July 2013 Moms
Options

Sore throat-suggestions?

I have taken tylenol/ibuprofen for the pain and I'm gargling warm salt water. Is there anything else you all can suggest to help that is safe while BF to help with the pain and maybe get some sleep? I can't sleep because it hurts so bad, plus my ears are also killing me. I'm starting to cough too, so I'm out on the couch so I don't wake DS and MH. Ugh! What a way to start Thanksgiving week. :(

Re: Sore throat-suggestions?

• Options
    Peppermint candy or life savers to suck on and coat your throat. Steam, humidifier, tons of fluids. Hope you feel better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options
    Hot tea with honey!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rmnam1 said:

A spoonful of honey can soothe a scratchy throat

A spoon full of sugar don't make anything go down though. Mary poppins lied! Bleh. Such an awful horrible idea.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options
    Have you tried using a Neti pot? Clearing out your sinuses can make a world of difference. :) Feel better!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I just made some Sleepytime tea and added honey. My dog (who hasn't really cared much for me since coming home from the hospital) just jumped up on the couch to lay with me. I guess she can tell that I feel terrible :(
  • Options
    etoille said:

hot whiskey, lemon, and honey.

Its how I started drinking whiskey.

I'm taking 1/2 day sick day this morning to run to the clinic, to see if I need antibiotics and to see if I'm contagious. If I don't go into work this afternoon, I might try this! I'm up for anything. My throat has not hurt this bad in years. Yuck.
  • Options
    Thanks, @etoille. I have all of the ingredients in the house!
  • Options
    Take some zinc! Every time I feel a sore throat coming on, I take it and it helps! Could also try some emergen-C which is basically just extra vitamins!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Netti pot works wonders. Not sure how safe mucinex is for BF, but I could take it while pregnant. Good luck!
  • Options
    Honestly, I started taking the mucinex the second I woke up feeling bad because I knew it would develop into crap. Jump on that crap now!!! Lol

Ps I don't work for them, I promise!!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! It got better for a few hours, now it's terrible again :( I will definitely try some of these. MH is starting to feel pretty terrible too. I'm about to go buy some Jack Daniels and some Mucinex. This is definitely the worst sore throat I've ever had :( ugh.
  • Options
    My throat was killing me last week and our nanny surprised me with her special 'syrup'... My sore throat was gone the next day and now I'm recommending it to everyone! :)

Boil water, sliced up ginger, and sliced up lemon in a pot for 45 minutes. At the end, add a little bit of raspberry tea, sugar, or honey for the flavor... Drink it hot. It really warms you up inside and ginger is known for its medicinal qualities. I read it's also good for losing weight (if anyone's interested!)

Feel better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

*On 4.28.11 we said goodbye to our angel baby (D&E at 18.5 weeks)*
  • Options
    some of this may sound stupid but I swear it really helps. The idea is you need to heat your body through to get better. Wear socks and a scarf to sleep. Put cotton balls in your ears and wear a hat to sleep. If you are home tomorrow keep this stuff on all day. The heat really really helps. Also can you use vicks vapor rub? Do this and drink only warm/hot things. Tea with lemon, chicken broth, etc. again I know this sounds silly but it has saved me so many times! I hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    That sounds like what I had last winter. I didn't sleep for 3 days. I'm sorry, it really sucks.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"