3rd Trimester

27 Weeks Along - Is This Small?

Hi all,

Since I'm a first time Mom, I have my worries. I've been reading online at several sites about some women who have small bumps at 27-28 weeks, and people say that the baby is growing fine. I'm wondering if the 27 week bump I have in this picture is small in comparison with other women who are at 27 weeks.

I'll be 28 weeks tomorrow, in my 3rd trimester. Just trying to keep my fears down!

Re: 27 Weeks Along - Is This Small?

• It isn't the outward size that is important, but the fundal height. You're probably just fine. Has your doctor expressed any concern? I think you're worrying over nothing.
  • Loading the player...
  • At the last appointment, during my 25 week appointment, she said the baby was measuring at 24 weeks. But that was definitely within range. You're probably right.
  • I never get "huge" with my pregnancies. I always measured at least a week behind with DS and DD. DS was 7 lbs 10 ounces, 21 inches and DD was 6 lbs 9 ounces 20.5 inches. Some people just don't have huge bumps and still have healthy babies!
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?

• Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?
    I'm nearly 5 foot 5.
  • I'm pretty small too. Was before I got knocked up. I'm 28w2d and same height as you
  • I was small until about 31 weeks. Then everything just kind of blew up! Lol! I know the feeling though. As long as your doc says everything is okay I wouldn't worry. Some people are just small. :)
  • I look similar at 29 weeks.  Has your doctor said anything about you being small?
  • Looks exactly like mine with my first at 27 weeks. 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• No, she said I was gaining the right amount of weight so far. Last time I knew of my weight, I had only gained 5lbs in 5 months.

Maybe it's just the way my stomach is made.
  • 5lbs in 5 months!  Wow, I'm a porker!  I've gained 20 lbs and I'm just now 28 weeks.  I think the taller you are the less you show maybe?  I'm only 5'2 so by the time i was 18 weeks my pudge was already sticking out.  
  • I was showing some before 28 weeks but everyone kept commenting on how small I was, I felt big compared to where I had been, but was frustrated that I was considered "small" to everyone else. Right around 28 weeks I started to "blow up" as one commenter said. Now at 30 weeks I am unmistakably pregnant (a bit of TMI: I had to go in for my prenatal appointment yesterday and I could no longer see where to place the cup for my urine sample). I think that everyone's body is different and reacts differently, as long as your little one is gaining the "right" amount of weight and your doctor hasn't expressed concern then I would try not to worry :) Don't compare yourself to anyone else because you are obviously pregnant not just by your bump but by your glow! 

• No, she said I was gaining the right amount of weight so far. Last time I knew of my weight, I had only gained 5lbs in 5 months.

Maybe it's just the way my stomach is made.

She wasn't asking about the weight you've gained, since that doesn't tell you how baby is growing.

Has the doctor measured your belly? From your pubic bone to the top of your uterus? That's a fairly decent indicator of growth. Have you had an ultrasound?

Bump size doesn't really mean anything at all. I've had friends whose babies were small who had huge bumps at 14 weeks and friends with huge babies who didn't need maternity clothes until 30 weeks.

Oh, and this is bitchy, but clean your mirror!

image image
  • My bump always seemed kinda small to me too, probably partially because I'm a bit of a skinny minnie. But bump size doesn't necessarily indicate baby size - some ladies have a huge bump and a tiny baby! 

My doctor told me that one reason why some women show a little later is because they have well developed abdominal muscles, which basically pack baby, his house, and all your other belly stuff in tighter longer. So you're probably just kinda firm and buff under there, ha! 

If your doctor isn't concerned, then you don't need to be :-) 
  • If your doctor isn't concerned, you shouldn't worry. External appearance isn't a big deal as long as you're on track with fundal measurement. And you can measure 2 or so cm up or down from your week and it be no big deal. I'm 5'4" and am about the same size now that my best friend was the day she delivered. She's about 5'8" and a FTM. I'm a second time mom. Your stomach muscles are still pretty toned so you will be smaller. With my first, I was pretty small up until the last month. I also carry out, and my BFF carried mostly inside. There are a lot of factors to bump size, but rarely is external size an indication of a problem.

J. Jackson

Feb '14 March Siggy Challenge: Face Slaps

Daisypath - (SVGA)
    Lilypie - (xd4F)
    Lilypie - (jQcs)
  • I'm 5'8 and at 26 weeks by bump looks kind of like yours. I went to the doctor this Wednesday and asked her if I was too small. She measured my fundal height and said everything looked good and that the baby is only the size of the palm of your hand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"