Parenting

Picky eating

When did your picky eater start their bad habits?

I've always believed baby should more or less eat what we're eating. I try to cook baby friendly and will take a portion out before seasoning if I think it's too much for DS.

DS1 has gotten ridiculously picky (but I think it's all a power act even though I try hard not to make a big deal out of it, but he eats everything DCP serves.)

Anyway 8 month old DS2 has been like a garbage disposal. He eats everything I put in front of him. This morning I gave him strawberries (which he's gobbled up in the past) and DS1 and I were eating bagels and strawberries. DS2 wanted bagel and started reaching and whining and refused to eat strawberries.

Is he starting this picky nonsense already?! With DS1, I serve what I serve, he either eats or he doesn't. Is it too soon to start that with DS2? I don't want to starve my baby, but clearly I screwed up the healthy eating habits with DS1 and I don't want to repeat my mistakes.

Re: Picky eating

• Nechie122Nechie122 member
    edited November 2013
    I agree with PP and would also say your expectations are more than a little unreasonable. Picky eating is a normal developmental stage -- all kids go through it to various degrees. It's not a "bad habit" or a "power struggle." You didn't "screw up." Your second DS probably won't be the great eater he is forever, and your first will probably come around too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for answering! I know it's just a phase with DS1, but it's lasted a really long time. And it's crazy, I serve 1 meal, he eats or he doesn't - he almost always just skips dinner.

I know I'm probably being crazy, but it's so frustrating with DS1, I feel like I'm failing him nutritionally.

I feel like the pickiness happened gradually with DS1. I think he got a taste of yummy carbs and just decided he could always hold out for them. I'm just afraid to start the same struggle all over again.
  • Loading the player...
  • At 8 months most of his calories should be from milk or formula anyway, so I wouldn't worry about him not eating something. Offer a variety, and if he doesn't want something don't stress or make it a battle. Our pedi said the biggest thing is not to reinforce bad habits by supplementing with favorites - "oh, she didn't eat enough so I'll give her mac and cheese."
    imageimage
  • Besides everything everyone else says...I don't know how old your ds1 is, but when my dd (2.5) eats everything at daycare, she isn't very hungry for dinner at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"