December 2012 Moms

Talk to me about walking

Okay, so DD took her first step on her ten-month-birthday. A little over a week later she started taking two successive steps now and then. Now, at 11.5 months, she is still only taking a few steps successively (the most I have seen is four but typically it's two). Anyone else's kid taking this long from the start of steps to begin full-on walking? 

I know I probably have nothing to worry about, but she hit all of her other milestones way ahead of time and everyone under the sun--our pediatrician included--proclaimed that she would be walking at ten months. (Not that I expected that exactly, but I did figure she would get the hang of walking faster than she has.) It seems like she's stalled out or something... Babies that were previously behind her in development seem to be passing her up left and right in this arena. 

I'm sure I'm just paranoid but I would be interested to hear other experiences! 
Me (25) DH (33) BFP #1 on cycle #4: 2/7/12 - M/C 2/26/12 BFP #2 on cycle #1: 4/3/12 - DD born 12/18/12

Re: Talk to me about walking

• I think part of the reason my daughter moved so quickly from taking her first step to walking all over the place is that she wanted to be like the kids at daycare. She took her first steps at the beginning of the month and then within a week she was taking 6 or so very frequently and now she is walking all over the place. She still falls but she can walk pretty far. I think it's a personality thing in terms of how badly they walk to be upright. I don't think it's that your LO can't figure it out, I think it is just not what she really wants to do right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• edited November 2013
    @JessAnnJ It's funny that you mention this because we previously lived in an urban setting and I took her to an indoor play place with lots of toddlers daily. She advanced so quickly around all of those other kids! I take her to play groups as they are available in our new community, but I don't think it's consistent enough...
    Me (25) DH (33) BFP #1 on cycle #4: 2/7/12 - M/C 2/26/12 BFP #2 on cycle #1: 4/3/12 - DD born 12/18/12
  • Loading the player...
  • DD isn't walking at all yet, and she'll be 1 on Thursday. DS was walking at 9.5 months and running at 10. A friend's DD only took a few steps for about 3 months. The day they took her to the doc to talk about it, their DD ran away from the pedi all the way down the hall! Not to sound cliche, but she'll get there.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • dee12807 said:
    DD isn't walking at all yet, and she'll be 1 on Thursday. DS was walking at 9.5 months and running at 10. A friend's DD only took a few steps for about 3 months. The day they took her to the doc to talk about it, their DD ran away from the pedi all the way down the hall! Not to sound cliche, but she'll get there.
    Too funny about your friend's DD and the pediatrician appointment! Thanks for sharing. 
  • DD was pulling to stand before 8 months, and was cruising soon after... She'll be one on Monday, but still is only walking 5-10 steps at a time.  She knows that crawling is faster right now, so she chooses that for the most part.  I'm not pushing her, I like that she's still *kind of* a baby :)
  • DS pulled to stand and cruised around 7.5 months and took his first steps toward the end of 8mo (like a week shy of 9).  He gradually became competent throughout 9 months and was running, turning, etc by the end.  It was during 10 months that he must have become satisfied with his ability because he finally started learning to do other things, like wave, open things, etc.

Apparently DH was cruising super early but didn't walk until 13 months because he was able to get to everything he wanted without walking and was the first, so there weren't any other small people walking around him. 
  • kjsmith9 said:
    DD was pulling to stand before 8 months, and was cruising soon after... She'll be one on Monday, but still is only walking 5-10 steps at a time.  She knows that crawling is faster right now, so she chooses that for the most part.  I'm not pushing her, I like that she's still *kind of* a baby :)
    My DD seems to be all about the crawling because it's faster as well. 
  • Both LOs (just turned 11 months) have taken several single steps and a few two-steps, but don't really go farther than that. They cruise around like crazy, but I also think they're not as motivated since they don't have any older siblings or cousins to chase. I'm not in a hurry, though, as they're hard enough to chase after just crawling and cruising!
  • DD crushed furniture from 8-11 months! Liked she just decided that was all she ever wanted to do. Lol. Then 11 months took a couple steps, then 11.5 stood in the middle of room and initiated walking. Then now at 12m (in 2 days) she walks everywhere. So don't worry about them pausing at a certain stage of the walking process. It's their comfort level versus ability at that point. DD just needed to feel confident first.

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DS2 took his first real steps last month. Then he refused to do it again for a few weeks, as in I would try to stand him in front of me and he would bend his legs up behind him. I didn't push it and he just out of nowhere decided to start walking back and forth from me to DH yesterday. When she's ready, she'll just do it and before you know it, you'll be chasing her around the house.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• DD3 will be 1 on the 10th and she is not walking  on her own yet- she walks great behind her push toys, cruising furiture and holding hands, but she has yet to take an independent step. DD2, on the other hand, started running at 10 months. They walk when their ready- I know it's hard, but try not to compare or worry :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"