January 2013 Moms

SAHMs... What's your day like?

I'm a political consultant and work from home. So far my DD is such a good sleeper and napper that I'm able to get most of my work and calls done while she sleeps.

I'm looking for ways to keep my DD and I busy and sane during the day. She's really social and we live in a high rise in Chicago. We go for a walk every day, even if its just 30 minutes of outside time to keep us from going stir-crazy. She definitely needs new toys, which is great with Christmas right around the corner.

Looking for ways to stay busy in and out of the apartment. Would love to hear what your days are like!
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: SAHMs... What's your day like?

• We also live in a city, which I think makes it easier because there is so much to do within walking/subway distance.

Every week we go to library storytime, baby playtime at the neighborhood art center, a playgroup at our church, drop-in free play at the indoor kids gym/playplace, and all of our shopping is done with walks to various stores. When it is not too cold I try to go to a playground everyday; I rotate around since there are 7 within 3/4 of a mile of us.

That stuff is all free, though some of our playgroups and drop-in play charge once LO turns one. Sometimes I pay to go to a museum or event. If I were willing to pay, I could pack the day with music, art, movement, developmental, etc classes. There are so many. I don't have a car so we walk to everything, which often results in stops to a coffee shop, bakery, or bodega, and chats with the neighbors.
    And of course he plays at home alone and with me.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• We go to Gymboree twice a week. We have playdates with other babies usually at our house since it seems we have a good play space. We also go to the Aquarium or Zoo occasionally since we have year long passes. I was going to the gym for a while which meant she would go to their daycare for an hour or so a few times a week but we have been home for the last few months dealing with some home renovations. I plan on hitting the gym again starting in January.
  • Loading the player...
  • kyrstieskyrsties member
    edited November 2013
    • Well, I get up with DH every morning and see him off, make sure he has everything he needs, coffee on the front porch, etc.
    • Then, I go back to sleep until DD wakes up between 9-11. I feed her, and we watch some TV while she roams around.
    • She goes down for a nap around 12-1. I usually get online for a little bit, clean, start some laundry, load the dishwasher, etc. My best friend calls me around this time, and we talk for awhile.
    • We usually play in the bedroom when she wakes up around 2-3 (after she eats lunch). Read books, bang on pots, play with her toys, etc. I usually clean up mine and her room while we're doing that. 
    • It's usually time for her to eat again after that, so I feed her and finish the laundry, cleaning, dishes, etc. and start dinner. She hangs out in the high chair with me and plays, eats munchies and such. 
    • DH gets home and gets his shower, plays the XBox, etc. He and DD play. We eat dinner. Hang out, he and I watch TV while DD plays on the floor. 
    • She usually gets one more bottle, and it's off to bed for all of us.
    And yeah, that's a typical day for me. We live like 30mins from anything, and right now, since DH's truck blew up, we only have one vehicle 'til the beginning of the year, so I only leave the house occasionally (for doctors appointments and such).

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 - DD conceived April 2012, born January 10, 2013 
    BFP #2 - DS conceived March 2013, born December 20, 2013
    Two babies, 11 months apart! We're in for a ride!

• DS is a very social baby.  Our local mall has a great indoor playground that is toddler friendly.  He loves watching the big kids play and chasing them around, flirting with their parents, etc.  I imagine that we'll be going there at least once a week this winter.  Also, the pet store is a favorite of his between the cats, fish, and guinea pigs, he loves it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"