Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Water issues?

Hello,

we live in the country so we're not using city water but our own well. I tried switching my now 3 week old to powder formula (he was on premixed before) and he was just miserable. Bad gas etc. My husband mentioned something about our water giving him a hard time. I don't know whom to ask, since my GP is an idiot and I have to find another doctor for LO. I also couldn't find anything on the internet, so if anybody knows anything and would like to share it with me that would be greatly appreciated. I'll try it again when he's a bit older and if he still has problems I might have to buy the nursery water at the store.

Re: Water issues?

• CDMay2006CDMay2006 member
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure what you are asking, exactly, but I'll give it a shot.
    You can (and should) have your well water tested regularly. It could be perfectly safe for adults, but high in minerals that are rough on lo's still-underdeveloped digestive system. You should be fine with regular purified water, but nursery water is approximately the same cost and may give you more peace of mind.
    Hope that was helpful :)
    Eta: typo
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • We have a Kangen Water Ionization System with a kick-ass filter so we have been using that. But the machine is $4,300 so it isn't a reasonable option for most, unless you've heard and are sold on the system.
    However a good friend of our who did formula as well only used the nursery water for making formula or diluting juice when her LO was older. I would try this. It is available on Amazon, Target or Diapers.com.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Loading the player...
  • Excuse the gigantic JPEG, ooopsies. And that kid's eyes are creepy.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• What powder formula are you using? We had a hard time switching our LO from the premixed nursette bottles of Enfamil Newborn to the powder version. As it turns out, they are actually "different" consistency and it did cause DS an issue. We eventually stopped the premixed stuff and are successfully using Enfamil Gentlease.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everybody! I've switched back to his premixed (Similac). I tried to easily switch him to Parent's Choice Formula from Walmart but like I said it made him very gassy. I've actually seen that same water at our local Walmart, so when he's a bit older I'll try that (the eyes on that kid do look really creepy) lol
  • Just a thought - when you mix the powder formula let it sit for about 15 minutes so the bubbles settle so your not giving the baby extra reason to be gassy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"