphor ) I open the drain so the soap doesn't sit in the tub. I don't dry him completely when I get him out and I use the cetaphil body butter stuff ( I get it at BJ's) all over his whole body. I also have an aquaphor spot treatment that is like vaseline that I use on the really bad spots. We haven't needed to get the steroid cream yet, but I have found it gets worse and worse every year :(

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • DD1 has severe eczema. We use Cera Ve products, and when bad enough she has a prescription loquoid cream.
  • A had really dry skin in patches and her pedi said it was winter eczema. She gave us a steroid cream which helped, but I wasn't really confortable wih it. A friend recommended the Aveeno baby eczema lotion with oatmeal which has been amazing. I feel more comfortable really slathering it on. Her skin was pretty bad and looks great now.
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • I used it on her face as well.
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • Pokedot said:

My guess is eczema as well. I ended up with it after having DS but only on my right hand ring finger...weird right? I got some amazing cream from Walgreens that the derm recommended, Cerave. It's awesome! I use it on DS too for dry skin. It's thick so you don't need much! GL!

I've been wondering what I have on my ring finger. I've had it since spring. Thanks! Now I have to go get some cream and try it.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • For Keagan's eczema this nis how I treat it: only bathe every couple of days. Put some warm water in the tub then when I do the soap/ shampoo (we use aquaphor ) I open the drain so the soap doesn't sit in the tub. I don't dry him completely when I get him out and I use the cetaphil body butter stuff ( I get it at BJ's) all over his whole body. I also have an aquaphor spot treatment that is like vaseline that I use on the really bad spots. We haven't needed to get the steroid cream yet, but I have found it gets worse and worse every year :(

I've always been told and read that you should bathe them every night when they have eczema, then lotion up right after. The moisture helps the lotion absorb. That's what we do, but we just don't use soap with every bath.

Our pedi also recommended bleach baths. I just add 1/4 c of bleach to his bath. It's safe if he gets it In his mouth or eye, etc because it's so diluted. It's like taking him in a swimming pool. That has really helped! I use that and no bubble soap.

• Oh and I like Eucerin better than aquaphor for bad ezcema.

• tonir319 said:

For Keagan's eczema this nis how I treat it: only bathe every couple of days. Put some warm water in the tub then when I do the soap/ shampoo (we use aquaphor ) I open the drain so the soap doesn't sit in the tub. I don't dry him completely when I get him out and I use the cetaphil body butter stuff ( I get it at BJ's) all over his whole body. I also have an aquaphor spot treatment that is like vaseline that I use on the really bad spots. We haven't needed to get the steroid cream yet, but I have found it gets worse and worse every year :(

I've always been told and read that you should bathe them every night when they have eczema, then lotion up right after. The moisture helps the lotion absorb. That's what we do, but we just don't use soap with every bath.

Our pedi also recommended bleach baths. I just add 1/4 c of bleach to his bath. It's safe if he gets it In his mouth or eye, etc because it's so diluted. It's like taking him in a swimming pool. That has really helped! I use that and no bubble soap.
    I have been reading recently to bathe them more frequently. When Keagan first got his diagnosis that wasn't the case. I haven't really tried bathing him more regularly though.
    I thought Eucarin made aquaphor?

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • tonir319 said:

For Keagan's eczema this nis how I treat it: only bathe every couple of days. Put some warm water in the tub then when I do the soap/ shampoo (we use aquaphor ) I open the drain so the soap doesn't sit in the tub. I don't dry him completely when I get him out and I use the cetaphil body butter stuff ( I get it at BJ's) all over his whole body. I also have an aquaphor spot treatment that is like vaseline that I use on the really bad spots. We haven't needed to get the steroid cream yet, but I have found it gets worse and worse every year :(

I have been reading recently to bathe them more frequently. When Keagan first got his diagnosis that wasn't the case. I haven't really tried bathing him more regularly though.
    I thought Eucarin made aquaphor?
    They might make it, I'm not sure. We use the Eucerin really heavy cream though that comes in a tub.

• jayja2007 said:
    My guess is eczema as well. I ended up with it after having DS but only on my right hand ring finger...weird right? I got some amazing cream from Walgreens that the derm recommended, Cerave. It's awesome! I use it on DS too for dry skin. It's thick so you don't need much! GL!
    I've been wondering what I have on my ring finger. I've had it since spring. Thanks! Now I have to go get some cream and try it.
    @jayja2007 Sorry I just saw this! I ended up with it on my right ring finger and it hurt like hell. When I had to bring B to the derm I asked him (which is where the CeraVe was recommended.) He said that dry air, exposure to water (doing dishes, baths etc.) and contact with diapers, creams and wipes all can contribute to it. Mine hasn't gone away and only flares up when it's dry out like now or when I've done too many dishes ;P The CeraVe helps a ton. I get mine from Walgreens and get the jar of cream not the lotion! Hope it helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"