January 2014 Moms

A little hope from some STM's for a FTM?

My water broke at 29 weeks and I am in the hospital on bed rest.

I was wondering if there are any moms who had problems with a pregnancy or premature labor and then went on to have a "normal" pregnancy with their next child?

I know I'm thinking way ahead but this is my first and I'd love some hope it can be different next time!
Married 3/5/11
BFP: 6/19/12, D&C 8/23/12
BFP: 5/17/13, Born 12/16/2013
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
January Siggy Challenge: When I am done breastfeeding...

Re: A little hope from some STM's for a FTM?

• It wasn't me and the situation is slightly different but I will try to give you some hope.  My friend had a really hard time getting pregnant with her first.  She finally did and then gave birth 6 weeks early in a very dramatic (read traumatic) c-section due to HELP syndrome.   She wanted to have another baby and really wanted to have a vbac with her second given her very negative c-section experience. 

She wound up getting pregnant very quickly with her second and carried full term (actually a few days past 40 weeks) without getting HELP syndrome again (which all her doctors kept warning her to expect again).  Though she didnt get her vbac (labored over 48 hours and her cervix actually started closing back up - was a 6 and then back down to a 4) she had a much better experience and it was in no way a traumatic of a c-section as her first.  Now she plans to try for her third when this one is 1 1/2 or 2 years old. 

moral of story - each pregnancy is different and just becasue something happens with this one does not necessarily mean it will happen in future pregnancies. 

• It happened for a friend of mine- her first was born at 30 weeks (and he's an awesome 5 year old now!) and she just went full term to deliver a second healthy baby boy without any pregnancy complications.  I don't have all the details and this is second hand but hope it helps!
  • I had a friend who's son was born super premature, I want to say 25 weeks, but it might have been 27 or 28. Her 2nd pregnancy was normal and went to term.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • I have a few friends who have had pregnancy complications in one pregnancy but not others. 

My one friend had a good first pregnancy, had her water break at about 27 weeks with #2 and was on bedrest until they delivered at 35 weeks via emergency C-section, and then had another normal, full-term, vaginal birth pregnancy 1 1/2 years later.

Another friend had what they now think was whooping cough during her first pregnancy and it brought about a lot of complications.  She ended up with pre-eclampsia and HELLP at 37.5 weeks, delivered via emergency C-section.  She just had her second two weeks ago.  She was considered high risk but still had a normal pregnancy and had a vaginal birth at 39 w 5 d, not induced and with no complications.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• This is actually really helpful to read these stories so thank you for sharing them with me.
    Married 3/5/11
    BFP: 6/19/12, D&C 8/23/12
    BFP: 5/17/13, Born 12/16/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
    January Siggy Challenge: When I am done breastfeeding...

• Yeah these stories do make me feel a little better. I know I had pProm and the docs assured me that with my next pregnancy, I will be given meds to keep it from happening again.
  • So I can give you a sort of feel better story. The first time around I had contractions/severe upper abdominal pain starting at 29 weeks. Went to L&D and I had a + fetal fibronectin test and what they assumed was a UTI- got antibiotics in the hospital but they told me it wasn't a UTI, they figured the pain was just positioning of the baby or something and it calmed down. I was sent home on bedrest and given the steroid shots for baby's lungs. Also, because of this they did a growth ultrasound to see baby's position and how big she was and found she was measuring very large in the abdomen- automatically diagnosed me with GD and put me on a diet. The next 2 weeks I was back in the hospital twice with severe pain and no one ever had any good explanation for- I think in the end they called it muscle strain in the end. Continued to be on bedrest for another week but because no further pain or contracting my doctor allowed me to go back to work. I worked for another 4 ish weeks and was definitely having contractions frequently by the end of the day(12 hour shift work as a RN). I also had heart palpitations and was in the ED around 19 weeks for that- wound up resolving itself and everything was good. 

My water broke unexpectedly in the middle of the night at 36 weeks. DD was born 12 hours later with an uncomplicated delivery and was perfectly healthy, 6 lbs 12 oz. No blood sugar issues. 

So this pregnancy they started off calling me "high risk" because DD delivered early and this pregnancy was within a year of the first one (she was 6 months when I got my BFP). As of now my doctor is not calling me "high risk" and I'm having BH contractions frequently/on and off but so far no excruciating pain or hospitalizations. No GD this time. I guess we'll see how the rest of the pregnancy goes, I'm semi expecting this little girl to make an earlier appearance than her big sister did but I guess we'll see! I'm also a SAHM this time and not working on my feet or working night shift so I'm sure that has bade a difference but who knows! Sorry this was really long! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"