February 2013 Moms

CD Mamas Question

Just got new washer and dryer after my machines blew up. I have a set of front loaders now and I am just wondering if you need to use more detergent with front loaders? I just fished washing my first load of diapers, and they smell... Hinky. They are clean, don't smell like pee or poo, but they just don't smell fresh. I can't tell if they are just off because they sat dirty for several days while my washer was kaput, or if it's because my semi-used machine say unused and outside for about a week.
                We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

Re: CD Mamas Question

• Front loaders don't use as much water so your diapers may not be getting rinsed clean. Be sure to use a larger water setting so you get as much water as possible. You could also try 'cleaning' your washer, there are additives for just cleaning the machine because front loaders do get a weird smell just by themselves. Hope that helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe they didn't get rinsed enough and still have soap in them? I think that is the general thing I've heard with front loader washers (I've got an older top load, which uses more water, which I heard is better for cloth diapers). Maybe search your washer model and cloth diaper tips online to find which cycles use the most water. You could also try soaking the diapers for 30-60 minutes at the start of the wash cycle if you think they sat too long before washing?
  • Loading the player...
  • Actually, they don't smell like my soap at all! My detergent has a mild scent and I can't smell it. I washed 5 bath sheets with the diapers, and set the machine on its heaviest wash cycle, so I'm thinking that maybe they were just REALLY stale? I mean, the diapers sat for 3 days while we were out of tone over the weekend (we didn't anticipate being gone so long), then I put them in the wash on a rice cycle in my old machine. They rinsed once then the washer filled with water and quit. It took several hours before I realized that the washer was broken and they sat and stewed. Then my DH finally got the water to drain, but they continued to sit in the broken washer for two days until I was able to wash them in the new washer.

I was just curious because I can't smell the detergent at all, I wondered if I wasn't using enough.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I know you are in a cold climate, but maybe a good sunning would help?
  • Gftf7 said:

I know you are in a cold climate, but maybe a good sunning would help?

If it wails stop snowing long enough for the sun to come out... Lol! That's a great idea. I'll set them out the next time we see daylight!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"