Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Activities when it's too cold?

Hey all.  I have a 2.10 year old son and I babysit other toddlers, too.  So on average, I have 3 toddlers a day and my 13 month old.  In short, it's getting damn cold outside.  I usually take the children out twice a day for at least 45 minutes, usually longer if weather permits!  But every time I take them out now they ask when we can go inside.  They shiver and are pretty much over it in 5-10 minutes.  Either that or they climb all over me and whine.  What do you guys do when it's 20 degrees out and your kids don't want to be outside?  I need ideas! :]
Little Man 1.8.11
Freshie Girl 9.29.12

Re: Activities when it's too cold?

• Options
    Arts and crafts?  Dress up time?  Baking or cooking something?  Movies?  Puzzles?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Winter is brutal. Some of the things we do: park the cars outside and let him play in the garage with his trikes and trucks, our basement is unfinished so the same thing downstairs (all depends where I need to clean ;)), switch out his toys and bring out some that he hasn't played with in a while, he chases the dog with his truck, and when I really can't take it anymore, we go to the mall and let him play in the playland or push his stroller around. Also, maybe put the kids in an activity to break up the week? Mine goes to daycare, but I did 6 weeks of swimming lessons last year, and plan to again in January. Do you have gymnastics or something else at a local gym (YMCA or whatever?). Our swimming lesson was only $25 for 6 sessions, although, I don't think you could do swimming lessons with 4 kids, but maybe another activity?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I envy you. LO plays happily in actual below zero. I'm the one who whines after ten minutes.

Last winter we invested in an inflatable jumper. About $80.
  • Options
    I have a 2 and 3 yo, baby on the way, and do full time child care for a 2.5 yo and almost 6 month old. Getting outside is difficult even on nice days, so I've been collecting large motor toys to be used indoors for days when we just can't go out. Slide, tents and tunnels, inflatable kiddie pool filled with ball pit balls, toddler size basketball hoop, balance beam, riding/push toys. We have dance parties to "kid music" and sometimes they just chase each other in circles. 

When we need something calmer, we have story time and everyone gets a chance to choose at least 2 books, so it takes up plenty of time. Play doh is great if you have kids who won't eat it, it keeps my two girls busy for minimum of 20 minutes, sometimes even and hour. Dress up or playing restaurant in their play kitchen is a favorite.

Really desperate days I turn up the heat and strip everyone down to diapers/undies and let them have an "indoor beach" in the kitchen - bowls of soapy water and washcloths/sponges. I don't do it often because it can get pretty crazy/messy, but they think it's the best and my kitchen floor is usually spotless once we've cleaned up ;)
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I put DD in the shower in her bathing suit and tell her we're playing splash park. She would willingly stay in there and play until the hot water was gone!
    imageimage
  • Options
    -Paint with water books
    -color
    -tunnel (I have a collapsible tunnel so I can store it.)
    -make a balance beam out of the pillows off our couch and help her walk all along it
    -Make tents out of blankets
    -read
    -watch a movie (although she has a short attention span)
    -ride her little trike in the basement

Outside of the house:
    -go to the library
    -go to the play area at our local mall
    -go to the local pet store...we call it the indoor zoo. She sees all the animals and then we go home.

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"