February 2014 Moms
Options

maternity photo shoots, who's NOT doing them?

So, when I first got pg, I reached out to a photographer because I wanted to do some cool photos once i had my nice round bump. 

Fast forward to my feeling fat, bloated and tons of weight gain and im just like.. uh no. My mom seems to think that I'll really regret not doing this (although I did not do it with either of my 2 older boys and never did "regret it"

Anyone else with me here? I just feel gross and i dont want to put in photo form to be reminded of how uncomfortable with my body I feel now to look back in the future and be like.. uggg 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: maternity photo shoots, who's NOT doing them?

• Options
    SuzyQq02SuzyQq02 member
    edited November 2013
    I'm not. I don't want to do them alone and there's no way in Hell my picture taking hating husband will get in them with me. we'll have snap shots from the holidays and shower and that's good enough for me.

That said, I'm trying to figure out how to convince MH to spend a pretty hefty sum on newborn photos because I desperately want to make pretty birth announcements. so I'm also saving up my photo and financial goodwill for that conversation. ;-)
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • Options
    Me...  I feel gross and pale.  I would rather wait until she gets here to spend the money on photos.  That's what I did with my two older girls.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had them planned for last Friday and had to cancel my appointment because something came up for work. My photographer is booked up until the second week in January. I'm thinking about cancelling. I really wanted to do them because I did them with DD, but now I'm thinking I'm going to be too big, too tired, and I would rather spend that money on the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My sister is a photographer- so I'm sure she'll take a few pics of us here and there, but I wouldn't pay for them either. I'd rather save the money til there can be a cute baby in the picture :) I doubt people use them much after the baby is born. I'd just have a friend take some! 

• Options
    I'm not doing them. I feel te same way as you. I know we're all growing beautiful babies on the inside, but on the outside I feel fat and gross. I really don't need photos to remind me of this. Besides, with the holidays coming up I figure I'll take a few family pics and that will be good enough!
  • Options
    I'm not doing them and I didn't with DS. I think most maternity shoots are so cheesy and I do not want to pay a shit ton of money for pics of my bare belly with my belly button poking out.  My neice is taking photography classes and has been asking me to do a maternity shoot. I will probably let her take a few of my clothed bump. I'm with the other ladies, I would rather put the money toward nice family photos once LO is here!

• Options
    Nope, and even though people have told me I'll really wish I had them done in the future, I can't spend that kind of money right now. Plus, I've just felt really awful, and don't want to remember this time. I'll take pics of Minion!
  • Options
    I'm not.  Mainly because of cost, need every penny for the upcoming LO!
  • Options
    None here, and none with DD either.  I'd rather spend the $$ on newborn/family photos.  We had DD's 2-year/family photos done earlier this month and I didn't hide it, but you couldn't absolutely tell I was pregnant either.  We take periodic snapshots at home to document growth, but I'm not a huge fan of the way my bump looks (it's not cute and round, it's a "B" bump), so it's not worth the money to me. 
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am not doing them. My face is so swollen right now and I just don't think I would like them. I am having a photographer come to the house shortly after the baby is born to take newborn and family pictures. I am very excited about these and hope my face isn't so puffy when she comes. 

I will take a few 'selfies' of my bump so that I can look back if I want, but I personally don't think I would do much with the photos if I had them taken. 

chaseandchristian again

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    armalan12 said:
    I'm not doing them because I don't want to pay for them. I'd rather save money for family pictures afterwards. DH and I are taking a picture in front of our Christmas tree and that will be our Christmas card.
    Same here.  Saving the $ is my priority.  I have a friend who is a great amateur photographer, I'm hoping she has a free afternoon some time to take a xmas card for us.

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• Options
    I'm not doing them either. Although I'm sure they're great to have, I honestly just don't feel like putting in the effort (of finding someone i like and making myself look as nice as possible for the shoot) and money to actually do it. We'll have photos from various events and that's all I really feel we need.

Plus, I'm pretty awkward. A big photo shoot with just DF, me and my big belly around a stranger would just make me uncomfortable and anxious.

First BFP 5/29/13 : )

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input ladies! Not only do I realize that i'm not alone in feeling awkward and just not photo worthy its nice to know that you guys are on the same page with cost too!

Im in it for the end result too! If I want to look back and see my bump in the future, I have lots of selfies that i took for hdbd!  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not doing them, but I do need to have DH or someone take some pictures of me. There is only one picture of my mom pregnant with me and I always thought it was a nice thing to see. So I want to have some for LO, just not professional.
    Baby Girl! photo photo-3.jpgphoto 03_Portraits_0537.jpg
    BabyFetus Ticker 

• Options
    armalan12 said:

I'm not doing them because I don't want to pay for them. I'd rather save money for family pictures afterwards. DH and I are taking a picture in front of our Christmas tree and that will be our Christmas card.

Same here on regards to saving money for something else.
    imageimage

• Options
    Yeah not doing them here either. Engagement photos, wedding photos, newborn photos and family photos are all things I get. Those are the pictures I am down to spend money on to have professionally taken because those are the photos I want framed and put around my house. I don't feel cute pregnant and I do not see myself ever wanting to display maternity photos around the house. So why would I pay good money to have them taken?
  • Options
    I like the idea of the maternity photos, but when it comes down to it, it seems like a waste of $$... $$ that could be getting spent elsewhere. DH and I do pictures every year for our Christmas cards, so I'll probably dress up the bump a bit for that, but otherwise, we aren't having any done. I still am trying to talk DH into getting the good newborn photos taken, and he isn't too excited about it!

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    I wanted to get them but our financial priorities have shifted. DH is going to take some pictures when we get our tree and we'vd been taking progress photos the whole time so I think we'll have plenty of photographic evidence of this process.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yeah I'm not doing them and didn't with DS.  I don't feel very comfortable pregnant, just large and swollen. Don't really need professional pictures to document that feeling.  Plus I've never seen anyone use the photos after the baby is born anyway so really what's the point?  We are doing a newborn/family photo shoot within 10 days of her birth so I'd rather save the money for that.
  • Options
    We didn't do them with DS, and we wouldn't be this time either due to cost, but our photographer is throwing in a free mini-family session next month since we are doing newborn pics with her after the baby is born. Couldn't beat free, so we're doing it :) Otherwise, I'm with you ladies that the money would've been better spent elsewhere!
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

• Options
    My boyfriend is trying to talk me into do those gross semi nude ones...not happening. I do not know what Is wrong with him.

I don't really want to do a photo-shoot, I'm okay with BF taking a nice one if he can. I would rather spend the money getting pictures of the baby when she gets here. Oh and I'm doing a 3d ultrasound in a few weeks, this is more important to me then pictures of me.
  • Options
    I'm not doing them either. I just don't know that I would really ever do anything with the pictures. Once the baby comes I imagine all of her pictures will take over so I'll save the money for newborn photos.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm (most likely) not doing them either. Don't get me wrong, I would actually love looking back on this time in my life, but between home remodeling, Christmas, and probably being laid off from my job when I go on maternity leave, I just don't want to bother with the extra expense. I'm also not particularly photogenic and I feel really awkward fake smiling and posing for photos.

I may end up getting a mini maternity session because my BFF's sister is an awesome photographer and has offered to take some pics before or after my baby shower, but since it will be over the holidays and she has a family of her own keeping her busy, I told her I don't want to feel like she had to just because she found out we weren't planning to do any photos until after the baby is born.
    Batman_dickbutt photo 328_batmansmall.jpg

Feb. 2014 Moms January Siggy Challenge: Cute & Clumsy Animals
    Maru!
  • Options
    I was going to at first but I doubt we will now. It's really just not high on my priority list and I feel like I have so many other things to do that are much more important. I think we'll wait until LO gets here and do family photos.
    Married July 2008
    IVF started Jan. 2013, 14 retrieved, 9 mature, 6 fertilized
    BFP #1: 3/18/13 MMC at 5 weeks
    BFP #2: 6/10/13  Thank God for our precious daughter! She's more than I could have asked for!

• Options
    I'm not doing them either. This is baby #4 and I've never done them and dont regret it. They're just not my style. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    None here either. I hate getting my picture taken as it is...being even more self conscious on top of it? No thanks. I have photographer friends who would do it for dirt cheap, but I'll wait until baby is born to spend that money.
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

• Options

I'm not doing a maternity shoot. We did family pictures for Christmas and there are a few where you could see my baby belly. I'm fine with that.

With Christmas, the new baby, and DS's 2nd bday all within three months I really don't have the funds for it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not doing them. Feel opposite of sexy, can't think of a pose that would even look comfortable. Would rather do newborn pics :)
  • Options
    psk said:
    Not doing them. I am in this pregnancy for the end result, not the experience so I don't feel any need to document being pregnant aside from normal photos. There will be plenty of photos during Christmas and my shower for me.

Pretty much this.

We will do newborn photos though.

Same here.
  • Options
    I'm not doing them. My cousin had hers done and I honestly felt like I was looking at her naked when it came to the bare belly pictures. Plus, family members have taken lots of pictures of me anyway with my bump.
    I am going to wait to have family pictures done after my baby is born.
  • Options
    I was leaning towards getting them done, but after reading your posts, I'm thinking maybe I won't. We're going to a formal Christmas party in a few weeks, so I'll make sure to get pics taken then. I know I'll look back at pics of giant me in a formal dress and laugh! And maybe some in front of the Christmas tree. Skipping these professional pics will go along way to taking Boyfriend into paying for newborn/family pics later.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I've been taking a nice belly-pic almost every week, so that's pretty much good enough for me. And I love photography/being in photos! I'll do some newborn photos for sure. I mean, I've been in my boyfriend's band t-shirts and my yoga pants for most of the last few months, I feel like getting all prettied up and posing somewhere random while wearing something flowy and ethereal is just going to look pretty fakey fake cheese-mo in my particular case at this point anyway, ha! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"