December 2013 Moms
Options

What do you think re: induction scheduled

thesportsgalthesportsgal member
edited November 2013 in December 2013 Moms

So today, I was just expecting a membrane sweep and a "wait and see what happens".  Instead, I ended up with a NST that took forever to get baby girls heart rate to fluctuate and a scheduled induction next Tuesday. 

Of course I trust my doctor, but I don't know what to think.  DON'T YELL AT ME BOARD OF INTERNET STRANGERS!!  Just kidding ;).

But really, I don't know if it's because I was so surprised or what but needless to say, I'm not handling it very well and have been ugly crying since.  I guess I thought that inductions would be at 41 or 42 weeks, not 40.  She said there's nothing wrong with scheduling an induction at 40 weeks and she wouldn't schedule one any earlier.  And even waiting it out could ultimately end up as an induction anyways.  For 3 weeks baby girl has been head down, ready to go and they estimated her at over 6.2 lbs, even though I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Soooo...I wrote this out and realized I don't know my question, lol.  I guess what would you do?  Leave it scheduled or wait and see?  I should start a poll: Go with your doctor or follow The Ladies of The Bump? ;)  

Re: What do you think re: induction scheduled

• Options
    Yep I hear you..that is a tough call. I think it's fine, go with what your doctor says. If you really don't feel good about it though, then tell your OB..gotta go with your gut here. 

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah they told me today they are going to induce at 39 weeks because of my bp issues. Not thrilled-but I trust my Dr.

I have been really lucky and don't have any issues but I would definitley agree if there was a BP issue! 

• Options
    dbucksdbucks member
    edited November 2013
    I would go with what my dr said, but there is also nothing wrong with voicing your concerns and waiting another week. Whatever would make you most comfortable.
  • Options
    esf60esf60 member
    edited November 2013
    Well I'll tell you what I'm doing, since I'm in the same situation, due Sunday. Originally, the dr. wanted to induce on Monday night, have baby on Tuesday, but because of my measly 1 cm dilation (as you know), it seems premature. Instead of inducing Monday, I'm going in Monday for another check and a membrane sweep if baby doesn't come by then. If STILL nothing's happened by next Thursday, induction it is. My fear is we'll induce before my body's ready &I it'll just end up being a c-section anyway. I say trust yourself & trust your body.

• Options
    I agree if baby is doing fine overall, as are you, you should state your case to watch and wait it out a while if that's what you'd prefer. But I think you can also trust your doctor's judgement, especially since they are not trying to induce you before 40 weeks. I have a 2-vessel cord this pregnancy which initially may have lead to an induction, but baby girl is doing just fine so there has been no talk of it as of yet. I would be totally fine if they still want to induce come 40 weeks though. I was supposed to be induced with DD due to another cord issue, but we didn't schedule that till 40w 3d and I went into labor on my own the night before. Hopefully you'll go on your own and it'll be a moot point!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited November 2013
    Go with your doctor.  I'd ask about what your bishop score is, and how likely the induction is to take, but if you have a good bishop score by 40 weeks, definitely go with your doc.

ETA: Bishop score calculator:

https://www.babymed.com/bishop-score-induction-calculator
  • Options

@esf60 Thank you.  I wasn't sure if you talked about induction at your appointment or not but I'm sorry we're in the same boat.  And yes, just ending up with a C section anyways is my fear too (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

• Options
    Thanks gals.  It's making me feel better knowing it's not "crazy" to be induced during the 40th week!

• Options
    @ColeRose No reason, really, other than being "ready" I guess.  She didn't say anything to me if she was concerned about babies size or something else.  I do know that she only lets patients go to 41 - I'm not sure of the reason other than the placenta starting to deteriorate.  But I didn't think that was until 42 weeks. 

• Options
    My doc wants to induce Tuesday as well and I trust his judgement and I'm going with it. So basically do whatever your comfortable with

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2013

@ColeRose I'm hoping it was just the surprise of it and tomorrow will be a better day ;).  Although now I can spend the next week reading scary induction stories.

@ansleyturner Thanks - it helps to know there are others in the same boat, especially after all the new babies the past few days! 

• Options

@ColeRose No reason, really, other than being "ready" I guess.  She didn't say anything to me if she was concerned about babies size or something else.  I do know that she only lets patients go to 41 - I'm not sure of the reason other than the placenta starting to deteriorate.  But I didn't think that was until 42 weeks. 

Ugh!!! Being 40 weeks is not a reason to induce! If you want to have the baby out at 40 weeks great, do it, but please, please, please if it's not what you want than tell your doctor. Like Cole said advocate for yourself and don't just "trust" your doctor.

• Options
    @cboyington Yes, I will definitely do some thinking before Tuesday.  I have a morning appointment and the induction isn't scheduled until the evening so we'll have another chance to discuss. 

• Options

@cboyington Yes, I will definitely do some thinking before Tuesday.  I have a morning appointment and the induction isn't scheduled until the evening so we'll have another chance to discuss. 

Good to hear. No more ugly crying. :)
  • Options

@melisx33 Thanks.  One of my friends was due on the 14th, induced on the 21st and ended up with a C section on the 23rd.  So sometimes it can seem like damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Basically, we just need a crystal ball....

And I know of ONE baby born on their due date - my husband was born on his due date, right at 12:01...what a nerd ;).

• Options
    @thesportsgal Yes, we discussed it. And I agreed to the Monday induction. But I felt weird about it. I called back today and asked if we could modify the plan to what I mentioned above. I feel much better about it, and the doc is fine with it too. You definitely have to advocate for yourself and go with your instincts on this one. There's absolutely nothing wrong with c-section and if I needed one I'd have one in a heartbeat. I'm just worried about being in labor for 24 hours, not progressing at all & needing one in the end.

• Options
    Loolaide said:That's weird.  Not anything having to do with the nst?  I'd ask for clarification on why she wants to induce.  If there's a medical reason, I'd do it.  If there isn't, it's up to you.
    Exactly this. And I agree with the person who said to check your Bishop score. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @loolaide The NST started out to see if I was having contractions (which I am, about 8 an hour) and led to being hooked up longer since her heart rate took so long to fluctuate. So everything looked okay in the end, as far as I know.

I will definitely put some thought into this before Tuesday, thanks for the responses.

• Options

Some ppl on this board immediately start flailing when they see or hear the word induce. Ignore them. Doc says it is fine, and you feel it is fine... Go for it. The fact that LO is apparently running short on space, and perhaps deterioration of the placenta may be slowing her down. Trust your doc. I don't see an inducement, even for convenience, to be any worse than a mom who schedules a second c/s ONLY because she had one last time.

No one was criticizing her so no need to start with your insults. We were simply curious as to why. Despite what people want to believe a lot of doctors will just induce for convenience. Is it the end of the world? No. But if a mamma to be isn't 100% on board with it than she should be asking questions and not just agreeing to it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Some ppl on this board immediately start flailing when they see or hear the word induce. Ignore them. Doc says it is fine, and you feel it is fine... Go for it

Well, I asked for people's opinions so it would be rude of me to ignore them....

I don't think baby is running out of room, since I'm still measuring small, so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

ETA And yes, @cboyington, no one was critical. I think it starts a good discussion and can maybe help the later December moms.

• Options
    @thesportsgal FYI I was induced with my son at 41weeks. I actually insisted they schedule it prior to going past my due date. I had severe pitting edema in my legs and feet and was beyond miserable. I just knew that he wasn't going to come on his own. I am not against inducing and really was just curious as to why. A lot of ladies on the board are posting about being induced before their due dates and it just seems odd to me. Especially if it is before the due date. It bothers me more that all these doctors are so willing to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"