November 2013 Moms
Options

Messy Eater?

Shelby is a very messy eater. She is eating at the breast finally, but she wastes a good bit of milk. She doesn't swallow what she pulls out and spits it out instead or she will fall asleep and continue to suck but it dribbles out her mouth. Also, she will pull off right after sucking vigorously for a let down, which leads to me being covered in milk and  her being angry that she didn't get anything. I am soaked after every feeding. Despite my efforts at prevention.
Does anyone else have a messy eater at the breast? How are you combating all the leakage?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Messy Eater?

• Options
    My other breast lets down, too. My nipple are so sensitive right now that I let down if something brushes them or I hear her crying.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep! My right boob has been spraying like crazy when I let down. Bf'ing is such a process with us I have to sit down take my shirt off and tuck a towel under little man and my boobs. At this point I couldn't imagine bf'ing in public!
  • Options
    Have you tried nursing while leaning back?  So, lie on a recline -- on your bed supported by pillows would work.  Make sure you have something to absorb any excess (burp cloth, cloth diapers or plain old towel).  Lay baby on top of you on their stomach, and let them latch and nurse.  If you have a forceful letdown or engorgement or wicked forceful spray, it may be too much for baby to handle.  So, this position can help with that.

This could totally NOT be the problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.  Sorry you're getting drenched.  I know the feeling very well!! :) 
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I used to pump the other side while feeding because the waste of liquid gold was too much to bear. =)

I leaned back this time around while feeding til my milk supply regulated itself. I swear it did so much faster than it had with my first but that was a long time ago so who knows.
  • Options
    mtb21 said:
    My other breast lets down, too. My nipple are so sensitive right now that I let down if something brushes them or I hear her crying.
    That's normal. I had an over supply and over active letdown with my first. I just held a thick quilted burp cloth under my boob when I was nursing him to try and contain the mess. It got better once my supply regulated. If you are leaking a lot from the side you are not nursing on, you could also try these. https://www.mymilkies.com/milksaver
    I actually have these and find them helpful. I don't use them each time I nurse but I can collect anywhere from 0.5 oz to 1.5 oz when I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"