2nd Trimester

Vent: It's the time of year for rude/sick people

edited November 2013 in 2nd Trimester
Sorry, but I just need to vent. I have to take public transit to work every day, and now that it is cold/flu season I am getting so tired of people who don't know how to cover their mouths when they cough, or cough directly on you instead of turning away. I understand not everyone can necessarily take off work when they are sick (as frustrating as that is), but I wish people could at least exercise some basic hygiene and politeness.

This morning on the bus there was a guy hacking up a lung and not even making a token effort to cover his mouth. People around him (including me) were throwing him dirty looks but he seemed oblivious. I was SO tempted to say something to him like "Excuse me could you try to cover your mouth when you cough. I'm pregnant and don't want to get sick," but I tend to be a quiet/shy person so I couldn't get up the guts to do it. I've been trying to convince myself that since I was sitting about 3 seats away and he wasn't coughing directly on me, I should have been out of distance of his germs, despite the recirculated air.

I try to take care of myself (get enough sleep, wash hands frequently, got my flu shot, drink OJ and take my prenatals), but I'm so worried about getting sick due to these people whose parents never taught them to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. I am considered a high risk pregnancy due to a few factors, the biggest being restrictive lung disease (no, I never smoked, it was something I was born with), but because of that the last thing I need is to end up with some bad respiratory illness when the meds I can take to treat it are limited. I worry about the health of the baby if I get sick and have trouble breathing :( And besides that serious concern, work has been so stressful lately that I've been looking forward to having some time off for Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Between Christmas and New Year's I've taken off, in hopes we can get some stuff done for the baby.) It will be seriously frustrating if instead I end up bedridden.

I just wish people could be more polite. Between the above and all the pushy/shovey people who act like you are in their way when you are just trying to find a safe spot to stand on the train/subway/bus without falling over when the driver slams on the brakes (LOL to someone offering a seat), or you aren't moving fast enough for them when you can't move as quickly as you used to, I'm finding it hard to get into the holiday spirit so far :-/

/end rant
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Vent: It's the time of year for rude/sick people

• I get it and it drives me absolutely nuts, even when I'm not pregnant. People are so disgusting. I was in Starbucks and some guy sneezed on the counter where they put the drinks. It was horrifying. Unfortunately, I work with little kids were I get sneezed on, coughed on, spat on, etc... all day long. They don't know any better, though, where adults should. I really try to teach my students basic hygiene. 

I'd also like to add to the vent that it really upsets me when people don't wash their hands the proper way. I was in a public restroom when a woman walked up to the sink, stuck two fingers under the faucet for approximately 3 seconds and then walked away. I was too shocked to say anything. Above a common cold, I am terrified of getting the stomach flu. People are so dumb.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, between the rude coughers & the stink, I have given up on public transit since being pregnant. I do not miss the people who smell like dirty ashtrays (because they smoke until they are literally exhaling smoke onto the train as they get on) and the people who smell like they're sweating out 20 years of booze. Oh and don't even get me started on the guy who sat down in front of me and I could smell his scalp. His oily freaking scalp. No thanks, can't do it right now. Before I could just sort of tolerate it but now it makes me want to vomit.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the commiseration ladies. ;) It's at least nice to know that I'm not alone in noticing this trend. I wish I could avoid public transit, but unfortunately that's not really a good option for me. I work in a large city and pretty much EVERYONE takes public transit to work, since driving is a nightmare. I'll probably just need to do the best I can to stay healthy and stay away from the sick foks. But it was nice to get it off my chest.

@RedheadBaker Perhaps I could be overreacting, but I suppose I feel like if the doctors see it as a possible concern (to the point of extra monitoring and testing throughout my pregnancy), then I have a right to at least be a bit concerned about it. I have 60% of the lung capacity of a normal adult (before getting pregnant), and I'm also a small person (under 5'), which means there could be more shifting of organs to make room for baby. I've also heard (as a previous poster stated), that your body can react differently when you are pregnant and illnesses can become more severe. In the end, if I did get sick with some real respiratory illness, would it spell doom for the baby? The chances are probably very slim. But could I end up in the hospital, or have to take meds that I would then worry about the safety of? That's more likely. And I feel like it would suck if that happened due to some person who just couldn't be bothered to use basic hygiene we all should have been taught growing up. Thus my rant ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • jennish11 said:
    MJC1116 said:
    I get it and it drives me absolutely nuts, even when I'm not pregnant. People are so disgusting. I was in Starbucks and some guy sneezed on the counter where they put the drinks. It was horrifying. Unfortunately, I work with little kids were I get sneezed on, coughed on, spat on, etc... all day long. They don't know any better, though, where adults should. I really try to teach my students basic hygiene. 

I'd also like to add to the vent that it really upsets me when people don't wash their hands the proper way. I was in a public restroom when a woman walked up to the sink, stuck two fingers under the faucet for approximately 3 seconds and then walked away. I was too shocked to say anything. Above a common cold, I am terrified of getting the stomach flu. People are so dumb.
    I was at a grocery store when a woman (with a 2 year old in the cart) was coughing up a lung as she was bending over the PRODUCE and didn't cover her mouth.  When I shot her a dirty disgusted look, she scolded her grandson for getting her sick.

I also work with several women who talk on their cell phones while taking a dump - often loud dumps.  And one lady even takes a huge crap while on the phone, and then just walks out... doesnt' even bother to pretend she washed her hands.  Needless to say, I steer clear of that lady.

People are fuckin nasty. How do you poop and then not wash your hands?! Good god!! And coughing with your mouth uncovered? I think anyone over toddler age should know to do this. Gross bastards. Ok, end of mini rant.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • This is why i'm glad I drive to work alone.

When I went for my NT scan, I needed to pee afterwards, so I used the bathroom in the hospital. While I was washing my hands, the woman from the next stall came out, looked in the mirror and just walked right on out of there! This was in a HOSPITAL! I really hope she was leaving and not going to visit someone. Thing is, she saw me and still walked out without washing her hands! At least she had the courage of her convictions.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• OP I don't think you are over reacting at all.

I have severe asthma that is reasonably well controlled with regular doses of my controller medicine.  When I get any kind of respiratory illness though it's a completely different story!  Basically in my case, rescue inhalers are completely ineffective if I have a bad enough chest cold or flu.  If I were to have any kind of asthma attack while sick I could literally die in the time it would take to call 911.  If mom is suffering from lack of oxygen, baby can't be doing well either (I'm not a Dr. so maybe I'm way off.)

I feel like making sure you are able to breathe easily is really important and if that means staying healthy then I completely understand your concern.

I can't believe it when people don't wash their hands especially after pooping!!! Yuck!

imageimage

Baby #1 due June 5th, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"